Star Out of Service Oct 9 - Nov 13, 2010

Just got a letter from NCL today stating that our cruise on Oct 9, 2010 is cancelled. They are also stating that the ship is going into dry-dock for this duration.

Anyone want to start speculating what the reason may be, or is it a general maintenance?

Could it be for the Olympics???

Big Green

Could it be for the Olympics???

Big Green

The Olympics are in February...Dry Dock is scheduled for October/November, so it would seem doubtful that the Olympics are the reason.

The most likely reason for the dry dock is that NCL wants to perform work on the ship.

The Olympics are in February...Dry Dock is scheduled for October/November, so it would seem doubtful that the Olympics are the reason.

The most likely reason for the dry dock is that NCL wants to perform work on the ship.

I guess I should have been clear I meant an extended dry dock after the Olympics hotel deal ( it will probably need it) and Alaska cruises.

BG

I guess I should have been clear I meant an extended dry dock after the Olympics hotel deal ( it will probably need it) and Alaska cruises.

BG

Hotel deal is in February. They will have the same crew onboard, and will be tied up in North Vancouver for the duration performing routine maintenance. They plan on doing engine work during this time, as the ship will not be sailing for two weeks.

A 6 week drydock in Oct/Nov 2010 is long and typically that length means a major service or upgrade. Being that the ship will be 9 years old, I suspect that she will be getting a major refitting.

OP.. I am very sorry your cruise was cancelled. Hopefully this is enough advanced notice that you can make other arrangements without it being to difficult (airline changes, hotel changes, etc) and I do hope NCL threw in a little something to help with those changes.. 8-)

On the other hand, for selfish reasons I am thrilled she is going into such a long dry dock. We love the Star and I can tell you I will be looking forward to sailing on her some time after she had been in such an extended dry dock for a face lift. After all, all of us diva's could use a face lift every now and then.. LOL.. I have been begging Doug to let me have one for years now. 8-)

The Star had been scheduled to go into dry dock November 7, 2009 for maintenance, but it was just recently canceled. NCL must have felt the Star could go one more year before it would need the dry dock.

I agree with you. This year's drydock was cancelled and they postponed it for a year.

OP.. I am very sorry your cruise was cancelled. Hopefully this is enough advanced notice that you can make other arrangements without it being to difficult (airline changes, hotel changes, etc) and I do hope NCL threw in a little something to help with those changes..

The OP can't have airline changes to make, because you can only book airline tickets 11 months in advance, and the original cruise was to sail 14 months from now.

The OP can't have airline changes to make, because you can only book airline tickets 11 months in advance, and the original cruise was to sail 14 months from now.

Nope, nothing was concrete on this cruise.

Had to make a booking by April 20, 2009 otherwise we would have forfeited our Cruise Reward. So, this all works out. We'll change the booking and take the $100 OBC they are giving us.

J.

Just got a letter from NCL today stating that our cruise on Oct 9, 2010 is cancelled. They are also stating that the ship is going into dry-dock for this duration.

Anyone want to start speculating what the reason may be, or is it a general maintenance?

Actually, it's from 10/2/10 to 9/25/10... It starts sailing on 11/20/10 NOT 11/13/10. The only cruise showing up between Oct 2010 and Nov 2010 is the 15-day Panama Canal on 11/20/10... :rolleyes:

Actually, it's from 10/2/10 to 9/25/10... It starts sailing on 11/20/10 NOT 11/13/10. The only cruise showing up between Oct 2010 and Nov 2010 is the 15-day Panama Canal on 11/20/10... :rolleyes:

Auctaully I am correct :D - As stated, all sailings from Oct 9, 2010 to Nov 13, 2010 are cancelled (Not 9/25/2010 as you state!).

Here's the copy of the PDF:

IMPORTANT:

CANCELLED SAILING INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding all of Norwegian Star's 7-Day Mexican Riviera sailings from Los Angeles, California from October 9, 2010 to November 13, 2010.

In order to perform required maintenance, Norwegian Star will be out of service in dry dock and, as a result, we are regrettably forced to cancel the above mentioned sailings. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by these cancellations and would like to thank you for your understanding.

Norwegian Cruise Line is encouraging you to transfer your existing reservation to any Norwegian Cruise Line sailing from now until November 30, 2010 and the cruise fare will be re-priced. Guests will also receive a $100 per stateroom on-board credit ($200 on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any

expenditure on the ship.

Guests who wish to cancel their reservation may do so without cancellation fees. If we do not receive a response by 5:30 pm ET on Friday, August 28, 2009, your reservation on Norwegian Star will be automatically cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Monday, August 17, 2009. Please let

us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8 am to 5:30 pm ET Monday through Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services & Revenue Management

Auctaully I am correct :D - As stated, all sailings from Oct 9, 2010 to Nov 13, 2010 are cancelled (Not 9/25/2010 as you state!).

Well, that 9/25/2010 was a HUGH typo.:eek: I had notes written down earlier and I had that date written. I did mean to say 11/20/10 :eek:

But, when you say it like you said SAILINGS from 10/9 to 11/13, then you are correct. But your subject says out of service between those dates which IS incorrect. :D I know, it's picking nits. :D

Well, that 9/25/2010 was a HUGH typo.:eek: I had notes written down earlier and I had that date written. I did mean to say 11/20/10 :eek:

But, when you say it like you said SAILINGS from 10/9 to 11/13, then you are correct. But your subject says out of service between those dates which IS incorrect. :D I know, it's picking nits. :D

Geesh, talk about picky.

Perhaps I should have said SAILINGS from Oct 9 - Nov 13, 2010, then nobody would have JUMPED all over me. I assumed most people would have figured that out, but clearly not.

Just love the message board police - no wonder I mainly stick to the roll calls.:mad:

Terry (and Doug)...

I wish to complain...

The high cost of inflation makes my Starbucks latte a luxury these days, so when I lost a mouthful when I laughed out loud at your post, I think you owe me one!!! ha-ha - just kidding... but you kill me!!!

You will love this.... last year I had to have a cyst meoved on my cheek and it required plastic surgery. So I figured, since I was going under the knife anyway, good time to have my droopy eyelids done. Loved it! No regrets! (Doug, hope you are listening!)

Geesh, talk about picky.

Perhaps I should have said SAILINGS from Oct 9 - Nov 13, 2010, then nobody would have JUMPED all over me. I assumed most people would have figured that out, but clearly not.

Just love the message board police - no wonder I mainly stick to the roll calls.:mad:

I'm not being the message board police...or didn't you notice the big smiley? :D:D

But then, maybe you were talking about yourself with your comment on my thread about the Star being in drydock. ;) You know....like this without any type of smiley:

Dude, do a search on the message board, this is being chatted about in this thread:

How does one do a search for a topic like this? I did think about it but decided it would take too long. But then, if I had just put in drydock....hmmmmm oh well. What's done is done. :p

Nope, nothing was concrete on this cruise.

Had to make a booking by April 20, 2009 otherwise we would have forfeited our Cruise Reward. So, this all works out. We'll change the booking and take the $100 OBC they are giving us.

J.

I am sure along with your OBC they extended the date on your cruise reward. Not a bad deal and you could still do the Star after the extended dry dock, she should be looking like new.

The Norwegian Star, or "Superstar Libra" as she was intended to be called, was the first vessel to be fitted especially and expressly for the Freestyle Concept.... back when NCL boats all had "ward" after their names (think Leeward, Windward, Starward ('cept for Big Blue Herself)... in fact Norwegian Star could've been Starward 2 if HER "Stars" didn't align properly)

Anyway, given that she's the first of the next generation of cruise ships--a veritable elderstatesman, don't you think she deserves a little R & R? 'Specially after her original R & R was cancelled. (That's R & R--as in Rest and Refurbishment):D:p:)

Sorry they cancelled your cruise though. That Sux!:eek:

And I Thank you

JWK: Starward:D

Archived