clam shell at Half Moon Cay

tuffy0317

The clam shell was definitely a great, economical buy for us on the Miracle in May.

Get off the ship early! We were on the 3rd tender and it was a long, hot walk down the beach in the sand to the location of the available clam shells. There were 6 of us, we got 2 clam shells and squeezed a 3rd lounger into each.

We spent most of the day in the water. Without the clam shell I didn't see much shade and it was blazin' when we were there!!!:cool:

• 11 months later...

This is an older thread but I assume what it says still holds true. The Carnival site says it's $15 for 1 hour of a clam shell, but based on what it says here I'll assume that's wrong and it's actually $15 for the day. $15 an hour would add up in a hurry.

Funny, the Carnival website says two different things in different places about where you can reserve them. This link says you can only reserve them onboard:

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=M&portcode=HMC&excursionname=Clam+Shell&excursioncode=420019

While this link says you can only get on at the watersports hut on the beach (That's also the link that says $15 for 1 hour):

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?portname=Half+Moon+Cay%2C+Bahamas&portcode=HMC&region=BH

So who knows, but most people here seem to say you can't reserve it onboard.

I'll just update the thread with my experiences last year: I don't remember how much we paid ($15 for the day sounds about right), but DH and I got a clam shell. It got SO HOT in there though, that we barely used it. It did help a little if you propped the back up with a stick, but there was just zero air movement inside the thing. I found a hammock in the shade and DH alternated between floating in the water and sitting in a lounge chair in the shade.

We could not reserve ahead of time, but didn't really need to. We just walked down the beach (and we were not the first ones off the ship either), found an empty one and flagged the guy down who was walking the beach, inserting the polls into them.

Enjoy your time at Half Moon Cay - it was the highlight of our cruise last year!

We were on Half Moon Cay in May and the clamshell was $17 for the day. It was very easy to get--just walk down the beach, just past the beach bar a little way, and there's a little hut and various other types of water rentals sitting out in the sand. Several HMC personnel will be walking around and setting up the clamshells--there are lots of them. We took our good old time getting over to the island and there were plenty to go around. The only person that actually used it in our group of six was my DH, since he had burnt badly the day before. But, I loved having the shade to keep my beachbag and other things out of the hot sun. It was great. This is the best $17 spent--they use the S & S card. Half Moon Cay is THE most beautiful island ever. Love, Love, Love it. Have a great time--no doubt that you will!

Archived