Red Velvet Cupcakes

I wasnt a fan of the red velvet ones. I liked the rockyroad ones and there was another kind too i liked it had green frosting

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure the OP hasn't sailed yet and is looking forward to this treat. Hey OP, you still out there???

My TA ordered these for us a few years ago when I had a birthday while on a cruise. FYI, they are not made on the ship but brought in from an outside company. The reason I know this is because I got a call in the cabin and they said the cupcakes hadn't arrived at the ship by sail time and would I like something else. Then a few days later while we were in Cabo San Lucas we got back to the cabin and there they were. I had visions of them being flown down to Cabo, occupying a seat on the plane (seat belt fastened, of course).

They were not the tiny ones but the standard (by home baking measurements) cupcake size. And they were yummy. And I'm not a cake person (except for carrot cake and RV, maybe because these tend to be more moist).

"Red Velvet" actually has a Pennsylvania Dutch origin. It is traditionally made with cream cheese & sour cream in a vanilla cake mix. Originally Sasparilla or birch beer was used to color and flavor the mix as well. The icing is a cream cheesish very rich white topping. They are absolutely awesome and can still be had at a few local amish stores around central PA. Somehow though I don't think RCCL's chefs will make them the old amish way ;). Either way if you have never tried one you owe it to yourself to try them just once.

Now I might like to try something with this type of recipe. The more common red velvet cake that is little more than an "almost chocolate" cake with a ton of red food coloring I have tried and don't care for in the least. I have had a hard time finding any distinguishable flavor in it at all. Give me devil's food with white butter cream frosting any day.

I should add -- but they are pretty [but I have never been able to taste "pretty"]

All that food on the ship and they want you to PAY for cupcakes???? Sorry, just don't get it.

I almost always get something from the sailaway gifts and gear section. the great thing about this is that the stuff is in your cabin when you arrive! It's just a little something extra to make that cruise beginning a little more exciting.

In the past, we've ordered (some of these were from other cruise lines) and my rating of them:

Room decorations (BonVoyage package) - 7/10 - expensive for what you get, but it was pretty cool.

Sail away Cake (Says Bon Voyage on it) - 10/10. We love this option. It's not very expensive, and all 4 of us just all grab forks and dig into it. It's a small cake, and there are some leftovers for later in the evening. Yeah, it's messy, and a litle "low brow", but it's turned into a tradition for us.

Fruit Basket - 3/10. This one was a diasappointment. The fruit was not fresh. We only ate a few things, and threw the rest away.

Candy Tray (Carnival). 9/10. This one was offered 5-6 years ago, not sure if it's still offered. It's a small 4-compartment tray with some treats in it - skittles, chocolate covered almonds, or something.. cannot rememeber all of it. It was expensive for what you get, but it was nice to have a few sweets after dinner, but before bedtime.

Flowers (9/10). Romantic. I got these for our anniversary cruise. Scored some points with DW. :D Fairly expensive, but some consider it bad form to go cheap on the flowers. :cool:

Archived