Solo Cruiser hotel

TSUmom

I will be cruising solo and am looking for suggestions on what hotel would be best (safest). I am not afraid to travel alone but am wondering if some areas are a bit safer than others.:confused: I plan on walking some and sightseeing just in the area I will be staying. I have been looking at the Hilton Inn Miami or the Marriott Biscayne. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance - Cruise Critic members are awesome and so full of helpful tips!!!:)

there is nothing to walk to near the Biscayne Bay Marriott...the hotel is fine, but there is nothing around...

The Biscayne Bay Marriott should be close to or connected to the Metro Mover, which will drop you off 1 block from Bayside.

I would stay either in Downtown Miami or on South Beach. You probably want to stay away from the area around the airport as it is not the safest, especially for a woman travelling alone.

If those 2 are your ONLY choices pick the Biscayne Bay Marriott over the Hilton. The Hilton is on top of a long abandoned shopping mall and it's not in a good area. The Marriott is only a block away but it's safer IMO.

There's NOTHING to walk to from either one, and you do NOT want to be walking around alone near either one... If you're alone do NOT take the Metro Mover either, take a taxi!

Using the metro mover ALONE is not a safe suggestion. Stay at the Intercontinental or Holiday Inn Port of Miami if staying downtown and you can walk alone to Bayside for dinner.

If you would rather, you could stay in the South beach area that is also safe for walking. There are other areas too like Coconut Grove, where you can spend time at the Coco walk area.

Thank you for the replies - I am not limited to those but they are offered by the cruiseline and I thought I would just book the hotel and transfers thru the cruiseline. They also have Four Points Sheraton, JW Marriott and Marriot South Beach. I will only be there for 1 nite and will board ship the next day but was looking for safety and convenience. I will keep checking, thanks to all...

Thank you for the replies - I am not limited to those but they are offered by the cruiseline and I thought I would just book the hotel and transfers thru the cruiseline. They also have Four Points Sheraton, JW Marriott and Marriot South Beach. I will only be there for 1 nite and will board ship the next day but was looking for safety and convenience. I will keep checking, thanks to all...

WHOA!!!! Unless you want to pay double for the "convenience", don't book thru the cruiseline. You can easily do all this on your own.

WHOA!!!! Unless you want to pay double for the "convenience", don't book thru the cruiseline. You can easily do all this on your own.

+1!!!

NEVER book hotels, or airfare through your cruise line. You can do sooooooooo much better on your own!

+1!!!

NEVER book hotels, or airfare through your cruise line. You can do sooooooooo much better on your own!

Ditto!

Me three!

I've traveled solo and in an effort to save afew $$, I always make my own arrangements. I usually won't go out at night unless the area is lit and populated. Just use your good common sense and wherever you stay, you should be fine.

Thank you again for the suggestions. I am now planning on staying in the South Beach area, booking a hotel on my own. We have always used the hotel and transfer services thru NCL but that was exDH's idea and he was paying. Anything to save a few dollars. Next question, Taxi or shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port and then reverse. Any suggestions. Ya'll are being so helpful, I appreciate all of the insight:)

Congratulations of breaking the tradition! For sure it's easy to cab it to South Beach and the port. When you get to the taxi stand at the airport, you could ask if anyone in the line is headed to S. Beach and ask to share the cab. We've done it successfully a couple times and saved a few dollars and met some nice people.

Archived