clam shell at Half Moon Cay

tuffy0317

I definitely need shade when I'm on the beach, so DH and I were thinking about renting a clam shell at Half Moon Cay. Is this something we can do in advance prior to boarding, or something we do on the boat or at the island?

Thanks!

Guest Crazeecat5
You have to do it on the island. We just got back from HMC and the clamshell was absolutely worth the $17.

Hi there,

Just wondering....

Do you rent it with your S&S card or can you use cash!

Thanks!

They are terrific, but you can't book ahead of time on Carnival. We can reserve one online when we sail on Holland America and I did just that recently for our Oct. 18th cruise on the Westerdam -- $14.00. Interesting that Carnival charges more and doesn't even let you book ahead of time. We were on the Fascination in May and were surprised when we discovered we couldn't book the clamshell online before we sailed. The clamshells provide relief from the sun and have two loungers. They are close to the beach and definitely worth the money. Enjoy!

Wish we could have done that. I guess it's a ship-by-ship situation. We were told we had to wait until we got on the island.

We were told the same......I brought a water spray with a fan which kept us cool.....even if the air is not moving, it was better than sitting in the sun.....the clamshells do rent out fast.....

Here is a photo....

044_44.jpg.8a02bf549735deebfc03945b617ed69f.jpg

I have also read a suggestion that if you "prop up" the back of the shell just a little, so that some air flow is possible, that it stays a little cooler.

We tried that, to no avail. It was a perfect dead calm that day, no wind or breeze at all. The upside it, it's easy enough to drop the shell or find a bit of shade it wasn't a huge issue.

We were told the same......I brought a water spray with a fan which kept us cool.....even if the air is not moving, it was better than sitting in the sun.....the clamshells do rent out fast.....

Here is a photo....

Thanks for that pix, I just sent it to DW so we had an idea what they look like.:)

For our Miracle cruise 9/5 I called Carnvial about another detail and asked about the clam shell and was told you could book both the cabana and clam shell @ the excursion desk once on board. But you know, each person @ Carnival can tell a different story:p.....l

I've also read that there's plenty of shade to be had if you move your loungers around. True?

Do you mean if you don't have a clamshell? No....in front of the clamshells...it was just rows and rows of lounges.....

045_45.jpg.7e473be1a16fbfef1c379265c0188b8c.jpg

We were on the Pride in July and could only rent when we got to the Island. There are plenty for rent and not good directions to where you go. But we were so glad we rented it. We asked the person who set our clamshell up to prop the back up with another lounge chair. He happily did that for us. It was a beautiful day with light breezes and we truly would have loved to stay there instead of heading to Nassau for the last Port stop.:D

Archived