air travel in china

rosey1946

internal travel is on a number of different airlines. they use Boeing and airbus planes....well run and interesting. two things don't have drinks with the ice and be prepared for shoving....

I did a Vantage tour of couple of years ago and it was fine including three internal flights....on Southeast China and something like that....

I have had two flights in China: Beijing to Xian and Xian to Shanghai. The flights were superior to most flights in the U. S. Modern Boeing 737s, very good meals served (had not expected anything on the flight to Xian due to the time of day), friendly service; I was impressed.

I have no knowledge about Vantage's transportation arrangements.

I'm thinking of going on a trip to China using Vantage Tours. I've been to their site and they do not name the internal airlines they use. Any information on air travel in China in general?

Thanks-Linda

We had several internal flights in China and felt perfectly safe on all of them.

Be prepared for:

1. Late departures - without exception, every flight departed and arrived late.

2. Noisy airports and chaos at departure gates. China is noisy! Children run around and shout. Adults shout into their phones. You will not be able to hear the boarding announcement, but will see the locals rush the gate as soon as boarding begins.

3. Passengers standing in the aisle and jostling almost as soon as the plane's wheels hit the runway - they don't seem to take any notice of the announcement that requests passengers to stay seated "until the aircraft has come to a complete halt."

4. Announcements in airports and in the plane are made first in the local language and then in English.

5. Good, attentive service from cabin crew.

6. Interest from other assengers, many of whom have not seen a westerner before.

7. You are not allowed to carry any glass bottles on board, never mind what size they are. You cannot carry duty-free on board - it must go in your checked bags. (I've often thought that a smashed liquor bottle would be a far greater threat than a small pair of scissors!)

8. Be prepared to be called to open your checked baggage, if the screening shows anything that cannot be identified. Unlike TSA procedures, they will not just open you bags, but will call you to do it in front of them (and record your passport details in their logs).

We were particularly impressed with the service we received when our flight was diverted en route for Shanghai. Thunderstorms at Shanghai made it necessary for our plane to land at another airport and stay on the ground until the bad weather had passed.

We sat on that runway for about two hours, during which time we were updated every 15 minutes, with announcements. Our group of 6 were the only westerners on that flight, but all announcements were translated into English for us. We were told that we were free to leave the plane and make alternative arrangements to reach Shanghai, if we so wished, but that our luggage could not be offloaded as well. Naturally, we stayed on board.

That flight was not one on which a meal was scheduled to be served. Even so, while we were on the ground, the airline somehow rustled up a hot meal for all passengers, and we ate that while still grounded.

Other passengers tried to talk to us, and some of the younger ones were keen to try out their English.

It was a surprisingly pleasant couple of hours' delay!

I hope you enjoy your holidy in China.

1. Late departures - without exception, every flight departed and arrived late.

2. Noisy airports and chaos at departure gates. China is noisy! Children run around and shout. Adults shout into their phones. You will not be able to hear the boarding announcement, but will see the locals rush the gate as soon as boarding begins.

3. Passengers standing in the aisle and jostling almost as soon as the plane's wheels hit the runway - they don't seem to take any notice of the announcement that requests passengers to stay seated "until the aircraft has come to a complete halt."...

1. all our flights(three) were absolutely on time.

2. the airport was crowded...like being at LGA at Thanksgiving.

for generally such a polite people the airports and planes are chaotic but run very well...

1. all our flights(three) were absolutely on time.

2. the airport was crowded...like being at LGA at Thanksgiving.

for generally such a polite people the airports and planes are chaotic but run very well...

Glad you had a more punctual experience than we did! :)

We found the Chinese people to be charming, individually. But en masse (at airports and railway stations) the sheer numbers and noise were quite amazing!

Archived