What are "Transfers"?

Want2BCruiseN

There appears to be a new charge added to all cruise fares on the Princess website. It is called Transfers and appears below the Cruise Fare and above the Taxes and Fees. This charge can add a considerable cost to cruises. Does anyone know way this fee has been added?

Transfers are the cost to get you from or to the airport from the ship - pre and/or post cruise. They vary $$$ depending on distance.

You don't have to use Princess transfers - some ports are very easy to get to and cheaper if you do them on your own. You don't mention any certain port so can't help you figure it out there.

I think that we are talking about to different things. Look at the Princess website. This "transfers" is added to all cruise fares. This does not appear to be the "optional" item that you can choose to add. This is added to the cost of all fares on their website as of today. Princess has no way of knowing if I'm going to fly or drive to the port. But this item called "tranfers" is attached to all fares. So again I'll ask, can anyone shed some light on this?

I just checked that for our upcoming cruise. The TRANSFER fee that is now showing up for our particular sailing (you're correct, I had never seen this before this morning either) is exactly the price we are being charged for our transfer from airport to pier and pier to airport for our upcoming cruise. So, indeed it is the Princess transfer price.

My guess? Many ports have different transfer fees, so they have now listed them in the price of the cruise. But I would also guess that if you have arranged private transfers or plan to drive to the port, that when booking, you will be able to delete these from your cruise. (If booking direct through the Princess website, I would probably call to make sure this is possible, just to double check).

Many were shocked when finding out what some transfer costs were for certain ports, and I would think this is Princess way of adding them so the passenger knows ahead of time. I would also think it would be easier to list them in the excursion section then automatically making passengers think they HAD to book these by adding them to the price of the cruise. ;)

I just went into the Princess site and went through the process of booking a cruise and also noticed the fee for transfers already added to the cost of the cruise. When you come to the part that asks if you want Princess arranged flights and/or transfers: where you are able to add or deny transfers just click on the no transfers and the previous charges for transfers will dissappear.

From the Princess Site, directly below the Pricing and Passenger Information when booking the cruise:

"Air transportation, Transfers and Vacation Protection Plans are optional and can be edited or deleted during the booking process."

I think it's wrong of Princess to add this new fee without asking if you need it. I suspect they hope people won't understand it and pay it blindly thus adding to their bottom line. They also do this with their trip insurance and you have to opt out. I think it's better for people to have to opt in and thus prevent confusion and paying for services you didn't realize and didn't need.

O.K. I just went to the princess site and also saw the new Transfer line but as someone said above right below where the Transfer line is it is optional. So when I talk to my TA I will tell them no transfer. Hopefully TA's out there will asked their customers if they want transfers. This part is a tad confusing as when I go in to shop around for a cruise I have to remember to take off that transfer amt.

Marilyn

Archived