Should we change dates?

Amonth or so I posted asking for advice on our curise next year because there was going to be a large group on board holding a "doo wop" cruise.

http://doowopcruise.com/groups.html and most people said we sould be fine. Now I just found out there is also a World Poker Showdown.

http://www.worldpokershowdown.com/caribbean_poker_cruise/tournament_schedule

We are afraid all these events will cause areas of the ship to be reserved for the groups only. Do you think having both these groups on board will affect our cruise experience or am I worrying over nothing.

Being as our dates are flexable should be think about changing dates or do you experienced cruises think it will still be ok? I finally managed to get a corner aft and now I am having doubts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure about the DooWop group. It doesn't list a time for when they have activities but I would assume they could be only be in 1 of a few places. Perhaps the night club, the crown lounge, or Pharaoh's Palace. Based on what they are I'm guessing that they would take place at night while you are at dinner, the show, or evening shows (Quest, etc.).

The poker group lists what time their activities take place. They will probably use either the Pharaoh's Palace or the crown lounge. They may use the MDR for afternoon games. Either way based on their times (1PM and 8PM) if you use the pool in the day and go to your theater shows at night you will have extra room as they will all be busy.

If you are typically out and about during the day and following the normal cruise routine at night the Poker group may be a plus. As for the DooWop group I'm not sure as they don't give much information. Overall it really depends on if you expect to be using the venues that they are likely to occupy. If you don't then I can't see either of these groups being uncomfortable to be around, so enjoy the extra space while they are all busy.

Amonth or so I posted asking for advice on our curise next year because there was going to be a large group on board holding a "doo wop" cruise.

http://doowopcruise.com/groups.html and most people said we sould be fine. Now I just found out there is also a World Poker Showdown.

We are afraid all these events will cause areas of the ship to be reserved for the groups only. Do you think having both these groups on board will affect our cruise experience or am I worrying over nothing.

Being as our dates are flexable should be think about changing dates or do you experienced cruises think it will still be ok? I finally managed to get a corner aft and now I am having doubts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would.

How did you find out about the group? I'd like to check this out for our 10/18/09 cruise on AOS.

If you can't get another aft cabin (other than deck 6), I'm not sure that I would change. I don't think any venues that you want to use will be tied up. You may see members of the groups around the ship. We have sailed when there has been groups onboard before. They have never had an impact on our cruise. I would be concerned if it was a controversial (racy/provocative) group.

If you can't get another aft cabin (other than deck 6), I'm not sure that I would change. I don't think any venues that you want to use will be tied up. You may see members of the groups around the ship. We have sailed when there has been groups onboard before. They have never had an impact on our cruise. I would be concerned if it was a controversial (racy/provocative) group.

The groups that will be on board don't bother us. (actually we like doo wop). We are more concerned with the groups taking over the shop. Checking available cabins for this cruise there are no suites (jr and above) available). On the plus side we were thinking that with these groups there may be less children. This is also the first cruise after Freedom comes out of dry dock so we thought we could probably get on the ship really early as there will be no passengers getting off. Think I will look at other cruises around that time and see if a corner aft is available but I doubt it as we booked this one in Feb. Thanks everyone for your replys

I suspect a lot of us are on cruises that have groups on board that we don't even know about. I've been on two cruises that had large groups and if I hadn't know about it before sailing I'd have had no signs of them on board. If you have a cabin, a time and an itinerary you like, don't fret. You'll be fine.

I suspect a lot of us are on cruises that have groups on board that we don't even know about. I've been on two cruises that had large groups and if I hadn't know about it before sailing I'd have had no signs of them on board. If you have a cabin, a time and an itinerary you like, don't fret. You'll be fine.

I think you are right.

These two groups don't sound like the type who'd go about the ship causing disturbances. They also don't sound like large groups. If you're pleased with your cabin, I'd stick to what you have.

I did change to my "back up week" once because I found out the Hogs on the High Seas were going to be on our cruise. I don't have anything against them, but I checked out their webpage and found that they'd "hogged" all the balcony cabins and were selling them only to their members . . . and if a group "buys up" a large number of cabins, you're very unlikely to see a price drop on that sailing.

We've got a Star Trek group on board Mariner with us in October... We're thinking it should allow for some great people watching opportunities on the Promenade the nights they have their events. :D

You've got to post pictures of that when you get back, lol!

We've got a Star Trek group on board Mariner with us in October... We're thinking it should allow for some great people watching opportunities on the Promenade the nights they have their events. :D

Yeah, until they break out those phasers, then watch out!! :D

We are traveling the same date as some rock and roll show and once we travelled when there was some Elvis impersonator follower group. The Elvis follower group had less than 150 participants ( on a Radiance class ship) so you really did not notice they were there. The impersonator did take part in the first evening show. I recall the group had an event in part of the Schooner Bar and all other events were held in an unused lounge or room.

We are hoping that the Rock and Roll group will not be too large, but since we are on the Freedom, if would have to be a very large group to make any difference. We like old rock and roll so if the groups are any part of the regular entertainment, we’ll be fine with that.

We were on the Radiance with over 200 from Met Life with no issues. Unless you see signage or hospitality table, you never realize some groups are on board.

M

I am always concerned with the passengers the group brings with them, not the group individually. My concern is while the poker tourney is going on, the others with them might have some of the venues reserved for them.

Tim

That is what my concern is. I don't have a problem with the groups, I'm just concerned they will have areas closed off for the groups only or that the groups will take over public areas.

Archived