Link to letter when taking someone else's child along on a cruise

smeyer418

question - if the 'child' you are taking with you is already18, do you still need the letter?

Yes, if they are under 21.

What are NCL's Age Requirements?

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing under-age purchase or consumption of alcohol**, preventing under-age gaming activities and preventing violations of any ship's rules. Passengers must be age 21 to purchase or consume alcohol and age 18 to gamble on the ship. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release Form (pdf) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

does any one have a form letter to use for both permission to take the child along and the permission to treat medically?

Thanks!

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

NCL has its own form, and a link was already provided in an earlier post.

I am well aware of that form....

I am well aware the link was provided....

I am only offering an option that WILL WORK in boarding the ship since the OP asked "Does anyone have a form letter" ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for policing the thread though to meet your personal CC guidelines ! :mad:

I am well aware of that form....

I am well aware the link was provided....

I am only offering an option that WILL WORK in boarding the ship since the OP asked "Does anyone have a form letter" ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for policing the thread though to meet your standards ! :mad:

Can you absolutely guarantee that NCL will take the form you provided? Why would anyone need or want to use another form if NCL has its own? I wouldn't chance using it.

The NCL form has indemnification and hold harmless clauses your form does not, for example. On the NCL form the parent/legal guardian agrees to take financial responsibility for the cost medical treatment including emergency evacuation. Your form has nothing of the sort.

As a former travel agency owner, I would have never risked giving a client a generic form when the carrier has its own form.

Can you absolutely guarantee that NCL will take the form you provided? Why would anyone need or want to use another form if NCL has its own? I wouldn't chance using it.

The NCL form has indemnification and hold harmless clauses your form does not, for example. On the NCL form the parent/legal guardian agrees to take financial responsibility for the cost medical treatment including emergency evacuation. Your form has nothing of the sort.

As a former travel agency owner, I would have never risked giving a client a generic form when the carrier has its own form.

I AM an TA owner... I have PERSONNALY used the form and when asked for, it was accepted w/out any problems.

I would not give my clients anything that would not alow them to board the ship. And YES....I have spoken with my NCL rep and they advised that the NCL form IS NOT REQUIRED and that a form such as provided to the OP IS ACCEPTABLE.

nuff said, you can calm down now :rolleyes:

I AM an TA owner... I have PERSONNALY used the form and when asked for, it was accepted w/out any problems.

I would not give my clients anything that would not alow them to board the ship. And YES....I have spoken with my NCL rep and they advised that the NCL form IS NOT REQUIRED and that a form such as provided to the OP IS ACCEPTABLE.

nuff said, you can calm down now :rolleyes:

Yes, the NCL rep told you. Last I checked the NCL rep isn't the cruise line's chief legal counsel and doesn't make company policy. If your NCL rep trained in their world famous customer service department, asking five other NCL reps the same question might get you five different answers.

I'm glad you feel comfortable giving out the form. I wouldn't want to worry that a client might be turned away at the pier.

Yes, the NCL rep told you. Last I checked the NCL rep isn't the cruise line's chief legal counsel and doesn't make company policy. If your NCL rep trained in their world famous customer service department, asking five other NCL reps the same question might get you five different answers.

I'm glad you feel comfortable giving out the form. I wouldn't want to worry that a client might be turned away at the pier.

Hi...

When I read the NCL form I actually thought they were over reaching with an indemnity(which is already in the cruise contract) that goes beyond the indemnity in the cruise contract. Also to require both 2 Witnesses and a notarization is belt and suspenders- what are they looking for a will? It only adds to the list of witnesses.

I will fax a copy of the letter to them as they requested and probably carry the longer form with me just in case(belt and suspenders) but I do appreciate the forms, the link and the commentary.....

Thanks all.

Notice that even the NCL form requires a separate notarized letter for some countries so the form itself isn't enough.

Hi...

When I read the NCL form I actually thought they were over reaching with an indemnity(which is already in the cruise contract) that goes beyond the indemnity in the cruise contract. Also to require both 2 Witnesses and a notarization is belt and suspenders- what are they looking for a will? It only adds to the list of witnesses.

I will fax a copy of the letter to them as they requested and probably carry the longer form with me just in case(belt and suspenders) but I do appreciate the forms, the link and the commentary.....

Thanks all.

Notice that even the NCL form requires a separate notarized letter for some countries so the form itself isn't enough.

Heavy handed, but in thinking about it I realized the parents have not agreed to be bound by the guest ticket contract until they sign it. Here's what one paragraph of NCL's form says:

The undersigned affirm(s) that the undersigned has/have read the terms and conditions stated in the guest ticket contract given to the MINOR and hereby acknowledge(s) and agree(s) for the undersigned and the MINOR to be fully bound thereby.

As the person who booked the cruise, you've agreed to be bound by the guest ticket contract, but the parents haven't, and for that matter the minor child probably hasn't because you can't agree to it on the child's behalf as you're not the parent or legal guardian.

And in thinking about it a bit more, this consent form protects you as much as it does the cruise line by putting the parents "on the hook" .

Heavy handed, but in thinking about it I realized the parents have not agreed to be bound by the guest ticket contract until they sign it. Here's what one paragraph of NCL's form says:

The undersigned affirm(s) that the undersigned has/have read the terms and conditions stated in the guest ticket contract given to the MINOR and hereby acknowledge(s) and agree(s) for the undersigned and the MINOR to be fully bound thereby.

As the person who booked the cruise, you've agreed to be bound by the guest ticket contract, but the parents haven't, and for that matter the minor child probably hasn't because you can't agree to it on the child's behalf as you're not the parent or legal guardian.

And in thinking about it a bit more, this consent form protects you as much as it does the cruise line by putting the parents "on the hook" .

I don't have a problem with that clause its the indemnification that is over broad.

Cunard makes every passenger sign such an acknowledgment of the contract clause. You hand it in when you register for the ship(it comes with the cruise documents).

The parents are always on the hook to the extent that they can be. Most courts including those in Florida don't enforce these parent indemnification clauses anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Using the provided NCL form seems reasonable since if you show it to them they will check for complete signatures but not have to check for the language of what a different form would have written on it. However, my thoughts are also about the entire trip, including pre/post cruise and if medical attention were to be needed off the cruiseship what signatures do you have from parents for that timeframe? Do you need a additional form for the pre/post vacation?

Archived