US Air March Flight

palmtre2

We have a flight to FLL from PHL two days before our cruise(at least I was smart about that) and it's looking like this flight might not happen. I'm not the type to bury my head in the sand, so I was thinking of booking a refundable fare with Southwest, just in case. Has anyone dealt with Southwest for refunds???? I would hate to have to argue with them over what is a significant amount of money - DH is ready to kill me as is is!!!!

My personal opinion, whatever it is worth, is that the fiasco over Christmas week-end has doomed US Air. If at all possible, I would cancel my US Air flights and book another carrier. You may have to argue with your credit card company so you don't get hit with the cancellation fee, but I think it may be worth it.

To answer your original question, Southwest is very easy to get refunds from. No problems, if you book a fully refundable ticket. Below is direct off the Southwest website.

If your reservation is refundable1, you may request a refund in the following ways:

For refundable Ticketless flight reservations only:

If your outbound flight has not departed, you may submit a refund request:

online at southwest.com. To begin this process, you will first need to Cancel your Flight Reservation

by calling our Reservations Department at 1-800-435-9792

by calling Customer Relations at the telephone number below

by writing to our Refunds Department at the address below

If your outbound flight has departed, you may submit a refund request:

by calling our Reservations Department at 1-800-435-9792

If you previously cancelled your reservation online at southwest.com and did not request a refund at that time, you may submit a request:

by calling our Reservation Department at 1-800-435-9792

For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions on nonrefundable travel and refund consideration on all "paper" tickets, you may:

write to our Refunds Department at the address below

Notes:

1Not all reservations are refundable. Depending on the type of fare you purchased, you may not be eligible for a refund.

All refund requests submitted in writing to the Refunds Department should include your unused ticket or, if your reservation was confirmed as Ticketless Travel, proof of purchase and/or the confirmation number is required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Refund Information:

Unused, fully refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.

All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.

Refunds for tickets purchased with credit cards will be credited to the same credit card.

Our Refunds Department will process an eligible refund to the original credit/debit card within seven business days from the date we receive your request.

Your card-issuing bank may then take up to ten business days to post the credit to your account. Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund on your statement within one to two statement mailings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I concur, I''d be surprised if US Air is still flying in March. Right now their condition is just too uncertain. Coming from PHL, I'd recommend Southwest or even driving over to Atlantic City to catch Spirit Airlines.

jeff

I agree on seeking alternatives. Keep in mind that the problem with carriers having financial problems today is not lack of passengers in seats. The problem is US Air is not making sufficient profit from selling those seats. US Air, like most carriers, is flying mostly full these days. So if they go under, the system will lack excess capacity to make up for the loss of those booked seats. It won't matter if you have insurance. It won't matter if the government steps in and orders other carriers to honor US Air tickets. The system will not have sufficient excess capacity to absorb US Air going under. Without an alternate method of travel already booked, it will very hard to reach your destination in time to make the departure of a cruise. Even if you are flying in a day early. Flights are just too full these days.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

palmtre2:

Here is a response to your question from someone who is sitting at home right now in front of her computer instead of being in her cabin on the Jewel of the Seas somewhere between Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Run, do not walk, to another airline as fast as you can. Money be damned. If you want to get to your cruise, book on Southwest or, as Jeffe suggests, Spirit Airlines out of Atlantic City. (really really close to you and CHEAP parking)

Carol

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you didn't make it. My heart sunk when I was reading your post. Was it all the cancelations from the Christmas mess in Philly??? Were you flying US Air???? I actually did book refundable tickets with Southwest, hoping I don't have to use them - they were very expensive and the whole purpose of booking the flights myself was to SAVE money.

palmtre2:

Here is a response to your question from someone who is sitting at home right now in front of her computer instead of being in her cabin on the Jewel of the Seas somewhere between Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Run, do not walk, to another airline as fast as you can. Money be damned. If you want to get to your cruise, book on Southwest or, as Jeffe suggests, Spirit Airlines out of Atlantic City. (really really close to you and CHEAP parking)

Carol

Carol,

My heart broke reading your link to the roll call thread. I am truly sorry you missed your cruise.

Jeffe

Archived