Overnight train, Shanghai to Xian return

Mimg Pao

Any advice on the above. We plan to take the overnight train to Xian using soft sleeper class and spend two nights in Xian and then an overnight train back to Shanghai prior to boarding the Ocean Princess Dec. 18.

If anybody has info about the best and least expensive way to purchase train tickets, the info would be most appreciated. We want to purchase the train tickets in advance and before leaving Canada. My dh speaks Mandarin.

Have you looked into flying? Flights are quite cheap and of course much quicker. From what we saw of the trains definitely go first class. Xian is not to be missed....apart from the Warriors it's also a lovely city.

We first visited China in 1989 and in fact were on one of the last flights out of Beijing back to Hong Kong, an experience we will never forget. On that trip, we took several internal flights, an experience I do not want to repeat. Since then, we have been to China three more times but visiting specific areas where we did not have to fly internally.

We first visited China in 1989 and in fact were on one of the last flights out of Beijing back to Hong Kong, an experience we will never forget. On that trip, we took several internal flights, an experience I do not want to repeat. Since then, we have been to China three more times but visiting specific areas where we did not have to fly internally.

Sorry to hear about your "experiences" in the past. China as you already know is radically different country then in the late 80's and early 90's. We flew Beijing-Xian-Guilin-Shanghai-Beijing. We didn't find the air travel any more inconvenient or exciting then the US/Europe. The idea of a half circle as a boarding line was interesting, but beyond that no different then anywhere else.

I second the thought to consider by plane.

Xian is something else, worth the visit either by train or air.

Archived