Spirit-No lunch on embarkation day?

maddygirl

Hi all,

a friend of a friend just got back from her Boston-Bermuda cruise last Friday and in response to a question of mine told me to bring snacks along-they didn't get a bite to eat until 4 pm.....what's up with that? I was under the impression that upon boarding, we could go to a dining room for a lunch? Does anyone have any different experiences (or same) to share on the subject?

TIA

Tina

I was on the 7/31 Boton to Bermuda cruise. We boarded around 12:30 and sat around the aft area for a couple hours with drinks before deciding we would like something to eat. The buffet was still open (around 2:45?) but not much out, we did have some cheese, crackers and breads. Earlier, I did see many people walking around with plates of food and there was a table set up at the outside raffles bar with some lunch items. I don't think you will have trouble finding anything to eat.

• Administrators
Hi all,

a friend of a friend just got back from her Boston-Bermuda cruise last Friday and in response to a question of mine told me to bring snacks along-they didn't get a bite to eat until 4 pm.....what's up with that? I was under the impression that upon boarding, we could go to a dining room for a lunch? Does anyone have any different experiences (or same) to share on the subject?

TIA

Tina

I have no idea what happened to your friend (obviously). But one dining room and the buffet should be open on boarding, and I've never heard before that they weren't with one exception. We once had someone complain about this exact thing here and it turned out that they had boarded at the very last minute (with cruiseline booked transportation) and by the time they were onboard all the venues were closed until after muster drill. Is it possible that's what happened to your friend?

we had that happen to us, boarded after 2pm. the buffet was shutting down and the main dining room had closed. as soon as muster drill is over, they started setting up the sail-a-way party, then the main dining rooms and the buffet opened for dinner a little while later.

I have no idea what happened to your friend (obviously). But one dining room and the buffet should be open on boarding, and I've never heard before that they weren't with one exception. We once had someone complain about this exact thing here and it turned out that they had boarded at the very last minute (with cruiseline booked transportation) and by the time they were onboard all the venues were closed until after muster drill. Is it possible that's what happened to your friend?

no, the weird thing is they boarded with plenty of time to spare....I have a feeling they weren't told about food and didn't go searching for it either.....I'm sure she would think I was a nut for all the time and research i spend here on CC, but it's for these little things that I treasure this website!

I feel for your friend. A number of years ago DH and I had been dieting (actually fasting) for four days pre-cruise so we wouldn't gain too much weight during our week at sea. We got to the pier a bit late and after settling in our cabin went in search of our first meal in many days. First we headed to the dining room we had read was open. It was just closing and they were seating no one else. Then we headed to the buffet - same result. So we went back to our cabin and devoured the fruit basket until it was time for our 1st seating dinner! What I found out later was that they were serving hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and ribs up on the deck all afternoon! I think we were just too feint from hunger to have scoped that out properly!! :confused:

no, the weird thing is they boarded with plenty of time to spare....I have a feeling they weren't told about food and didn't go searching for it either.....I'm sure she would think I was a nut for all the time and research i spend here on CC, but it's for these little things that I treasure this website!

sounds like that was their problem, not the ships. Of course the buffet will shut down at a certain time, that is to be expected, but if your friends didn't ask or investigate i bet they were hungry by the time everything started opening for dinner.

Nita

Nita,

that's what I'm hoping, but she didn't really say-she did state there was no food until after 4 pm. Me personally, I'm one of those as soon as I'm on a ship, I search high and low to get the layout of the place and ask lots of questions....

since we'll prob be getting to black falcon pier at 12, I just didn't want to wait until after 4 to eat (since most likely I will only have grabbed a coffee in the am)....

A tip for all future cruisers, no matter the ship, no matter the cruise line. After boarding the ship, READ the daily activities sheet that the ship prints for your benefit. It will list all the dining venues that are open along with the hours. I guarantee you that the OP's friend didn't do this, which is unfortunate, because it's the best way to figure out what's available and when.

P.S. On all my NCL cruises, one of the main dining rooms, along with the buffet, has been open for lunch on embarkation day.

They tend to direct you to go to the buffet instead of mentioning the dining room is open. I learned about it being open on Cruise Critic and made a point of going there for lunch. I had the best baby back ribs for lunch.

Dave

I'm with you...I treasure CC too. I learned sooooo many things about cruising here. Anyone who is a serious cruiser... meaning that you just "love to cruise" and do it as often as your life will allow.... should be a CC member.

All the little things add up to a more pleasant experience.............and in spite of some of the occasional rude and sarcastic answers....no one should ever feel intimidated to ask a question, no matter how trivial it may seem....ask away. There are tons of wonderful, helpful, polite posters here always willing to help you out. :D

Lambs - most probably you were so weak that you didn't even smell the barbecue !

OP - I'm sure your friends were mistaken. If they were on board at lunch time and there was no food anywhere available , there would have been a revolt for sure. That first meal is one of the things I look forward to most of all. I love getting something from the buffet and relaxing at table in the Great Outdoors.

On our first cruise we were a group of eight. Most of us were newbies. Two had sailed just once before. I impressed everyone with my knowledge of the ship's layout, the restaurants, the activities, the time frames etc etc (all thanks to CC)

I feel for your friend. A number of years ago DH and I had been dieting (actually fasting) for four days pre-cruise so we wouldn't gain too much weight during our week at sea. We got to the pier a bit late and after settling in our cabin went in search of our first meal in many days. First we headed to the dining room we had read was open. It was just closing and they were seating no one else. Then we headed to the buffet - same result. So we went back to our cabin and devoured the fruit basket until it was time for our 1st seating dinner! What I found out later was that they were serving hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and ribs up on the deck all afternoon! I think we were just too feint from hunger to have scoped that out properly!! :confused:

LOL.. Lambs.. Please do not do this again.. LOL.. I had this image of you and your friend crawling up the gang plank dragging luggage behind you, unable to stand fully upright because of hunger. LOL. Diet afterwards when you can be weak for work, etc.. LOL. I imagined the look on the room stewards face when he came back into your room where just a little bit ago he left a beautiful fruit basket and now there is an apple core and a banana peel. hehehehe.. too funny of an image.

Nita,

that's what I'm hoping, but she didn't really say-she did state there was no food until after 4 pm. Me personally, I'm one of those as soon as I'm on a ship, I search high and low to get the layout of the place and ask lots of questions....

since we'll prob be getting to black falcon pier at 12, I just didn't want to wait until after 4 to eat (since most likely I will only have grabbed a coffee in the am)....

us too, we head for our cabin if it is ready so we can get rid of any carry ons and then it is onto the buffet deck or whatever. I will say, I hope she just didn't look, in the olden days, there were no lunches served on embarkation day. Let's hope this isn't a new trend. From the comments I think we can still count on lunch.

NIta

LOL.. Lambs.. Please do not do this again.. LOL.. I had this image of you and your friend crawling up the gang plank dragging luggage behind you, unable to stand fully upright because of hunger. LOL. Diet afterwards when you can be weak for work, etc.. LOL. I imagined the look on the room stewards face when he came back into your room where just a little bit ago he left a beautiful fruit basket and now there is an apple core and a banana peel. hehehehe.. too funny of an image.

We never contemplated what the room steward thought!:eek: We did find our fruit bowl was kept fully stocked all week, however! (but don't think we ever touched it after that first afternoon!)

We just got off the Spirit this morning.

Windows, the main dining room, offered lunch and Raffles, the buffet, offered lunch as well. I know that the buffet was open until 3:00 pm. At that time most things do close in order to do the emergency drill.

i didn't read all the responses. but i'm sure if this person simply followed their noses, they would have found food. the only exception being during the time the muster drill is being conducted.

but if you say they boarded with plenty of time...i don't see how they missed the buffet. people are practically shown the way to the pool deck.

at the worst...i'm sure the sailaway party had the bbq grills going!

We just got off the Spirit this morning.

Windows, the main dining room, offered lunch and Raffles, the buffet, offered lunch as well. I know that the buffet was open until 3:00 pm. At that time most things do close in order to do the emergency drill.

Make sure you post a review. We sail in 5 weeks!!!

Make sure you post a review. We sail in 5 weeks!!!

I am working on it now :)!

The condensed version is:

Beautiful ship, very helpful staff, excellent/incredible weather, smooth sailing to and from Bermuda, wonderful food, and great island:D!

I will get to the details in the full review.

I did not want to get off. We were very happy customers!

we were on the july 24 spirit to bermuda. we were starving when we got to the port and were thinking about going to get some lunch near the port so i stopped and asked one of those NCL helpers that are all around when you are getting your bags into the terminal and he said, well there is a cafe in the next building but they are going to start boarding the ship any minute and there is food available as soon as you board so why not get on line and get on the ship. so we did. it took us what seemed like 10 or 15 minutes to check in and get on the ship (time may have gone quickly because of how giddy we were and busting with anticipation) but anyway, we got on the ship, starting looking around and when we peeked into the windows restaurant we saw that there were people in there already sitting down and appearing to be eating food. so we went in and asked if we could have lunch. the hostess showed us to a table and the four of us sat down and had an outstanding lunch, it was great.

Archived