HAL not what we expected

InDreams2

I have to agree with aaerobear on this one. I love sea days too....and never feel bored or closed in.....but I have friends who have asked me...."What would you EVER do on a ship for so many days. I would go nuts after 4 or 5 days".....amazing thoughts to me.....guess they just aren't CRUISERS!!

Re the very subjective issue of complaints--I remember being in the gym and hearing the woman complaining and complaining during one of our Hal Vista voyages. It was a blustery sea day and the wind was whipping up the waves, Quote:. " I will never sail on Hal again - Princess is so much smoother! " :confused:

Re the very subjective issue of complaints--I remember being in the gym and hearing the woman complaining and complaining during one of our Hal Vista voyages. It was a blustery sea day and the wind was whipping up the waves, Quote:. " I will never sail on Hal again - Princess is so much smoother! " :confused:

Now THAT'S funny!! I am grinning here! :D:D

I have to agree with aaerobear on this one. I love sea days too....and never feel bored or closed in.....but I have friends who have asked me...."What would you EVER do on a ship for so many days. I would go nuts after 4 or 5 days".....amazing thoughts to me.....guess they just aren't CRUISERS!!

We have dear friends who just can't understand why we love to cruise. They claim they would be bored to death on a cruise. Yet this same couple loves to book an all-inclusive resort vacation and just sit at the beach all day reading books or knitting. LOL So everyone has a different idea of the "great vacation".

As for the OP, attitude is so important. If you think you won't like this cruise, why book it? Spend your $$$ on a vacation you KNOW you will enjoy. JMO

People who are bitter and mean should stay home. When you have an awful time, please, please don't tell me. Too much information. Like I care. Sorry, but seriously I luv everyone but it gets to me how much people can be so wicked spoiled. Imagine. John Lennon got it right.:)

Heavens! What school did you go to that had a cafeteria that resembled the Lido buffet on a Holland America ship?

Sorry, but your comparison is, IMO, unfair.

Stephen

It would depend perhaps when the OP sailed HAL.

We sailed the Maasdam in its inaugural year. If you will recall, the Lido presented 2 single lines, one port and one starboard. This brought high school cafeteria to my mind too, but only in that respect. Of course where cuisine is concerned, well, the food in our high school could not properly be called cuisine as I understand the meaning of the term.

To speak to the OP's question, maybe it would depend on how much you like your friends. I doubt very much that the experience on a HAL ship, however you may prefer other lines, could in any way detract from the joy of going out into the world with people that you like to share doing the kind of things you enjoy doing.

I think just about all the LIDO restaurants have been brought up-to-date if that is problem. My understanding is younger cruisers tend towards the shorter rather than the longer vacations if that is a consideration.

But in short, should you take a vacation on a dam ship?

HAL YES. :D

Smooth sailing...

People who are bitter and mean should stay home. When you have an awful time, please, please don't tell me. Too much information. Like I care. Sorry, but seriously I luv everyone but it gets to me how much people can be so wicked spoiled. Imagine. John Lennon got it right.:)

Suse, you are so right! My wife and I save hard for our annual cruise and will not let minor matters spoil things. Just back from Eurodams Baltic cruise in August and being our first time with HAL loved it, although we did notice differences from Celebrity and Azamara. To those people who seem to moan and gripe continuously, please stay at home, save your money or alternatively choose a different cruise ship from me.

Archived