Amsterdam Hotel Recommendation?

shipcafe

It depends what you want to spend and where to stay. This site is of the Amsterdamtourist organisation and gives all hotels:

http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/nl/

In the higher class (in city center) think about Renaissance Hotel, Radisson SAS, de l"Europe, Barbizon Palace and Krasnapolsky. Also Victoria Hotel is quite good.

Middle class and more popular in price and is Ibis Hotel, next to the Central Station, and what is now called Ramada on Nieuwezijds.

These both hotels are on a busy and noisy location.

Also Bastion hotels are not expensive, but good for what they offer.

But check the website and if you have anymore questions, let me know.

Ine

April 30 in Amsterdam is a big Queens birthday celebration. Lots of people coming to town and it can be very crowded. Already the night before it starts. So be prepared if you are there then.

At the end of April the flowershow (daffodils, tulips, hyacinths etc.) Keukenhof (20 m. from Amsterdam) is beautiful. If you can, make a visit.

It depends what you want to spend and where to stay. This site is of the Amsterdamtourist organisation and gives all hotels:

http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/nl/

In the higher class (in city center) think about Renaissance Hotel, Radisson SAS, de l"Europe, Barbizon Palace and Krasnapolsky. Also Victoria Hotel is quite good.

Middle class and more popular in price and is Ibis Hotel, next to the Central Station, and what is now called Ramada on Nieuwezijds.

These both hotels are on a busy and noisy location.

Also Bastion hotels are not expensive, but good for what they offer.

But check the website and if you have anymore questions, let me know.

Ine

Thanks for all of your great advice. I guess I am looking to balance economy with location which I'm not sure will work. I will have to do more investigating but your advice is a great place to start.

Dank U Wel!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Great website you have. Must tak up a lot of your time. Is it your profession?

We could have met in Rotterdam, as we attended the dedication of Oosterdam too.

I have a very simple website (free therefore with ads), where some pictures are posted too.

www.tonenine.travel.to

Hi Steve,

Great website you have. Must tak up a lot of your time. Is it your profession?

We could have met in Rotterdam, as we attended the dedication of Oosterdam too.

I have a very simple website (free therefore with ads), where some pictures are posted too.

www.tonenine.travel.to

Thank you for the response and for your great site as well. I enjoyed all of the photos and reviews you've done. I just completed a cruise aboard Ryndam to Mexico & the Sea of Cortez. Some of your photos of the Rotterdam and Oosterdam in Rotterdam have me in them, I believe! I can just barely see myself near the ships! :)

I am planning to publish a Ryndam ship tour and photologue within the next couple of weeks and I will update at that time.

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

Steve

I came to this post to learn about hotels in Amsterdam as we will be there for a few nights before and after our cruise on July 25th.....I will go to that sight that Ine suggested...I did take a look at Ine's site with your trip to New York...what a surprise to see New Paltz and Poughkeepsie...You were in my little corner of the world!!! Happy New Year....:p

Happy New Year (gelukkig nieuwjaar) to you too J&RC.

Actually we were visiting friends there, who we met on a cruise.

We were table-mates and enjoyed each other so much. Thanks to e-mail keeping in contac is so easy.

We were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful country-side in which you live. Also of the fact that so much of the dutch history is still there.

Last spring we had the pleasure of having them here.

If you need more info about hotels in Amsterdam let me know.

Thanks for offering your help...any suggestions are appreciated...we were also wondering about shuttle service from the airport to the hotel...and hotel to ship?? We haven't decided if we should go with HAL's hotel or on our own...Our friend's son has offered to meet us and be our tour guide...I was in Amsterdam on a tour when I was 16...many years ago..but please tell us what we should not miss as my husband has never been there!!!

There is a very good trainconnection from the airport to city-center. But...the line is nowadays also popular with pickpockers. Some robberies have taken place, so be aware. Maybe - although more costly - a cab is better. Then you have to take the cabs outside of the arrivalterminal, not the ones who offer their service inside the terminal. Th "insiders" are not the official registered cabbies.

From citycenter to the cruiseterminal is just a few minutes, so taxi is best. They are building a hotel at the cruisebuilding, but I think it willnot be ready then.

Personally I like the Radisson SAS, Barbizon Palace and Pullitzer hotels. All nice locations, formerly old houses restored into hotels. Sometimes however you pay a high price. During weekend sometimes good offers.

Donot miss Ann Franks' house (now museum) on Prinsengracht. Be there around 1000am, then there is no line yet and hardly any waiting. Close is the Royal palace on Damsquare.

Of course if you like museums: Rijksmuseum and Van Goghmuseum.

Absolutely make a cruise through the canals, always my favorite.

Inside the city there is a tram with connections allover town if you get tired.

There are some very good Indonesian Restaurants in the city for lunch and/or dinner. If the weather is nice a drink on a terrace on Rembrandtplein and watch people.

Also a visit to Diamondshops is attractive.

If you have more time: visit the cities of Delft (Delft Blue factory Porceleyne Fles), The Hague with its beachresort Scheveningen. Both can be done by train.

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on a cruise ship Sept 11. We will be there from 8:30-5:00. I want to do the Anne Frank home and canal ride. My question how easy is it to walk to the Anne Frank house from the dock or how do you suggest we get around? The ship tours do not offer this option and this will be our first time in Europe. Thanks for any info! Pam

You can take the publicbus in front of the terminal to Central Station. From there you either take the tram or walk to Ann Frank's house. which is on Prinsengracht. By tram it is less then 10 minutes, walking from there will be abt. 15/20 minutes.

There probably is an informationstand in the cruise-building, people can show you it on the map. (of course a cab is also possible).

Inside the house you will spend around 1 hr and see pictures, movies and much explanation. Very special place.

It is near the Westerkerk (westernchurch), which is also nice to visit. Often you can climb the stairs in the tower and have a great view of the city.

For those who are sailing on HAL. The trademark of HAL has this little sailing ship in it. Actually that ship was the "Halve Maen" - Half Moon of Henry Hudson, who was looking for a short passage to the Orient.

In the Schreierstoren (weepingtower) not too far away from the Central Station there is a plaque remembering this event.

Oh Pamkev, even after visiting Ann Franks house, you will have time enough to make a canalcruise, which I can really recommand.

Opposite the central station there are some companies offering these tours.

One of the best ways to see the city.

Thanks so much for all that wonderful information...I have printed it out and added it to the folder.....love computers but I still need a hard copy!!!! If I think of anything else I'll be in touch!!!Thanks again!! Jackie:)

The Anne Frank house is an absolute must see although it's very commercial compared to about 10 years ago. It's still a chilling experience. Also, a climb up to the top of the church tower next door will give you great views of the city - The WesterKirk, I believe. The bell still tolls and it's humbling to think that Anne Frank and her family could hear that same bell everyday for almost 2 years while hiding.

The Van Gogh Museum is also high on my list even before the Rijktsmuseum.

I highly recommend The Hotel Ambassade - excellent location and it's a lovely canal house with a great breakfast.

If I may chime in with my two cents worth.....we were in Amsterdam this past summer and loved it! We stayed at the Hotel Krasnapolsky which is a 5-star hotel, but we were able to get a super-saver rate on our room which made the price competitive with a 3-star. The location cannot be beat ~ right on Dam Square. Go to the hotel website for these rates.

For those of you planning to go to the Anne Frank house, the tram is certainly the easiest & fastest way to get there. Be aware, though, that there are many very steep stairs once you are in the house on your tour. I say this for those of you with mobility concerns ~ once you are on the tour inside, there really is nowhere to turn around and exit.

Seems as though everyone "has" to go to the Red Light District while in town, but be very careful there & watch out for pickpockets and petty thieves. I'm no prude, but I found that the whole experience grossed me out. To each their own, I suppose.

The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum were stunning, world-class venues and not to be missed. Much of the Rijks is closed for renovations, but they have brought most of the Rembrandts and Vermeers out so no one will be disappointed!

Have a wonderful visit to Amsterdam!

Mary

Dear Amsterdam-visitors,

as you all -probably- will not know, there is since februari 2004, a new museum, namely "Hermitage aan de Amstel" also called "Hermitage Amsterdam". This is a dependence of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. As you know in the Petersburg-Hermitage only 10% of the art is in the museum, the rest is in the catacomb under the palace. But now a part of it will be shown in Amsterdam.

Here is the website:

http://www.hermitage.nl/

Greetings, Henri.

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! I have been also reading my DK guide to Amsterdam so it's all coming together. I will be visiting Amsterdam the first or second week in March - still finalizing my air schedule ..

Steve

For those who are sailing on HAL. The trademark of HAL has this little sailing ship in it. Actually that ship was the "Halve Maen" - Half Moon of Henry Hudson, who was looking for a short passage to the Orient.

In the Schreierstoren (weepingtower) not too far away from the Central Station there is a plaque remembering this event.

Oh Pamkev, even after visiting Ann Franks house, you will have time enough to make a canalcruise, which I can really recommand.

Opposite the central station there are some companies offering these tours.

One of the best ways to see the city.

Ine~

As you'll see on my web site, I've just added a gallery displaying the newly-enhanced ms Ryndam.

I'd love to hear what you think!

Steve

Steve,

I just finished looking at the new Rijndam photo's, and I am more then impressed. Donot know what to say about it, highly professional job. I think it must be a job as it takes up too much time. Do you publish them too somewhere?

I certainly will have a look at all the other photos too as I am convinced those will be great too. What sailing of Rijndam were you on?

If you have some time left in Amsterdam, try to visit the Scheepvaartmuseum(shipsmuseum), you must like it if you are that fond of ships and travels. We love to go there. It is not far from the cruiseterminal and central station.

http://www.scheepvaartmuseum.nl/index_explorer.htm

At least you must also take a picture of the Henri Hudson sign on the Schreierstoren, his small sailingship is in the HAL trademark.

If I want to contact you can I send an e-mail through your website?

Archived