La Coruna

Coruña is a fairly industrial city whose main sights are close to the ship and in an easy walking distance. You will dock in the very heart of the old time (only five minutes walking. So suggestions would be going to Maria Pita Square behind the white rows of "galerias" (white local balconies), just walk up to the tiny old town, not really well preserved but still enchanting, and down Riego de Agua, Calle Real. Then you could get the historical tram which go arround the promenade to the Castle and Hercules Lighthouse, and back. Not much more except shopping and eating/drinking the local food, wines and spirits.

All this will take you three hours. So my suggestion is coming also to Santiago de Compostela, at 45 minutes on the train (hourly), buses (hourly) and by car, as one of the finest medieval cities in Europe, and high spot in the touristical destinations of Spain. You have the local tourist information, at the port when you get off, another office in Maria Pita Square, and another next to the "galerias".

I suggest contacting a local company, hiring a car and having both. Santiago and sights of La Coruña. In case you want to come independently, get a cab at the port to the train station (far away from the port) and you will have plenty of trains to come here. Allow a minimum of four hours for Santiago.

• 2 weeks later...

As Keltic has said, the principal reason for stopping in La Coruna is so that people can visit Santiago de Compostela.

It is DEFINITELY worth a visit. Even if you are not particularly religious it has a beautiful old central district in the area immediately around the Cathedral. And it interesting to see the pilgrims arriving on bicycle, on foot or by donkey and cart.

For all those coming here, if you have time, I recommend the parks tour as well. Really delightfull. From the Alameda, you can get the best view of the cathedral, and a "must" for the perfect shot. For people who were here before, just get away off the beaten track, to Carmen de Abaixo district, and Rua Do Medio, Belvis. More local old town parts.

And definitely one of the nicest natural trails, along Rio Sarela, down the Alameda Park. You would need a minimum of one hour, but it´s really local. You would love walking along forests, wind river banks, and a ghost old mill. Almost at the city centre. Get a cab to Carmen de Abaixo church. Once at the church start walking along the little river leaving it on the left. Get into the countryside full of local houses and orchards, along a wooden path by the river. Cross several dying mills and walk as long as you wish in a perfect, quiet scenery where you can only hear the water flowing.

Once in Coruña, get a cab to San Pedro elevator, for a cable car to a park up in a little mountain overlooking the city. Really nice view too. If you have rented a car, get a diversion to Betanzos close to Coruña. A kind of local Gaudi like park "O Pasatempo", and one of the nicest old villages in the whole region. Lots to do over here.

Edited by keltic

Yes, sorry to forget to mention it before, when you asked.

Normally people don´t get away from the old town and aren´t aware of other potencialities of the city. Ship excursions are not really long, so I fully understand many people concentrare on the core of it.

We have seven hills over here, like some other magic cities in the world as Rome and Jerusalem. Getting to any of this viewing points, you have really beautiful views. Monte Pedroso, is the main green area (the hill which is visible from the Obradoiro Square), with hundreds of square feet of local forests and green paths. Up there is sensational.

One could perceive that actually the city lies on Lidredon hill, as the back of a sleeping whale with little houses spreeding down.

Anyway, next time :-)

Well, yes about 100 meters. In Vigo which is a little bit further in the south (88 km Vigo-Santiago vs 67 Coruña Santiago), they have a price list outside the terminal which is pretty usefull. I think in La Coruña, they don´t have any similar list.

However, from Vigo to Santiago and back is about 130 euros, and 17 euros additional for each hour they have to wait. So if there are several people travelling it´s a good fare.

I would calculate roughly a little bit less. Just bargain the price. You could alternatively get the cab to the train station. Train services are pretty efficient and takes only 45 minutes. Opposite the train station you have the coach terminal with also hourly services, a little bit more expensive than the train. Both are a nice options for those on a budget.

Edited by keltic

• 2 years later...

Santiago is one of the most delightful cities in Spain and its very easy to take the train from La Coruna and explore Santiago on your own. We always recommend doing that kind of trip first thing in the morning and coming back to the port a couple of hours early to play it safe. At that point you can also spend some time walking around La Caruna.

Hank

• 1 year later...

My familiy and I recently went to Santiago from La Coruña where our ship docked. We used Italo Péndola, a local Galician tour guide. He was very knowledgeable about the area, fun and very attentive to the ages in the group. We first made a stop at Hercules Tower, which was smart as the rains came on our way back. The view was beautiful. I would encourage anyone to use Italo and especially to visit Santiago if you have the time.

• 2 years later...
My familiy and I recently went to Santiago from La Coruña where our ship docked. We used Italo Péndola, a local Galician tour guide. He was very knowledgeable about the area, fun and very attentive to the ages in the group. We first made a stop at Hercules Tower, which was smart as the rains came on our way back. The view was beautiful. I would encourage anyone to use Italo and especially to visit Santiago if you have the time.

Could you email me details please. moore_k2 at sky.com Sounds a perfect day to me.

Thanks

Nita