Who Gets the Refund?

Ships R Great

I expect I will be slammed for this topic but I really would like to know.

If person "A" pays for a cruise for person "B" but will not pay for cruise insurance which is desired by person "B", for medical reasons and person "B" buys the insurance, should the cruise be cancelled for a covered reason who is entitled to the refund? Person "A" or person "B"?

Let the games (or flames) begin---!

PS: who would like to have a try at diagramming that sentance!!!!!

Let me see. Person A is being kind enough to pay for person B's cruise and then wants to dictate how person A should spend his money. Not only that person B seems to want to make money in case the cruise is cancelled. I think person A should find a more grateful recipient and just leave person B at home.:)

If the cruise is cancelled, the refund goes to A. A paid the cruisefare.

B calls the insurance company, notifies them the cruise is cancelled and asks for the policy to be transferred over to a new booking.

B sails solo.. because B had a really lousy friend/relative/cruisemate in person A.

If the cruise is cancelled, the refund goes to A. A paid the cruisefare.

B calls the insurance company, notifies them the cruise is cancelled and asks for the policy to be transferred over to a new booking.

B sails solo.. because B had a really lousy friend/relative/cruisemate in person A.

Babette,

I always agree with you, but in this case it sounds to me like B is the problem. A is treating B to a cruise. Whether A buys cruise insurance or not won't affect B. A is the one who will lose the money. It's fooish for A to not buy the insuance, but he's the one taking the risk. How can A be a lousy person when he offered to pay for B's cruise. It really is A's decision whether to buy insurance or not. It sounds to me as if B is a little manipulative with someone else's money. Everyone should be lucky enough to have a lousy friend who is willing to pay for his cruise.:)

If person B is buying the insurance to cover medical emergencies it seems to be the least he could do since A paid for the cruise.

I expect I will be slammed for this topic but I really would like to know.

If person "A" pays for a cruise for person "B" but will not pay for cruise insurance which is desired by person "B", for medical reasons and person "B" buys the insurance, should the cruise be cancelled for a covered reason who is entitled to the refund? Person "A" or person "B"?

Let the games (or flames) begin---!

PS: who would like to have a try at diagramming that sentance!!!!!

Probably neither would be entitled to file a claim on the insurance.

Traveler A -- Didn't purchase the coverage

Traveler B -- bought coverage but can't prove any financial loss.

One thing that a insured has to prove in order to be reimbursed by insurance is the existance of an actual loss in dollars and cents. The insurer will usually ask for "proof of payment" from the claimant documenting the loss -- cancelled checks or credit card receipts. In this scenario the insured can supply neither so the claim would be denied.

This is also the reason that travel arrangements obtained through the use of frequent flyer miles or other award points cannot be insured for any monetary value. The miles/points have no value.

All of the other benefits of the plan would still apply if the cruise is taken -- trip delay, baggage, emergency evac, etc. Just no trip cancellation/interruption.

Ma:

Sorry, I was reading and trying to make garlic croutons at the same time!

One question is.. when IS the cruise cancelled? And who is cancelling?

A cancels cruise outside of the penalty period for both of them. Money is refunded by the cruiseline. B can either book their own cruise and transfer the policy or is out the cost of the policy.

Inside the penalty period, depends when.. as refunds are on a sliding basis.

Say it's one week prior. No refunds. B cancels for medical reason. A either sails alone or is out the entire cruisefare for two. B is out the cost of the insurance.

Inside penalty period, A cancels, A loses cruisefare. Question: does A cancel B's booking, too? Or is A kicking themselves in the rear for not purchasing insurance. B can sail alone as both fares are paid. B still retains insurance policy in case of medical emergencies, etc.

Say, they are outside of the penalty period. A cancels for a covered reason though has no insurance. B still wants to go. B has insurance. B is now subject to single supplement. Inside penalty period, 50% refund from cruiseline. A has cancelled due to illness, B still wants to go. B still is subject to single supplement.

Travel insurance, don't leave home without it! Try booking in Europe.. many lines and tour operators won't confirm your booking without proof of insurance.

I had a similar situation when one party paid another's tour fare. The one who did make the actual payment, cancelled due to medical. Did not have insurance. The person who remained ,had bought insurance and was now subject to the single supplement, filed a claim. The single supplement was paid to the tour operator.

Let's see...A + B = C or is that A squared + B squared = C squared???? Darn such a heady topic for so soon after Xmas and just before New Years. I am still working on who is coming over on New Year's Eve. :confused: But I will say A gets the refund and gives B the cost of the insurance back. :rolleyes:

But I will say A gets the refund and gives B the cost of the insurance back. :rolleyes:

dont know if i agree with you because a's name doesnt appear on any document-- agree with an earllier poster in that b has to prove he suffered a monetary loss and he cant because he didnt pay for the cruise-----think that a made a mistake by not taking out insur to cover the cost of the cruise for 2

Wow, what a lot of information, and everyone was nice about it. I guess my original question should have been, "If Person "B" has to cancel for a medical reason......". I agree "B" would be an ingrate and morally wrong to keep the money, if it was paid to him. Cruiseco has a point. Maybe nobody would get reimbursed.

and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee! lalalala

Near as i can figure...if person A bought the whole cruise and travels then it makes no difference what person B does. B gets no money for cancelling and loses the insurance money. Person A does not have to pay anything else more..in fact may get a refund on port charges and taxes on person B. IF person A cancels then B benefits and gets a cabin by him/herself. Person A gets nothing because they didn't purchase insurance at all.

Now if person A cant go and person B doesnt want to go alone, they can find another roommate(like me)!

WHEW! so do i get an invite????

*sweet*

dont know if i agree with you because a's name doesnt appear on any document-- agree with an earllier poster in that b has to prove he suffered a monetary loss and he cant because he didnt pay for the cruise-----think that a made a mistake by not taking out insur to cover the cost of the cruise for 2

As long as B has a copy of the receipt with his name and his cruise price on it, he should be able to collect. When I book a cruise for family members, I put those who don't have their own credit cards on my card. They pay me back in cash. When my TA sends the receipt, it has everyone's name on it with the price of their cruise. It does not say who paid what. She sends everyone a copy, so whether or not anyone pays me back, they have a copy of the cruise bill with their name on it. My sister just filed a claim for our last cruise which I paid for on my charge. She did pay me back, but she did not have any proof that she paid for the cruise. All she had was the TA receipt showing her cruise was paid for. That's what she sent in with her claim, and she had no trouble getting her claim settled.

We did exactly this. My father purchased the cruise, I purchased the insurance (not through Celebrity) for myself, husband and 2 children. Keeping our fingers crossed that we don't have to use it!!

I also don't think there would be a problem with the insurance company. If I purchase a life insurance policy on my sister, her estate or I would still get the $$ even though she didn't buy the policy.

Archived