Tampa to Port Canaveral

oceanseagle12

Anyone have any feedback on flying into Tampa and driving to Port Canaveral? I know this might seem crazy, but here is the deal-

I was originally planning to drive to an airport about an hour or so away from my hometown, instead of flying from home airport. This was purely economics- price to fly from home was nearly twice as much.

Then I found a good deal on flight from home airport to TPA, just a few dollars more than what I planned. Transportation to and from airport at home would be a breeze- can get someone to drop off/pick up rather than a taxi, rental, or paying to park.

I'd have to rent a car anyway in Orlando to drive to the port, and can rent one in TPA for the same price.

So, basically it means driving an hour longer in Florida, rather than at home.

Any other things I should think of?

As long as you don't get hung up in morning (or evening) rush hour traffic, it should be a breeze. You have two potential traffic hangup areas:

*Getting from the airport in Tampa to the I4 interchange; it backs up sometimes from the airport to the downtown area due to work rush hour traffic.

*Around the Disney area, though they've made some outstanding improvements to the Interstate & the exits in that area that have alleviated much of the problem.

Barring traffic troubles, you can make it in not much over 2 hours. It's all Interstate or major toll road/highway.

Are you staying overnight somewhere or flying in on the day of the cruise?

If former, you might consider staying somewhere between Tampa and PC in a cheaper motel, then finishing the trip the next morning. Rental car drop off in PC isn't an issue and they'll bring you to the port and pick you up on return. So you've got 2 days rental plus a hotel.

If it's the latter, you have the issue of delayed flights into Tampa, plus traffic so that could cause you to miss the ship.

Anyone have any feedback on flying into Tampa and driving to Port Canaveral? I know this might seem crazy, but here is the deal-

I was originally planning to drive to an airport about an hour or so away from my hometown, instead of flying from home airport. This was purely economics- price to fly from home was nearly twice as much.

Then I found a good deal on flight from home airport to TPA, just a few dollars more than what I planned. Transportation to and from airport at home would be a breeze- can get someone to drop off/pick up rather than a taxi, rental, or paying to park.

I'd have to rent a car anyway in Orlando to drive to the port, and can rent one in TPA for the same price.

So, basically it means driving an hour longer in Florida, rather than at home.

Any other things I should think of?

I must have gotten the same deal you did! To go from CA to Orlando was double what it was from CA to TPA...so, we will be doing a bit of driving. We are renting as car at TPA, & driving to Orlando to spend the night, then on to Port Canaveral the next day, where we can drop off the car.

I think our timing will avoid the congestion on the roads (I hope).

Are you staying overnight somewhere or flying in on the day of the cruise?

If former, you might consider staying somewhere between Tampa and PC in a cheaper motel, then finishing the trip the next morning. Rental car drop off in PC isn't an issue and they'll bring you to the port and pick you up on return. So you've got 2 days rental plus a hotel.

If it's the latter, you have the issue of delayed flights into Tampa, plus traffic so that could cause you to miss the ship.

Definitely flying in the day before- first thing in the morning, to arrive in TPA around 11AM. I have some Marriott Rewards points, so Im thinking of using those for a stay at the Residence Inn in Cape Canaveral.

For the return, flight out is 5PM, so it seems like that gives plenty of time for delays.

I must have gotten the same deal you did! To go from CA to Orlando was double what it was from CA to TPA...so, we will be doing a bit of driving. We are renting as car at TPA, & driving to Orlando to spend the night, then on to Port Canaveral the next day, where we can drop off the car.

I think our timing will avoid the congestion on the roads (I hope).

Good, Im glad Im not the only crazy person. :D

Archived