10am-8pm docked at Villefranche

spangnash

We will be going on our first cruise ever next month (September). We are are not concerned with seeing as MUCH as possible; rather, we just want to enjoy ourselves wherever we are. Our very first day 'onboard' (after departure), we dock at Villefranche (from 10am-8pm). I'm wondering if we could just plan on going to Monte Carlo/Monaco for awhile, and then head back to explore Villefranche a bit. We have no interest in Nice; I considered Eze and St Paul de Vence, but I don't want us to have to stress about catching traines/buses to catch other buses, etc, at certain times, and we definitely don't want to feel rushed. (Also, having NO cruising experience, I am quite fearful of making sure we are back at the ship on time!) If we plan on just spending the day in Monte Carlo and Villefranche, will we find enough to occupy our day?

We will be going on our first cruise ever next month (September). We are are not concerned with seeing as MUCH as possible; rather, we just want to enjoy ourselves wherever we are. Our very first day 'onboard' (after departure), we dock at Villefranche (from 10am-8pm). I'm wondering if we could just plan on going to Monte Carlo/Monaco for awhile, and then head back to explore Villefranche a bit. We have no interest in Nice; I considered Eze and St Paul de Vence, but I don't want us to have to stress about catching traines/buses to catch other buses, etc, at certain times, and we definitely don't want to feel rushed. (Also, having NO cruising experience, I am quite fearful of making sure we are back at the ship on time!) If we plan on just spending the day in Monte Carlo and Villefranche, will we find enough to occupy our day?

Short answser is YES.It is your cruise and you can do as you want and there is enough to see and do just wandering around between the 3 area's.As long as you know where you go to get back on the ship and at what time you can gauge your time and be back with no worries..go forth and have a great time.:D

Don't want to stress you, but I would prefer getting up to Eze and looking out at the world. Have lunch and then wind back down the mountain to Villefranche and the ship.

Monte Carlo/Monaco is sooooo rich even the homeless would wear designer couture, if there were any homeless. It is worth a quick peek I suppose if only to see for yourself how the other "half" live.

You certainly are free to do want you want, but I agree with the previous poster that a look at one of the hill towns is of much more interest than seeing a bunch of yachts in the harbor of Monaco and a bunch of fancy stores, at least to me. That being said, I understand that Villefranche itself is lovely and it indeed is easier transportation-wise to stick to the coastal routes. But 10 hours is a lot of time, and these places are pretty close together.

(We were docked at Monaco in June, but spent 10 minutes driving around the Grand Prix route before heading for Nice, the lovely Chagall Museum there, and then St. Paul de Vence and other lovely places. At the end of the day, we spend another 30 minutes in the area around the Cathedral and Palace, but only because someone with us wanted to stop there.)

The main thing is to do what is best for you, no matter what others say; it's your vacation!:)

Archived