Single Stateroom

Newcruiser06

My DH and I are booked on the Eurodam Dec 5 for the Eastern Carib cruise. I have a friend who is thinking about taking the same cruise - but she would be alone. Do you have to pay for two people to have a single stateroom? And when I look at cruise prices online - they always seem to assume there will be two even on the HAL site.

How does she find out the price for a single?

Thanks

Carrie

To find out the price for a single, you have to put the number 1 as the number of adults in the cabin, rather than 2, when you go onto any online travel site, in order to find out the occupancy rate for a single. The amount extra will vary, depending on the type of cabin selected. The price is anywhere from 138% to 200% of the double occupancy rate. 200% is usually for verandahs, though.

There's one way to avoid the single supplement altogether (other than bunking in with you, that is). HAL has something called a Guaranteed Share Program.

In two select categories (K-category for inside; I don't recall for outside) HAL allows you to pay the per person, double occupancy rate, and they attempt to find someone to share the cabin. If they don't, you get the cabin to yourself without additional payment.

This is not for everybody, but if you can be flexible and agreeable, or otherwise can't afford to cruise, it's worth considering.

You can put in 1 person to check the single rates on the HAL site--just click on the cruise you want and start the booking process--it'll give you the rate long before you have to actually purchase the cruise.

There was a relatively long thread in the last day or two on this board about single supplements that you might want to find and read.

Archived