Do your relatives freak out when you go on a cruise?

Coco83

It really makes me mad when our friends and family make comments about us cruising. Considering we live below our means and I work more hours than I need to, my extra money goes to cruising. So if we want to take 2 cruises a year, why should anyone care. It seems to me that cruising still has that stigma of being a luxury vacation where it would appear I would be wasting a lot of money that we really don't have. Since it is so affordable it makes a great choice. But if I spent the same money and went to Yellowstone National Park for a week no one would think anything of it.

So true. We are going on a road trip to Seattle. Between hotel costs, gas, attraction tickets, food, and what ever else may come up, we are definately spending more than we spent to book our upcoming cruise. If we mention the road trip, people say "Oh that will be nice". Mention the cruise and it's "Must be nice to make that kind of money." I try to educate people on just how economical of a vacation a cruise can be, but I think I give up.

As Italian and worrisome that my parents are.. .This is one area where they say Be careful and have a great time!

They are well traveled, have also cruised with us several times..

My mommy and daddy know I am adult and can take care of myself.. ;) - they would be more worried about the person that pisses me off lol!

My mommy and daddy know I am adult and can take care of myself.. ;)

As I said to my parents the last time they made "the face", I could be chasing that minor league hockey team around again. (And my sister could go back to touring with her favorite band.) I think they pretty much prefer our cruising than to driving all over the country in the dead of winter to such exotic locals as Peoria, Quad Cities, Detroit, Salt Lake City, and Columbia SC.

As I said to my parents the last time they made "the face", I could be chasing that minor league hockey team around again. (And my sister could go back to touring with her favorite band.) I think they pretty much prefer our cruising than to driving all over the country in the dead of winter to such exotic locals as Peoria, Quad Cities, Detroit, Salt Lake City, and Columbia SC.

Yep... lol

LOL! No........just never had family problems.......and I choose my friends wisely;) Who has time for pettiness:confused:

Wanna trade? Most of my family is certifiable. But hey, at least they're fun! You'll never be bored! :p

Our family thinks it's great we cruise/travel so often. Occasionally, they go with us and my DS and DIL like it so much that they have started cruising once a year, which is amazing because we could never get him to go with us when he was young; so for a while we stopped cruising and did "see America" vacations that were wonderful. My friends on the other hand, probably think we have much more money than we actually do. I choose my vacations carefully and always look for specials, so I get a big bang for my buck. While we probably spend a larger percentage of our discretionary income on travel than most people, it is what we enjoy doing.

They are well traveled, have also cruised with us several times..

That's it in a nutshell...they are well traveled. It's people that have no clue what travel is actually like (the ones that do nothing but sit and watch TV news and Nancy Grace as the other poster stated) that are the ones who are so fearful.

That's it in a nutshell...they are well traveled. It's people that have no clue what travel is actually like (the ones that do nothing but sit and watch TV news and Nancy Grace as the other poster stated) that are the ones who are so fearful.

I'd feel bad for those poor pirates if they ever had the misfortune of hijacking Nancy Grace. oofah

LOL

I think it's more of a personality thing.. one either has a worrisome personality or they dont.. whether it's cruising or something else..

Funny they worry about everything.. If I drive in the rain.. they worry.. but not about this..

:)

I remember my first trip alone, I was in my early twenties. The President-elect of Mexico had just been assasinated the day before I was to leave (and on my birthday to boot). My DH (well, he was just my boyfriend then) said to me, "I know you are not going. They just murdered the President!". My response to him was, "Well, they weren't shooting at ME."

After subsequent trips, my mother told me to "Stay out of Mexico". :rolleyes:

The best thing you can do is email and send lots of pictures.

As far at the money goes, my motto is , I don't care what you do with your money as long as you don't ask me for mine.:o

..........she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" ...........

Coco83,

Is that excursion offered at many ports? I've been to a few and haven't found it yet. I'm still looking though. :)

Ok so we go to Disney World often. My family always asks us "why are you going back there again?" "Why don't you go somewhere else?" "I don't understand what you see there all the time" and so forth. We are going on our second cruise in 9 days and My Mom is upset because my DWs parents are going on the same cruise. She thinks we invited her DWs parents and not her. What actually happened was we told DWs parents what cruise we were going on and they said is it ok if we go on the same cruise? We were like, not a problem (we live in PA and they are in FL). We figured it would be a great way to see them and they can see our kids for a nice visit and still both families get a great vaca out of it. My mom thinks we are not being honest about it. What ever! We can't wait to go and we are just glad we don't have to see her before the vaca to hear more crap about it! So yes, MY family gives us crap about our vacas, no matter where we are going.

Ask your MIL how much you think you should charge if your are abducted.

Me and my wife got certified for scuba diving after taking our first cruise. About a week before my second cruise, I went out and bought the DVD "Open Water" for my MIL to watch. That is the one where they left the two divers behind.

Another time I called her and asked her if she knew where her daughter was. I told her in a little bitty airplane about 3000 feet up in the air. She told me I should have waited until she at least got on the ground.

Another time I showed her video of a flight of her daughter in an open cockpit ultralight. This was right before we were hit by Hurricane Dennis.

Then the best one was the video right after we got done skydiving for the first time. I thought MIL was going to freak out.

Dave

You are SSSSOOOOOOOOOO Mean!!! rotflol

Are we related?!!!

To the OP, my mother has said the exact same things! After 37+ cruises, she still makes the same comments before every cruise and tries to get us to cancel the trip. Always.

What cracks me up is when we started cruising, my mother said I would be kidnapped and sold as a sex slave. When I put on some pounds, it was my daughter and not me anymore!!

When my son was a toddler, she started saying, he was going to fall overboard. Of course, she backs up her arguments with the latest cruise news from CNN etc. She has commented that he may be abducted as well.

I have heard them all. As a final comment, she just finally says how she hated cruising the one time she went in the '50s and how she was seasick -- "How can you stand it??"""""

Thanks for the thread. I have enjoyed reading other's stories.

My DH & I have been on a few cruises in the past, one of them actually with my MIL. However, for some reason...she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" and my husband pushed overboard- her exact words. She always gets worried when we tell her we are going. She will be driving us to the port this Sunday & I need some suggestions to ease her mind or else that 45 minute drive will feel like a lifetime.:eek:

The only one who minds is my son....because we will not pay for him (he's 24 years old)....

Most of my relatives are also dead ! ! :rolleyes:

The remainder just oooooh and ahhhhh when told I'm leaving in a day or so to cruise the "whatever". I definitely rub it in after having come aboard by calling all of them just before I sail . . . especially my ex-wife (we're good friends). :D

For those that go into the "rich contractor mode", I merely remind them that they could afford it also if they'd get their noses out of that bottle of scotch or whiskey they consume almost daily. :rolleyes:

Now and then, someone in my World Problem Solving Group (my cigar hangout) many of them cruisers, hears mention of the "personal dangers" of cruising. This person usually goes into a long diatribe about robbery, mayhem, drowning, and murder . . . We all live in LA, so we just look at each other silently for a second and then break out into raucous laughter.:D

Archived