To rent a car or not?

morristk

Sorry this may be off-topic. I am not cruising but need New Orleans helpsmile.gif

We will be in NO for 5 days for NYE and Sugar Bowl. Our hotel is in Chalmette which apparently is about 10 mi from both.

Should we rent a car or should we just take a taxi to the places we need to go? We'll be spending most of our time doing all the touristy stuff, FQ, Garden District and of course Superdomesmile.gif

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Is it possible for you to change hotels? Not that Chalmations aren't nice, just a ways out.

Does your hotel have a shuttle?

How much alcohol will be involved? You may not be cruising, but if you are floating, I wouldn't suggest driving.

How good are you at driving in strange places?

I would be tempted to rent a car and park somewhere close to where I was going. But I mostly know my way around. Your mileage may vary.

I would really be tempted to do some sort of financial analysis on the cost/benefit aspect of staying closer to where I think I would be spending most of my time vs cab/rental costs.

All really good points, I think I may have to reconsider. I'm sure I can probably find something closer and can pay more per night if I don't have to rent a car.

Let's see...New Year's on Bourbon St....yea we won't be driving:)

I too suggest another hotel, in the French Quarter. IF that is the area of your activies, not only is a car rental for this touring a bad idea, you will be VERY hard pressed for parking, cabs will eat up a lot of cash and the time in transit will be significant for only 5 days there. Location is very important in New Orleans. Consider http://www.lowestfare.com I used them in December for a $200 difference in cost for the same hotel. :)

Archived