Taipei, taiwan tour guides

hammsbear

Looking for names of tour guides that give private tours for two. Would like to see more of how the people live and their culture than museums and skyscrapers. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Going on the Princess Diamond from Bangkok to Beijing this October. Thanks, Scott

Looking for names of tour guides that give private tours for two. Would like to see more of how the people live and their culture than museums and skyscrapers. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Going on the Princess Diamond from Bangkok to Beijing this October. Thanks, Scott

How long are you in Taiwan? You visiting Taipei or have more time on the Island?

As to culture you also need to think what you are asking as you want to learn about the native people, or the KMTs? Or are you after the sights and sounds of the country?

Just there for the day off the Princess Diamond. As to what to see, I do not want to visit museums or monuments or such. Maybe want to get out in the backroads to see the peoples villages and such and there way of life. Thanks, Scott

With just a day I'm not sure if I'd suggest the country side. I just got back from a week around the northen half of the Island and 4 days in Taipei. I'd suggest a day crusing on public transportation. I've found on business trips that more then anything else gives you a flavor of the town/people, but that is me :D I know from the main train station you can take the high speed train south to the country side but I have no tips there.

If you do the the metro systems do stop at the main train station. They have multiple levels of shops/eating there. Its a sight to see as we don't have a metropolis like that anywhere in the west. You can get a flavor of how the urban Taiwan person gets around and shops. Buy an all day pass and lets you use the bus and metro and you can get on and get off at your will. We found that to really give a flavor of the city and culture.

We took a took train out to Danshui which is about 40' ride. They have a port like area with markets, etc. that gives a flavor of what people might do, ala cooney island is my best analogy for a weekend.

If you are there at night hit the night market also on the Danshui line. I can dig up the stop if you need it. A sight to behold packed with local people out shopping, having fun and all sorts of eats ( picture attached). We ventured here several times for eats and shopping. There is also the famous/infamous Snake Alley, but its pretty touristy there with the expected snake / turtle resturants.

Good luck

182244694_0900FridayNightTaipeiNightMarket.jpg.b405a0442130ecdd430b832b515b9d28.jpg

Archived