Flying Fish recommendations?

Zeno

The last time I was in Barbados (some years ago) I had the most delicious flying fish sandwich. Since we will be there on our next cruise - I would REALLY like to eat another one.

Can anyone recommend a couple of places that serve a really good flying fish sandwich - preferably on a beach or near the port?

Thx

The last time I was in Barbados (some years ago) I had the most delicious flying fish sandwich. Since we will be there on our next cruise - I would REALLY like to eat another one.

Can anyone recommend a couple of places that serve a really good flying fish sandwich - preferably on a beach or near the port?

Thx

You can get your flying fish sandwich from either the boatyard(now called taboo) or weisers beach bar. I am assuming you maybe spending your day at the beach.

We intend to get some sort of taxi tour and then go to a beach - not sure I want to go to the Boatyard beach area - sounds too "busy" for me but I amy change my mind. We were thinking more of Accra beach.

We intend to get some sort of taxi tour and then go to a beach - not sure I want to go to the Boatyard beach area - sounds too "busy" for me but I amy change my mind. We were thinking more of Accra beach.

You should be able to get your flying fish sandwich up there as well. Pretty much any place that caters for tourists and locals too will have this delicacy available for your consumption;).

HAHHA - I selected this thread cos from the title I thought it would tell me where to best see flying fish whilst cruising.

Imagine my surprise to see you asking if you could eat them in a sandwich!!!! LOL (being vegan this was the furtherest thing from my mind!!)

Gave me a laugh anyway!

While we were on a tour with a driver from Cameron Reid's services, we asked our driver to take us to a nice restaurant for lunch. I really wanted to try flying fish. He took us to Round House, a very nice restaurant in a spectacular setting. If you have some time to spend enjoying the view and a leisurely lunch, I highly recommend this restaurant. http://www.roundhousebarbados.com/index.htm

I have been reading about flying fish. What is that? You see I am allergic to seafood and some fish. I wanted to try it but a little scared. Is it mild?

Thanks

Flying fish as the name suggests..is a fish that can fly(for short distances). It is a very small fish and quite delicious:). I am sure Aplmac may have some before and after pictures of them.

I am not sure if you can try it based on your seafood allergy but I will reiterate again it is VERY delicious.;):p

I really wanted to try flying fish.

He took us to Round House, a very nice restaurant in a spectacular setting.

If you have some time to spend enjoying the view and a leisurely lunch, I highly recommend this restaurant.

http://www.roundhousebarbados.com/index.htm

That's it!

RHouse-11.jpg

and this is the view out back, if you know where to find it!!

RHouse-96.jpg

Flying fish as the name suggests..is a fish that can fly(for short distances).

It is a small fish and quite delicious:). I am sure Aplmac may have some before and after pictures of them.

I am not sure if you can try it based on your seafood allergy but I will reiterate again it is VERY delicious.;):p

A more accurate name for it would be Gliding Fish, since it doesn't flap its "wings"(pectoral fins)

It uses an extra-long extension of the lower lobe on its tail to generate forward speed

but that's another long story. ;)

I've seen them glide as long as about 400 yds. :eek:

Yes, I know...astonishing!

And for once Keith, you have me over a barrel!

I have neither before nor after shots of Flying Fish.

I must make amends.

Apologies! :D

To Sierra641, yes, it is a mild whitefish, to my recollection. It was very tasty. But, if you have fish allergies, I would be very hesitant to sample any fish on a cruise and chance getting sick. I mean, the ship's Drs are very capable (my husband and I have both had to visit them at one time or another), but you wouldn't want to miss any of your cruise time due to an illness that could have been easily avoided, would you? :eek:

flyingfish2.JPG

Steamed Flying Fish and Cou-Cou

Cou-Cou:

 2 cups water

 10 small okra, finely sliced

 1/4 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped

 1 teaspoon salt

 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

 1/2 pound fine cornmeal

Flying Fish:

 8 Flying Fish (about 1 1/2 pounds), scaled, boned, and butterflied

 3 tablespoons Bajan seasoning (also called green seasoning)

 Lime juice, as needed

 Salt, as needed

 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

 2 large onions, sliced

 3 cloves garlic, sliced

 1 stalk celery, diced

 1 bay leaf

 2 tablespoons catsup

 1/2 teaspoon curry powder

 1/2 teaspoon mustard

 1 teaspoon sugar

 1 cup water or fish stock

 1/4 green bell pepper, sliced

 1/4 yellow bell pepper, sliced

 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced

 2 large tomatoes, chopped

 2 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, like dill, chives, parsley, and thyme

 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Directions:

Make the Cou-Cou: Combine the water, okra, red pepper, salt, and hot sauce in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until very thick. Transfer half of the okra mixture to a bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to the okra mixture in the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low. While stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon, sprinkle in the cornmeal a little at a time, and cook until thick. Add the remaining okra mixture and 2 tablespoons butter and stir until smooth. Cover to keep warm.

Make the Flying Fish: Rub the flesh side of the fish with the Bajan seasoning and lime juice, and season with the salt, to taste. Roll each fish up tightly and secure with a toothpick.

Heat the butter in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the catsup, curry, mustard, and sugar and stir. Add the water, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Arrange the rolled fish in the skillet and cover with the bell peppers, tomato, herbs, and hot sauce. Cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.

Divide the cou-cou among the plates, make a well in each, and spoon the fish and sauce over the top.

Steamed, fried or baked, it is wonderful. :) :):)

Barbados, fantastic photo of the flying fish! Thanks!

Zeno, it was a wonderful restaurant. There were 5 of us, including our driver, and we all tried something different from the menu and we all thoroughly enjoyed our lunches. The photo's that Aplmac provided are lovely, but the view from our table was even more spectacular. It was almost as tho' we were at the water's edge.

flyingfish2.JPG

What are we seeing here?

The odd zig-zag pattern in the water behind the airborne fish

is the path left by the burst of strenuous wiggling

of that 'extra-long extension of the lower lobe on his tail' I mentioned, a few posts upwind

-to generate forward speed so he can continue his glide another 50 yds. or so.

I've seen them do this repeatedly, again and again, to maintain flight status

never more than about 1-2 ft. above the waves.

While fishing offshore, I've seen behaviour this many times

but never a photo to capture the moment!

Well done,photographer! ;)

And for once Keith, you have me over a barrel!

I have neither before nor after shots of Flying Fish.

I must make amends.

Apologies! :D

Oh my...this is indeed a first but I have confidence in your ability to right this situation expeditiously.:D;)

Barbados: that is indeed a magnificent pic but you have already received confirmation of this from the king of great pics..Aplmac.:)

flyingfish2.JPG

Steamed Flying Fish and Cou-Cou

Cou-Cou:

 2 cups water

 10 small okra, finely sliced

 1/4 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped

 1 teaspoon salt

 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

 1/2 pound fine cornmeal

Flying Fish:

 8 Flying Fish (about 1 1/2 pounds), scaled, boned, and butterflied

 3 tablespoons Bajan seasoning (also called green seasoning)

 Lime juice, as needed

 Salt, as needed

 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

 2 large onions, sliced

 3 cloves garlic, sliced

 1 stalk celery, diced

 1 bay leaf

 2 tablespoons catsup

 1/2 teaspoon curry powder

 1/2 teaspoon mustard

 1 teaspoon sugar

 1 cup water or fish stock

 1/4 green bell pepper, sliced

 1/4 yellow bell pepper, sliced

 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced

 2 large tomatoes, chopped

 2 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, like dill, chives, parsley, and thyme

 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Directions:

Make the Cou-Cou: Combine the water, okra, red pepper, salt, and hot sauce in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until very thick. Transfer half of the okra mixture to a bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to the okra mixture in the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low. While stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon, sprinkle in the cornmeal a little at a time, and cook until thick. Add the remaining okra mixture and 2 tablespoons butter and stir until smooth. Cover to keep warm.

Make the Flying Fish: Rub the flesh side of the fish with the Bajan seasoning and lime juice, and season with the salt, to taste. Roll each fish up tightly and secure with a toothpick.

Heat the butter in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the catsup, curry, mustard, and sugar and stir. Add the water, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Arrange the rolled fish in the skillet and cover with the bell peppers, tomato, herbs, and hot sauce. Cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.

Divide the cou-cou among the plates, make a well in each, and spoon the fish and sauce over the top.

Steamed, fried or baked, it is wonderful. :) :):)

OK - my mouth is watering now! I have definitely decided that I MUST have flying fish when on Barbados.

weisers beach bar-they are still open?I had thought I read they were closed.

You can get your flying fish sandwich from either the boatyard(now called taboo) or weisers beach bar. I am assuming you maybe spending your day at the beach.

• 6 months later...

Aplmac had lunch at the Hilton yesterday! :)

HiltonCascade-829.jpg

I had their wonderful Flying Fish Sandwich platter

and let me tell you it was goood!

I was with a N.Carolina couple off Celebrity Constellation

and when time came for lunch, they went for my suggestion that we do Hilton

as it was nearby anyway.

BHilton-43.jpg

Since we were there just for a quick lunch stop

we simply walked right in, went down to the poolside bar/restaurant area

got a table for three and were quickly shown Lunch Menus.

The lady had a (turkey?)Panini, but us guys both went for their Flying Fish Sandwich platter deal

at Bds.$ 34 per person, which amounts to U.S.$ 17 pp.

We each got two flying fish on a very nice bran bun

with a portion of crisp tasty French Fries (I don't usually do fries, but I sure did yesterday!)

a bunch of green salad and Cole Slaw, two pieces of sweet plantain

and the all-important Tartar sauce in a lil container on the side.

HiltonPool-817.jpg

Tartar sauce was applied to the fish and we got busy.

Let's just say that conversation immediately fell silent

-always a good indicator of tasty food!

If you spend your day ashore at the Hilton, and you fancy trying the local Flying Fish

this should be your lucky day, if you got what we did..

It was a meal!

Enjoy!

I did find my flying fish sandwich

(can't remember the name of the beach restaurant but it was on Brandon's Beach)

and it was sooooo yummy. Just as good as I remembered.

On Brandon's Beach?

That was very likely to be at Weiser's Beach Bar.

Does that name ring a bell? Very close to the Port.

You could see your ship from there, couldn't you?

• 7 months later...
Is this beach walkable from the ship -or do you need to take a taxi?
Yes, it's walkable but..

the route is somewhat circuitous and confusing --thru ugly docklands(aren't they all?)

After going thru the Port's gatehouse, you've got to double back on yourself to get there..

Taking a short and inexpensive taxi ride might be the best way to get there

but it depends on just how hot/humid the day is.

Walking back might be a better bet, since you can see your ship from Weisers

so you'd just kinda follow your nose, back

but by then (3-4 p.m.) the afternoon heat will be a factor..

Archived