Fuel Supplement Charges

dlalpw

i have read a number of conflicting artices and comments on supplemental fuel charges. Our invoice says we'll get a credit if oil is less than $65/barrel on 9/1 (we are on the nov 18th SYD?AKL cruise. The article on Cruise Critic syas Regent suspended all fuel charges as of 1/1/09. Anybody know the real story? Regent was a little vague when I asked

Actually, what you stated is correct. Regent suspended all fuel charges and will not reinstate them unless the cost per barrel exceed $65 (was not aware of the 9/1 deadline). Regent only adds supplemental fuel charges when it is really necessary. They did not continue them any longer than required. While I am not certain what the cost is at the moment, I do not think it exceeds the limit.

After all the trouble Regent (and others) got in with the Florida Attorney Generals office with the last "fuel surcharge" I would think they would be pretty gun-shy about traveling down that road again.

But then again, what do I know.

J

ALL of the cruiselines have reserved the right to reinstate fuel surcharges (the amount varies from line to line) if the cost of a barrel of crude on NYMEX closes above $XX (the barrel price varies from line to line) at various "trigger dates" once per business quarter (and again, those dates vary from line to line). Carnival Group, being the largest, uses a NYMEX price of $70/barrel triggering a surcharge of $9/person/day but I don't recall what their "trigger dates" are. Having said that, with the volatility of oil prices I suspect (personal opinion) that the price of oil would have to get well above $70/barrel and stay there for a while before any line will add a surcharge. Given the continuing softness of the industry, a surcharge would be a PR nightmare I suspect. IMHO anyway.:D

Archived