Advice for NE cruise with 3 year old

hairpin

We've booked a 10 day cruise for the end of October with Norwegian round trip out of NY. It will be the 2nd cruise for my husband and I. We did a 3 day Pacific NW before. And the first for our 3 year old son.

I am not worried that my son will be bored. I think he will have a blast. However I am worried about choppy weather, seasickness, other kinds of sickness like colds/flu/etc.

Does anyone have advice specific to this region for the end of October? I read the seas can be choppy in the Atlantic. But as we aren't doing a trans-Atlantic crossing, I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Should I bring my own Lysol? At least some hand sanitizer, I'm thinking...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

This time of year it will be warm during the day and cold at night. Leaves are changing colors so you will be in the area with tons of other "leaf peepers" so book tours accordingly. The farther north you go the less leaf color change you will see. Weather can be hit or miss as well. I have had it snow on Halloween and I live in So. NH. I have also had it quite warm on Halloween, so it is hard to say exactly. Pack accordingly - i.e. layers. Waters can be rough/choppy, rougher than the Caribbean in January that's for sure. It's not really cold season yet around here at that time, but a little hand sanitizer may not be the worst idea. Lysol is your call. I wouldn't, but that is just me.

The end of October can be choppy, chilly and breezy. Or it can be beautiful. New England is a toss of the dice any time of year really. They say if you don't like the weather just wait a minute. I live on Martha's Vineyard and frequently at the end of October it is too choppy to tender with the ship tenders. They hire larger boats to tender instead.

I have also been on a canada/new england cruise a couple of years ago in the fall and we had some perfectly calm days and one 24 hr period we had 16 foot seas. Just bring some children's dramamine he'll be fine.

We are going round trip out of NY the end of August with our 3 yr old. Haven't done this itinerary with him before but it will be his 9th cruise. We have never had trouble with sea sickness (and we did a Southampton to New York by way of Greenland and Iceland last fall). Kids are so used to being carried around and strapped into strollers and car seats it doesn't seem to phase them as much. He has never caught cold or flu from traveling either (maybe we are just lucky). I always bring childrens Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Benedryl (In case of allergic reaction) with us just in case but I've rarely had to use them.

They are very very careful about sanitation in the "play rooms" on the ship. There is hand sanitizer everywhere..just remind the 3 yr old to use it and dont let them rub their eyes afterward (ouch!) If you are ever concerned about a surface ask a staff member to wipe it down for you.

Cruising with kids is a VERY different experience from cruising alone, but still very fun. Good luck and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
We are going round trip out of NY the end of August with our 3 yr old. Haven't done this itinerary with him before but it will be his 9th cruise. We have never had trouble with sea sickness (and we did a Southampton to New York by way of Greenland and Iceland last fall). Kids are so used to being carried around and strapped into strollers and car seats it doesn't seem to phase them as much. He has never caught cold or flu from traveling either (maybe we are just lucky). I always bring childrens Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Benedryl (In case of allergic reaction) with us just in case but I've rarely had to use them.

They are very very careful about sanitation in the "play rooms" on the ship. There is hand sanitizer everywhere..just remind the 3 yr old to use it and dont let them rub their eyes afterward (ouch!) If you are ever concerned about a surface ask a staff member to wipe it down for you.

Cruising with kids is a VERY different experience from cruising alone, but still very fun. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for your tips...

I'll be cruising 9/13 with our granddaughter who is 4 1/2. Doing the Dawn 7 night Canada/New England. Really excited since this is her first cruise, and, also a little nervous. I'm not sure what to expect. I was hoping you might have some tips for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived