I have posted twice on the Progreso Board...

WarEagle1

But haven't received any responses! So, I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out!

We will be in Progreso on the Holiday in October and we were hoping to go to the Dz ruins on our own. The idea is to go around 8 or 9 by taxi so we could come back and have time to eat, shop, etc. If anyone has done this before I am trying to figure out how much it might be to hire a taxi to take us, wait, and come back, and if we need to have pesos or if they accept American dollars? If I need pesos (which I don't mind getting) where did you do the currency exchange? Thanks!

But haven't received any responses! So, I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out!

We will be in Progreso on the Holiday in October and we were hoping to go to the Dz ruins on our own. The idea is to go around 8 or 9 by taxi so we could come back and have time to eat, shop, etc. If anyone has done this before I am trying to figure out how much it might be to hire a taxi to take us, wait, and come back, and if we need to have pesos or if they accept American dollars? If I need pesos (which I don't mind getting) where did you do the currency exchange? Thanks!

Pretty much every port we have been with Carnival has excepted American dollars, no need to exchange (taxis included). :)

Sol y Mar

I wouldn't try to book my own excursion in Progresso. We booked through Carnival and still had problems, the driver of our bus did not speak any english, didn't know where he was going and so he tried to keep up with the other bus. Half way to our desination, the tour guide jump off the first bus and got on ours... Did not enjoy Progresso. 5 mile ride down the pier to get to land...:mad:

We didn't do the tour but wanted to so I can tell you when you get off the ship there are people right there before you walk in the shopping center by the pier holding signs for tours offered independantly and it was around $30 a person I believe for the DZ ruins tour. Debbie

US dollars are just fine for the taxi. You will need Pesos for the ruins if you go on your own. Taxi will run you around 30 to 40 dollars if you have them wait for you. Not sure what the current admission fee is for the ruins. Example: the Autoproso tour will cost you $29 per person and includes transportation and all admission cost. The tour runs about 4 hours.

The DZ ruins are the closest to town from my research which is why we wanted to do them.. Also the trip down the pier to town is free by bus if you just want to walk around which is what we did and I really enjoy it as you can look it up and see that this is the longest pier in the world I think. Very interesting. Also you will see there are many more Myan people - just local in town and I so wished I had my camera on me. Much less touristy than say Cozumel and more authentic... Debbie

The DZ ruins are the closest to town from my research which is why we wanted to do them.. Also the trip down the pier to town is free by bus if you just want to walk around which is what we did and I really enjoy it as you can look it up and see that this is the longest pier in the world I think. Very interesting. Also you will see there are many more Myan people - just local in town and I so wished I had my camera on me. Much less touristy than say Cozumel and more authentic... Debbie

I agree, Progresso is like Cozumel was 15 years ago. It is def. authentic and nice IMHO

US dollars are just fine for the taxi. You will need Pesos for the ruins if you go on your own. Taxi will run you around 30 to 40 dollars if you have them wait for you. Not sure what the current admission fee is for the ruins. Example: the Autoproso tour will cost you $29 per person and includes transportation and all admission cost. The tour runs about 4 hours.

That is exactly what I was needing to know! Thank you so much! Thank you everyone else for your responses as well! We are traviling with another couple and the wife speaks fluent spanish, so hopefully that will help! :)

We were there in December. There were 11 family members and we had decided not to do an excursion and go to the market. When we got to the market we changed our minds and booked then and there with Autoprogreso. We did the dz.... ruins and toured the city square. We were rushed to do both. However we did get to shop the market before going to the ruins and Merida.

The ruins were neat. My dd who was 6 at the time, could give you a lot of history afterwards. The good thing was since we had shopped beforehand we were able to leave our stuff on the bus. No one bothered it. Our tour guide was excellent and you could tell he loved his job and was very proud of his heritage.

We were rushed to the Merida city tour but the Dz... ruins was great. They gave us a really good deal for "both" excursions.

We were there in December. There were 11 family members and we had decided not to do an excursion and go to the market. When we got to the market we changed our minds and booked then and there with Autoprogreso. We did the dz.... ruins and toured the city square. We were rushed to do both. However we did get to shop the market before going to the ruins and Merida.

The ruins were neat. My dd who was 6 at the time, could give you a lot of history afterwards. The good thing was since we had shopped beforehand we were able to leave our stuff on the bus. No one bothered it. Our tour guide was excellent and you could tell he loved his job and was very proud of his heritage.

We were rushed to the Merida city tour but the Dz... ruins was great. They gave us a really good deal for "both" excursions.

We had the same tour before and booked with AutoPregresso at the market. The ruins were great and not rushed but the Merida city tour was very short. I think they offer just the ruins tour by its self which would be a better deal.

We did just the DZ ruins thru Autoprogresso and it was great. Was alot cheaper then the ship excursion and had plenty of time to shop and even alittle beach time. Next time I plan on just doing the beach it was so pretty and the water was great

We did the Dzibilichaltun ruins and Merida city tour with Autoprogreso. We had Ivan as our tour guide and he spoken fluent English with an accent. (I have trouble with thick accents and could understand him perfectly.) It was great. I think it was 200 dollars for 6 adults and a kid. That included all the admissions and a tour of the city hall type building which was really neat. We learned ALOT from him and the whole time we were going to DZ, our tour guide was telling us about Mayan culture, politics, cracking jokes, etc. I really recommend a tour with them over a taxi ride. The people we saw driving were really erratic!

We did the Dzibilichaltun ruins and Merida city tour with Autoprogreso. We had Ivan as our tour guide and he spoken fluent English with an accent. (I have trouble with thick accents and could understand him perfectly.) It was great. I think it was 200 dollars for 6 adults and a kid. That included all the admissions and a tour of the city hall type building which was really neat. We learned ALOT from him and the whole time we were going to DZ, our tour guide was telling us about Mayan culture, politics, cracking jokes, etc. I really recommend a tour with them over a taxi ride. The people we saw driving were really erratic!

IVAN!!!! I couldn't remember his name. He was great. You could tell he was really proud of his country and his Myan heritage.

We did just the DZ ruins thru Autoprogresso and it was great. Was alot cheaper then the ship excursion and had plenty of time to shop and even alittle beach time. Next time I plan on just doing the beach it was so pretty and the water was great

Where would you go on the beach? Would you book an excurison or just hit the beach when you get there on your own? We go in Sept and I really don't want to do the ruins again. It's just hubby and I on an annivesary trip this time.

If you book on your own, go with Autoprogresso. They are very reliable and offer good rates. They are right at the end of the pier. I would personally only use Autoprogresso or Carnival in this port due to language barriers and such. U.S. money is fine, unless you shop in Merida, then you need pesos from my experience.

We did the Dzibilichaltun ruins on our own three years ago.

The taxi was about 20 per person.

He waited to take us back.

I don't remember how much the entrance into the ruins was, but I would say less than $10 per person.

We also hired a guide.

At that time the guide was $12 and worth every penny.

Where would you go on the beach? Would you book an excurison or just hit the beach when you get there on your own? We go in Sept and I really don't want to do the ruins again. It's just hubby and I on an annivesary trip this time.

Our group just walked down the beach to Los Arcos....Yellow building, great food and they will serve you right on the beach. We hung out there all day and just relaxed. Great time! :D

• 1 month later...

Archived