Heading to Alaska on our own.......NEED HELP

luvtwotrvl

We (DW and I) might be heading back to Alaska in 2010. We are in the process of planning our trip to Alaska but this time NOT a cruise but just fly into Anchorage and just do the land package on our own. So far, I am not sure if our wallets will agree but will try and see.

We really do not want to rent a RV and drive around Alaska. I rather have a car but then we are going to have to buy food all the time which is going to be expensive. Really, we can buy a cheap cooler and have sandwiches for lunch even with a car.

As you can see from my signature, we have been cruising to Alaska four times but really want to see more of the interior of Alaska this time but not really sure about the high cost!!!

Is there any info that I need that might help us???

I am would imagine the hotels in Alaska are very expensive but have not yet checked that out yet.

By the way, we will only be able to go to Alaska in June or July due to our work schedules which I know are peak season but really can not help that.

Are there any coupons or anything that would help us on the hotel???

Any suggests or info, I would appreciate very much!!!

David

Can't answer your questions because we haven't been to Alaska yet but I see you have been on both Princess and Holland America, you just got off Ryndam to Alaska. Can you tell me which one you liked better. Any major differences? Did you do a Pre or post land tour on each, if so which was better?

We just booked the Ryndam for May of 2010, wondering if we made a mistake and should book through a different line.

Thanks

Jimbo:)

We (DW and I) might be heading back to Alaska in 2010. We are in the process of planning our trip to Alaska but this time NOT a cruise but just fly into Anchorage and just do the land package on our own. So far, I am not sure if our wallets will agree but will try and see.

We really do not want to rent a RV and drive around Alaska. I rather have a car but then we are going to have to buy food all the time which is going to be expensive. Really, we can buy a cheap cooler and have sandwiches for lunch even with a car.

As you can see from my signature, we have been cruising to Alaska four times but really want to see more of the interior of Alaska this time but not really sure about the high cost!!!

I am would imagine the hotels in Alaska are very expensive but have not yet checked that out yet.

By the way, we will only be able to go to Alaska in June or July due to our work schedules which I know are peak season but really can not help that.

David

I recommend for lodging looking into bed & breakfasts..Also confirm if you do decide to go this way that you are getting a full breakfast in lieu of the continental one..I will be back in Alaska for the third time this September and everything is B&B except for 1 night..

I would imagine the hotels in Alaska are very expensive but have not yet checked that out yet.

David

First off, I would book your car rental as far in advance as possible. We rented an SUV through Budget in Anchorage last August and paid $686.00 for five days. When I checked their rates a few weeks prior to us leaving for Alaska, it was $1300.00. That's quite a few hotel nights!

As to hotels...for the first time ever, we stayed in B & B's. WE stayed at the Moose Garden B & B in Anchorage. It is run by a gentleman named Garnett. He's a great guy...made absolutely amazing breakfasts every morning...you just tell him what time you want to eat. He loves to talk about Alaska...especially BEARS!:eek: He gave us some great suggestions on where to go and how to get there. Only thing we didn't do was drive to Flattop Mountain. It was always fogged in. (Next time!!)

Up at Denali National Park, we stayed up the road 10 minutes at the Denali Lakeview Inn. Great place. They leave your breakfast in the fridge...fruit, cereal, coffee, hot chocolate, bread for toasting. They will also do up lunches for you to take into the park for a small fee.

We loved both places and they were much cheaper than regular hotels. While the Denali Lakeview Inn is more hotelish...the Moose Garden is in Garnett's home. You have to be comfortable with that. We'd never stayed in a B & B before and didn't know what to expect but it was great. WE could come and go as we wanted, the room was huge and we really enjoyed that it was just on the outskirts of town. No problem if you have a car.

I'd get a copy of the Milepost also. Has great maps and extensive information as to where to stop, etc.

I'm sure lots of others will chime in. Good luck planning.

David,

We just got back from a 10 day land tour we did on our own. I would recommend staying at B&B’s. We were very careful with our choices and couldn’t have been happier. ( I’m really, really a freak about it being clean) At each place we had our own private bath. Most B&B’s gave us a wonderful full hot breakfast which was a great start to the day. We paid between $130-$160/night for the B&B's and in Anchorage we paid $230/night for the Hampton Inn. We ate at the restaurant’s the locals recommended. I can tell you to budget at least 9-10$ for a sandwich or hamburger almost everywhere. Here are my recommendations for each place.

Anchorage - (you have to have a car) I would recommend the Moose Den B&B. Modern accommodations with large LCD TV’s. http://www.mooseden.com/ We shopped at Walmart and bought all kinds of snacks and sodas before we set out to Denali. We ate at the Moose Tooth (exceptional halibut pizza) and Sea Galley Restaurant (great chowder)

Talkeetna - Grace and Bills Freedom Hills – https://www.gbfreedomhillsbb.com/Home_Page.php we spent the night here so we could take our flightseeing trip around Mt McKinley. Wonderful friendly host. Exceptional hot breakfast. We stayed in Room 1. We ate at Wild Flower Café and Café Michelle both were pricey but really good food. There is a new grocery store right on the main highway.

Denali/Healy – Denali Lakeview Inn- http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/index.htm Beautiful view from deck of lake. Quiet. We never saw any of the staff which was weird. They only serve a continental breakfast (plenty of food, fruit, coffee and beverages in room with fridge) this place really doesn’t encourage mingling with the other guest which is a shame. We stayed in the Purple Caribou which was an end room with a TV and very nice. I would avoid the Blue Moose room because it gets direct sun all day and is really hot. (Our friends stayed in this room) We bought Subway before we went to Wonder Lake to take on the bus. Subway opens at 6am. We ate at Rose’s and at one of the resort restaurants.

Wasilla – Pioneer Ridge B&B - http://www.pioneerridge.com/ this is a beautiful place. I wish we had planned more time here. We stayed in the Iditarod Room which has authentic sleds and other memorabilia from the race. Our friends stayed in the Alaska Heritage suite which is very large and has a washer and dryer in the unit. (We all used it!) The views of the Matanuska Valley are unbelievable! We hiked Hatcher Pass which was beautiful. We ate at Piccolino’s a Greek and Italian place which was really good.

Seward – Bell in the Woods - http://www.bellinthewoods.net/bedandbreakfast.htm Lovely host and fabulous breakfast. We stayed in the Raspberry Room which is large, with a big private bath. (The best room they offer!) I would also recommend the Cranberry Room. The other rooms are nice but a little smaller. They offer internet access for the guest which as really nice. We were there 4 nights. We ate at the Exit Glacier Salmon Bake( good but busy), Apollo Restaurant, Bakery at the Harbor (good), Smoke Shack (surprising good pulled pork), Rays (very good, pricey) and Alaska Nellie’s Restaurant (good sandwiches and soups)

I would also recommend you book really early. Also be careful with the cancellation policies and deposits with the B&B's so you know what you will be charged if you change your plans.

Hope this helps!

We did a 10day independent land tour in Alaska in June, 2007 and loved it.

We mostly stayed on the Kenai Peninsula.

It was also our first time staying in B & B's. Really enjoyed it. Everyone handles them a little differently so do check to see what they provide. They are generally overall cheaper than a hotel and much cozier.

We are going to Alaska again in 2 weeks. We are cruising northbound but then 5 nights on land afterwards and again are staying in B & B's. Check

www.tripadvisor.com as they have them rated and provide reviews which helped me in making choices.

Also, take the recommendations of those on this board like the previous poster. Always nice to hear from someone who has stayed there.

There were 4 of us travelling in June 2007 and a mini-van worked perfectly. Everyone was comfortable and plenty of room for luggage and our styrofoam ice chest we bought at Fred Meyer's in Anchorage for snacks and drinks.

We really liked doing our own thing. Hope you do a Kenai fjords tour. Really good!

Point of fact: you aren't allowed to drive a rental car up Flat Top. I've done it with an old Subaru 4WD and didn't do the car any good. The road is primitive at best. If you are not used to driving on such roads you can get yourself in a fix and your car will need a fix!

We just returned from our first trip to Alaska and did a short 4 day pre-cruise independent land tour.

I purchased the TourSaver and Northern Lights coupon books. We did get a rental car. I would have loved more time and would have done a RV tour. It would have been perfect for Alaska.

I booked the Denali Bluffs right outside Denali's entrance. 2-for-1 nights with the coupon books. (Also used it for our helicopter glacier landing the next day.) We used Hilton points for the Hilton in Anchorage. Both hotels were great and in great locations. No complaints. We also picked up Subway sandwiches in Anchorage on our way to Denali to take into the park with us the next day. (Picked them up in Anchorage and not Denali as there were coupons in the Northern Lights book for Subway, but not at Denali.)

We loved having the independence of our own vehicle and traveling at our own pace (other then having to be somewhere for excursions). We are not big B&B fans (just a personal preference) so we did the hotels. Again, would have loved to have had the time to do an RV. Oh, and there are coupons for RV and car rentals in the Northern Lights coupon book as well.

As for other food, yes, it would be extremely easy to buy a cheap cooler and load up on food. Wal-Mart is handy in Anchorage and Wasilla (we went to that one for some items my DH forgot to pack) and I hear there is a Costco as well. (We don't belong so didn't bother looking into that.) Food is expensive but not as expensive as other places we have traveled to. (And are orginallyi from Hawai'i where it is just as expensive, if not more so for certain items.) So we did not blink at some of the meal costs. It was just part of the trip and Alaskan experience.

Definitely book early if you want to do a car. Prices go up quickly. But I read previously on CC that if you book about a year in advance you can save $$$. If prices go down for some reason you can always rebook but at least you would have something reserved and probably the best deal.

Also, look into the cost of renting from downtown vs. the airport. We took a taxi to pick up our car in downtown Anchorage as the cost savings was big enough it was cheaper to do it that way. Due to the taxes they charge at the airport location. (Which is tagged on each day you have the car, not just for picking it up there.)

There are lots of things to think about and consider. Do your research and you will save a lot of $$$. (We saved probably close to a $1,000 by doing just that and also getting the coupon books.)

Good luck!

My, that info. about Flat Top is different. We have been up there three times with a friend who lives in Anchorage and it was a paved road all the way up there and parked on a dirt parking lot. There was nothing wrong with the road. But, the latest we were there was in 2007 so maybe things have changed since then. Maybe rains or storms messed up the road.

Fun, to drive through the residential area also. There is also a house up there that has tall totems in their front yard.

Can't answer your questions because we haven't been to Alaska yet but I see you have been on both Princess and Holland America, you just got off Ryndam to Alaska. Can you tell me which one you liked better. Any major differences? Did you do a Pre or post land tour on each, if so which was better?

We just booked the Ryndam for May of 2010, wondering if we made a mistake and should book through a different line.

Thanks

Jimbo:)

Both cruise lines are excellent!! I really like HAL better because it fits us to the tee. We (DW and I) like quiet laid back atmosphere. I would go on either one again.

Also, Loved the Ryndam. Lovely Ship!! She is showing her age a little but that does not bother me at all. The service was Excellent!!! DW has wrote a review about our ship and itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036454

David

I recommend for lodging looking into bed & breakfasts..Also confirm if you do decide to go this way that you are getting a full breakfast in lieu of the continental one..I will be back in Alaska for the third time this September and everything is B&B except for 1 night..

Thanks,

Thought every B&B had a buffet breakfast. Thank you for clarifying that!!

David

Point of fact: you aren't allowed to drive a rental car up Flat Top. I've done it with an old Subaru 4WD and didn't do the car any good. The road is primitive at best. If you are not used to driving on such roads you can get yourself in a fix and your car will need a fix!

That's interesting. We asked specifically from our rental company and they said no problem. We didn't do it anyway so it doesn't matter. The only places they told us not to drive were some of the very remote highways which we weren't going on anyway.

Search, search, search! I gleaned a lot of info from this board. There are the resident AK experts right here and their input has helped me focus. We are doing a week interior trip on our own for next June. Here is what it looks like:

Flying into Anchorage versus Fairbanks - more airlines = more flight sale possibilities

Booked our car rental already for next June round-trip ANC - downtown location drop off mid-week - $160 for a full size car. We are dropping off and picking back up in ANC or just taking the train to Seward and rely on cabs.

First night - Hampton Inn - serves continental breakfast - shuttle service if you need it. I think I got it for $100 with AAA discount

Nights 2, 3, 4 - Denali Park Hotel. Fridge & Microwave in room. Motel-ish, but serves continental breakfast in the summer. Running a special - book 3 nights and get 20% off. Rack rate starts at $99 for June stays in 2010. ;)

Drive back to Anchorage -

Night 5 - Booked Dowtown Extended Stay for $120 AAA rate. Returning the rental car. Continental breakfast is offered. Shuttle to airport and train depot.

Here's where we are up in the air:

*Return rental and pick up Hertz for one way to Seward or take the train. One way rental is pricey but would be a good value if I only keep car minimal amount of time.

Night 6 & 7 - Holiday Inn Express - $72 plus tax - AAA discount (this place goes fast - it's the big thing in Seward - $200+ a night easily after these are gone)

I've already started reading reviews on places to eat and sites to see. We are doing the shuttle bus in Denali, Kenai Fjord tour in Seward along with hiking at Exit Glacier. We really want to focus on hiking on the interior portion of our trip.

DO look at Northern Lights and Tour Saver. They have some interior tour savings. Fishing guides, flight tours, etc. Lots of BOGO coupons.

For further savings there is a Hostel in Denali that gets a lot of praise. If you have to be ok with the hostel way of life. It's not a traditional B&B or hotel. It's kind of like going camping. Communal bathrooms and kitchen. They have private cabins and co-ed bunk rooms. Even private tents with cots. $55 per couple is what they are listing on their site.

Archived