Maeyanang River Dinner Cruise-Bangkok

alidor

Anyone have any experience with this? This leaves from the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, which I know is a wonderful hotel about 7:30 pm. our ship arrives around 4:00 at Klong Toey port. The distance is only about 11 kilometers so I know it should work out time wise. I've heard this is a wonderful dinner cruise and doing this at night is supposed to offer a beautiful view of the river. The Oriental is very deluxe so I'm assuming their dinner cruise would be a great experience.

We would be on the Azamara Quest, Jan 9 sailing.

Anyone have any experience with this? This leaves from the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, which I know is a wonderful hotel about 7:30 pm. our ship arrives around 4:00 at Klong Toey port. The distance is only about 11 kilometers so I know it should work out time wise. I've heard this is a wonderful dinner cruise and doing this at night is supposed to offer a beautiful view of the river. The Oriental is very deluxe so I'm assuming their dinner cruise would be a great experience.

We would be on the Azamara Quest, Jan 9 sailing.

There are several cruises on the river. Some on larger motorized double deck flat boats that server a buffet style dinner. The other more refined is a classic wooden boat that we passed by twice. Much smaller more intimate and from the looks of it when we passed about only 20% occupied. For meal and intimacy I'd take the small boat, for views I'd take the more tourist one we took.

The link ( http://www.thaipr.net/nc/readnews.aspx?newsid=AF55CA43D50277E92386B685778D4E62) was the smaller wooden one we passed. Looked cool but didn't appear to go too far up and down the river.

Good luck.

The Oriental's original boat sank at her moorings one night some years ago(!) but they now have a new boat.

Here's what they say about it:

Dinner Cruise

Step aboard our “Maeyanang” rice barge for an unforgettable evening filled with dazzling images of river life, starlit temples and monuments. It all begins when cocktails are served, followed by a traditional 4 course set Thai Dinner. The boat is constructed of golden teakwood, with traditional Northern Thai style wooden dining tables and chairs, and is the perfect romantic setting from which to experience the beauty of the River of Kings.

Programme

Programme:

7pm Pre-cocktails

7:30pm Boat leaves from the hotel

10pm Boat returns to the hotel

Rates:

Adult - THB 2,050

Child - THB 1,200

Private events are subject to boat rental fee. Corkage charge - THB 500 per bottle

Private events are subject to 10% service charge and applicable government tax.

There's also the 'Maeyanang Mai' almost the same name but a different operator:

Maeyanang Mai Cruise run from 19.30 to 22.30, starting from Krungthon Bridge at Baan Khun Luang Pier and cruising pass the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Kalayanamitr, Phra Phut Yod Fah Bridge, Taksin Bridge and then returns.

Passengers can enjoin viewing the historical and cultural sites along the Chaophraya River while dining on board. There are also Thai classical music and dance performances during the drip downstream on the Chaophraya River.

Other cultural activities such as an introduction to Thai cooking can be arranged for foreign tour groups upon request.

A crew of seven looks after guests during the cruise.

Thank you for this. Any opinion if this would be enjoyable? I know the Oriental Hotel is literally one of the world's best so I'm just assuming the river cruise associated with them would be an enjoyable experience. Anyone reading this ever done this? I just thought since we are arriving at 4:00 pm, that taking this would be an enjoyable and relaxing introduction to the city.

Thank you for this. Any opinion if this would be enjoyable? I know the Oriental Hotel is literally one of the world's best so I'm just assuming the river cruise associated with them would be an enjoyable experience. Anyone reading this ever done this? I just thought since we are arriving at 4:00 pm, that taking this would be an enjoyable and relaxing introduction to the city.

I think you need to check if the cruise is operated by the Oreintal Hotel or simply leaves from their dock. Like in my previous message it looks like nice ambience, but it is open air so expect it to be warm and humid.

Portions of the river cruise aren't impressive and portions if you sail by the palace and temples are very pretty.

If you arrive at 4pm I can't imagine getting to your hotel or the dock before 6pm at the earliest. I'd plan a 7pm to be safe at the earliest as traffic once you get into bangkok is horrible.

1668151196_0675Dinnercruise.jpg.697e8e7cdeadf64939b0e920aaaec786.jpg

901714048_0665Dinnercruise.jpg.84fd1bba496927b3189e2010f14251ca.jpg

2035385675_0670Dinnercruise.jpg.a411808a0e3b16faeccc0d6c6186ed03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ivenia

We have stayed at the Marriot Bangkok Spa & Resort Hotel on the river, and done the dinner river cruise on their boat - absolutely wonderful. The Volendam overnights there in November, and we will go into Bangkok and spend the night there, and of course do the dinner cruise again. Can't wait!!

I would expect that anything the Oriental name is attached to would also be a great experience. Will do afternoon tea there!

Mary

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to do this - it just looks like a great experience. As the ship comes in at 4 and cocktails for the dinner cruise is at 7 and the cruise departing 7:30, unless there are unforeseen circumstances, I don't see a problem. The only problem I can see, and that's after reading posts about this, is getting to and from the Klong Toey port. There are some ominous warnings about this and I'm a bit concerned about taking a cab to the Oriental and getting back to the port. And for comments about this, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to do this - it just looks like a great experience. As the ship comes in at 4 and cocktails for the dinner cruise is at 7 and the cruise departing 7:30, unless there are unforeseen circumstances, I don't see a problem. The only problem I can see, and that's after reading posts about this, is getting to and from the Klong Toey port. There are some ominous warnings about this and I'm a bit concerned about taking a cab to the Oriental and getting back to the port. And for comments about this, I would greatly appreciate them.

Is the the river barge with a sit down meal? I called Azamara and theirs (Offered on Feb 6 cruise departure) is a barge with set meal (and they have no idea what). The shore excursion with transportation is $125.00pp. Just fyi.

We have stayed at the Marriot Bangkok Spa & Resort Hotel on the river, and done the dinner river cruise on their boat - absolutely wonderful. The Volendam overnights there in November, and we will go into Bangkok and spend the night there, and of course do the dinner cruise again. Can't wait!!

I would expect that anything the Oriental name is attached to would also be a great experience. Will do afternoon tea there!

Mary

Is theirs (Marriott) the a covered river barge with sit down set dinner, or more modern vessel with open top and buffet?

Book the dinner through the concierge at the Oriental and have them send a car for you and take you back to the ship. There are only a few cabs that can actually ENTER the port (security reasons-you need a permit). Otherwise, you have to walk to and from the security gate. Do the ships have shuttles to the gate??

I saw Azamara had the dinner cruise - thank you. We aren't big on tours or crowds and I don't like the idea that the dinner cruise could be us and 100 or so of new found friends. Pricewise, I figured we could do the dinner cruise from the Oriental plus a full day tour from bangkokdaytours (or similar) for about the same price that Azamara is charging just for the dinner cruise.

Probably will do the dinner cruise, overnight in Bangkok, be picked up at the hotel and do the day tour and end up back at the hotel. Would love to stay at the Oriental after the dinner cruise, but considering we would get up early the next morning to tour, it wouldn't be worth the cost. Would love to stay there when we had more time to enjoy the lovely hotel. Probably will end up taking a taxi from the Oriental after the dinner cruise to one of the Marriott hotels (have lots of points) and be picked up there the next morning to start the tour.

Would love comments on this ....

Guest Ivenia

The Marriott boat is enclosed (ceiling with open sides) with a sit down dinner. During that dinner cruise, there was a humongous downpour of rain. The crew - who no doubt had been through this many times - hustled around dropping clear plastic coverings down the sides. It just all added to the fun of the evening. They had umbrellas for us all getting off back at the Marriott.

If you use your points at the Bangkok Spa & Resort, their boat will take you across the river to where the Oriental boat picks up passengers, and so on to the Oriental hotel (much nicer than a taxi!).

Mary

Archived