looking to buy an inexpensive snorkel set

MamaParrotHead

Your mask fit is the most important thing. Since everyones face is different, it's best to go to a dive shop and try on several different masks to get one that fits properly. The staff there are usually very helpful. Snorkels are no big deal, the staff can help you there as well. You can get a cheap-o at like K-Mart but when it starts leaking and your mask fills with water you will have a miserable time.

• 2 weeks later...

From the advice of someone else on this board I purchased snorkle sets (mask and snorkle) from snorklemart.com. We don't have a lot of dive shops to choose from here in Pennsylvania. The sets were @ $29 each and came with a sturdy little bag for the goggles and a small bottle of anti-fog. I had e-mailed them before purchasing because I didn't know if my youngest child who has a small head should get the youth or adult size. They offered (and did) to send both sets along with a postage paid return address label so I could return the one that didn't fit. I figured I could rent the vests and flippers on-site since they are bulky (fins) and expensive (vest).

There is snorkel equipment for every price range available on eBay. Many dive shops also have on-line stores on eBay. Furtermore one can get some really good prices right now because it is the off season for many dive shops. Although this varies from state to state many retailers have to pay a tax on the dollar value of their inventory as of sometime in January. Consequently a lot of dive shops are trying to rid themselves of excess inventory at this particular time of the year.

The advice on a properly fitting mask is correct. However if you buy from a reputable vendor with a reasonable exchange policy it is possible to return a mask for one of a different size. Snorkel Woman (a.k.a The War Department, a.k.a Mrs. B.) has a very small head yet I was able to get her a very good mask which fit perfectly at a bargain basement price. After doing some research I located the model of mask I was interested in on eBay and then called the dive shop which was auctioning that particular mask. They were very helpful and this transaction went perfectly smoothly. This mask went for less than half of what they are charging in their bricks and mortar store.

If you aren't knowledgable about snorkel equipment or about eBay I would be happy to provide advice. My email is pilot70d@yahoo.com . Let me know if i can help. In the meantime everyone have a great day.

Archived