Icy Straight

DocM4

We will be stopping at Icy Straight on our forthcoming Sea Princess Cruise.

We are not planning any excursions - however,We would like to just walk into 'town' and look around. I am wondering if it is a long walk, and if there would be places to sit and rest on the way. My husband doesn't use a walker but isn't able to walk very far without a short rest.

Any suggestions as to what we might do, without going on an excursion would be much appreciated.

The trail into Hoonah is about a mile. There is a shuttle bus that will take you into Hoonah and give you a ride back to the port. That would be my suggestion. Hoonah is small fishing village and you can get a real taste of Alaska there. We love it. The Office Bar has fresh dungeness crab. The Galley makes a tasty halibut pizza. If you just want a snack, Grandma Nina's Coffee Shop has sandwiches, drinks and ice cream cones. The locals hang out there a lot. All are right near the pier and you can watch the boats come and go. Eagles are often flying overhead. And sometimes a whale might come in for you to see. It is the best port for whale watching and going on bear searches, if you decide to do an excursion. Enjoy Icy Strait Point, we sure did and are going back in 12 days!!!!! for a relaxing fishing trip and sightseeing.

We are not planning any excursions - however,We would like to just walk into 'town' and look around. I am wondering if it is a long walk, and if there would be places to sit and rest on the way. My husband doesn't use a walker but isn't able to walk very far without a short rest.

Any suggestions as to what we might do, without going on an excursion would be much appreciated.

I agree with GranMona to take the shuttle into town...I would go hungry and stop at The Office for some fresh crab; then walk just about a long block down to the Galley (two story red bldg on the ledt) for the most delicious Halibut Pizza (they also have great sub sandwiches, etc) and then go next door and stop at Grandma Nina's for an ice cream cone!

Oh yes, make sure as you walk down the street from the Office to look out toward the bay. You just may see Humpback whales!!

And one more thing: Have a wonderful trip GranMona! I am a bit green right now...with envy!

we loved Icy Straight Point,,we walked back from Hoonah,,pretty good walk,,I ate some awesome crab salad down by the dock

We went on the best trip I have ever taken,,,brown bear watching, it was great,,our guide was wonderful,,saw bear,eagles and alot of little deer

Would love to go back

ISP was the one stop where I would have preferred an excursion to unscheduled time. The flock of eagles in the town is not to be missed, however. The tours offered by the ships are all the same, as they are controlled by the port, but there are several local operators that provide a more individualized tour such as Tekk and F.I.S.H.E.S.

Dear Doc: There is a tender that takes u to Icy Strait. A few shops there when arrive, walk along water, cemetery. To actually get into the real town, need to take shuttle for $5pp RT. But, dont really recommend this. Not much to see or do there. Except did see Alaskan symbols and cemetery there. Stay where tender drops u off. Enjoy, elaine

Dear Doc: There is a tender that takes u to Icy Strait. A few shops there when arrive, walk along water, cemetery. To actually get into the real town, need to take shuttle for $5pp RT. But, dont really recommend this. Not much to see or do there. Except did see Alaskan symbols and cemetery there. Stay where tender drops u off. Enjoy, elaine

On our first Alaska cruise, I was very disappointed in the overly touristy ports with rows of tshirt shacks and jewelry stores and made in China trinkets, not to mention the thousands of people off multi ships! I was so happy to get away from that at ISP and go to the town of Hoonah. I guess that is what makes the world go round. People are very different in their tastes!

We went to the show that the natives put on for a bit of history and folklore. The local crafts people have a nice shop in the same building and I am sure I helped the economy by shopping there!

It was a port that was much appreciated after all the busyness of the commercial ports.

Hi DocM4: As a suggestion to you for getting a more exact answer to your question, you might try posting your question on your cruise line board, (Princess, I believe). I have received better replies to exacting questions there as oppose to this Alaska or Canada boards. Seems on the boarder-based boards there are more folks with actual past experience and more of them than on this more specific boards. Seems folks on the smaller boards are info seekers whereas on the larger boards are folks who are post-experience and looking for new cruise ideas. Just some random thoughts on this quiet Sunday morning. DH and I will be in ICP for the first time, so I cannot advise if there are resting areas along the trail to Hoonah. Seems like there are not, though, from what I can gather. I wonder about loose bears along the way, but I guess that ain't a problem or folks would have mentioned that. Have a great trip.

Thanks to all who have answered by post. I have received some helpful advise.

I think a walk about the dock area and the bus into the town will do us quite well. A lunch at the Crab Shack sounds good as well.

I am looking forward to this stop - I like the idea that it is more the "Alaska" we think about that the busier places.

We returned August 7 from Millennium southbound. Icy Straight is a very small community about a mile from where the tender drops passengers. The tender drop is at the cannery which is entirely cruise ship oriented (reminded us of Disney World - but we live in Florida). The walk into town is slightly over a mile and too far for someone with any walking difficulty. Instead, buy a round trip ticket on the shuttle. There is very little in town - a few restaurants and maybe one local gift store. However, it is well worth the trip since it is so different from the cannery area and from the other port stops in Alaska. We also walked around the local (only) grocery store and ACE hardware (in the same building complex). They are right next door to the Office - crab "restaurant". It was fun to see the grocery prices and also the different stuff in the hardware store. There also is a small booth /store in the cannery complex (whre the tender drops off dock) which is run by the local schools (Hoonah) as a fundraiser. I suggest that you stop there and buy or donate - it goes to a great cause!

To be honest, it's not much of a town, and it's not really set up for tourists at all. This is the one stop I would really recommend doing an excursion. We would've been just sitting around if we hadn't done a whale watching tour, and there is just too much out there to be sitting around!

Icy strait is a small town, the best place to eat is the Office, don't forget to sign the guest book, while you're there. The Crab is very good.

What else did you eat Virginia? WE went to the cannery/tourist shops -- I enjoyed it = raining like heck - hopefully next time we can go to Hoonah.

See ya Sat.... Carol

Hi,

I am a first time cruiser and just wondering how much time does tendering take. I will be in ISP/Hoonah in mid-September. I booked a 3 hour bear/wildlife tour with Tekk Outfitters in the morning (8 - 11) and am wondering if I book the Tribal Dance & Cultral Legends show at 1:30 - 2:30, will I have enough time to visit the local stores and the shops at the cannery and still make the ships 5pm departure.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I am a first time cruiser and just wondering how much time does tendering take. I will be in ISP/Hoonah in mid-September. I booked a 3 hour bear/wildlife tour with Tekk Outfitters in the morning (8 - 11) and am wondering if I book the Tribal Dance & Cultral Legends show at 1:30 - 2:30, will I have enough time to visit the local stores and the shops at the cannery and still make the ships 5pm departure.

Any ideas?

You shouldn't have any problem at all. The tender doesn't take much time (10-15 min) and if you finish your day visiting the local stores and shops at the cannery they will make sure you're on the last tender. Our first visit to this great port was in 2005 and we took the very last tender because one of the local woman (Kathy Marvin) was in the process of making a pair of handmade moccassins for my husband.

Enjoy every moment in my favorite place in Alaska!

Hi,

Any ideas?

You will love your bear/wildlife tour with TECKK! Keith is quite a character and will give you a great tour. You will have plenty of time to do it all, just make sure your shopping at the cannery is the last thing you do. The port is very small and you can at least be on the last ferry out with no problem. Matter of fact, between 11-1 you would have plenty of time to stop in at The Office Bar to get a fresh dungeness crab for lunch:)

You shouldn't have any problem at all. The tender doesn't take much time (10-15 min) and if you finish your day visiting the local stores and shops at the cannery they will make sure you're on the last tender. Our first visit to this great port was in 2005 and we took the very last tender because one of the local woman (Kathy Marvin) was in the process of making a pair of handmade moccassins for my husband.

Enjoy every moment in my favorite place in Alaska!

Thank you. I am really looking forward to this. :)

You will love your bear/wildlife tour with TECKK! Keith is quite a character and will give you a great tour. You will have plenty of time to do it all, just make sure your shopping at the cannery is the last thing you do. The port is very small and you can at least be on the last ferry out with no problem. Matter of fact, between 11-1 you would have plenty of time to stop in at The Office Bar to get a fresh dungeness crab for lunch:)

I'll have to give that a try. I've never eaten crab.

Archived