Views of the Sunset

JMS920

Many months ago, I read some posts about a hotel bar or restaurant where one could watch the sunset. I've reviewed many posts and can't seem to find this again. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

JoAnn

One place is the Hilton Key West Resort and Marina. Visit the Sunset Deck located on the roof-top where you can get a birds eye view of the sunset and listen to live Caribbean music.

When we stayed at KW in May, on our first night, we went to Mallory Square and had dinner at the Bistro right on the pier...and the great view of the sunset from our table.

As you walk onto Mallory Square from the Duval side, there is a big open area usually occupied by the vendors and entertainers. Drift to the left (heading south, facing the water), and go over a small bridge, and you will be at the southern part of Mallory Square (more vendors and entertainers)...on your left are two or three bars/hotels with restaurants...thats where we ate and saw the sunset...pick where you want to eat based on the menus posted...I wanted a steak and Pebbles wanted Mahi-Mahi, so we ate at the Bistro. It was a litlle pricey, but the view (and entertainment) was well worth it...

It was a Wednesday night, we got there around 6 and didn't have to wait for a table...

PS, the previous poster gave an excellent tip for a high-up view of the sunset, and a great photo-op too...

PPSS: Hudson River Valley, huh.. I'm a Glens Falls native... Brother lives in Saratoga...

Have fun...

Thanks for the suggestions, I did read your review, BamBam. Sounds like you and Pebbles had a great trip. My Hubby and I were in Key West for 12 days last Feb. and plan to go back again Feb. of 2005. We have a motorhome we travel with, so stay in Boyd's on Stock Island. We had a great time. We spent a lot of time at the Schooner Wharf. Found coupons online buy one get one free drinks!.....We had dinner one night at Two Friends.....it was an awesome meal with great service. Naturally we hit all the famous bars too. So we could say we were there :) We did the sunset cruise on the Western Union. That was Great! We'll check out the Hilton and the Bistro this time for sure! Thanks again...

I'm in the lower Hudson Valley, about 70 miles north of NYC in the Poughkeepsie area. I'm leaving for KW in 44 days and can't wait to get out of the cold! I was on a cruise 12/5 to 12/12......so I guess I'm never satisfied! LOL

JoAnn

While the Bistro is probably a good place from whiich to see sunset, the place that I think was mentioned in the earlier post was Hot Tin Roof. It is located at Ocean Key House...just next to Mallory Square...on the opposite side of the square from the Hilton. If you are going to be here this winter, you could also try places on the south side of the island since in the winter the sun sets further to the left<G> Places to consider are Louie's BackYard and if only for drinks in a fun enviornment, the Atlantic Shores Resort.

Clay - a key west local

Butterfly Conservatory is a great place to leave the crowds and noise....a walk through old town looking at the wonderufl old houses....lunch at El Siboney....an art film at Tropic Cinema...and so much more. If you hurry and email me at Jclayton@heery.com, I will be glad to send you my pre-prepared list of suggestions...but hurry - I leave on MY cruise! (yeehaw) on Saturday from Miami!!!

Clay

One of the best places to see the sunset is from the rooftop of the La Concha Hotel on Duval Street. This is the tallest building in Key West and they have a bar up on the roof with an observation deck. From their, you can see that harbor, sunset, and the water around the whole island. It's one of the only places that I really get a sense of the island and the sea surrounding it. You'll see the ships sailing their sunset cruises, and the other visitors are usually really nice and celebratory.

There is a $5 cover charge (a shame) but they do give you a drink with that. The view of the sunset from up there is amazing and there isn't the huge crowd to content with.

Happy New Year!

Now that's one I haven't heard...We will definately try the "roof top" Where do we find the Concha Hotel on Duval is is near Mallory Sq? I can understand their cover charge.....and if it includes a drink.....no big deal! I'm counting the days! Happy New Year to all!

JoAnn

Archived