Rome-visiting the vatican

scp1

For those who have visitied the vatican in the summer, just a question regarding attire. If wearing a sundress, it is alright to cover your arms with a scarf..or do you have to have a shirt with sleeves connected. Also, when wearing a nice dress, not a "mini" are they really picky about the length of the dress?

Thanks for any help, just trying to plan for a long hot drive to the city, but want to be proper.

You can cover your arms with a scarf; just make sure the scarf is large enough to really "cover" the shoulder and upper arms. I have read this year on Tripadvisor of girls in cap sleeves getting turned away, so I assume you must have at least slightly more coverage than a cap sleeve.

Knees MUST be covered. That's the rule, and at St. Peters they enforce it pretty consistently. Here is the sign displayed there:

IMG_2273.JPG

If you'll note, on the "men's attire" side, they do not show anything other than long pants as acceptable. There have been varying reports -- sometimes men with long shorts are allowed in, but sometimes not.

Yes, a few people undoubtedly sneak past.... But to me it is more a matter of respecting the wishes of those who graciously allow everyone to visit and enjoy this wonderful basilica (and many others) at no charge.

Archived