Float Plane- Nanaimo or Victoria?

We are visiting Victoria and Nanaimo on a 4 nt PNW cruise in October. I have always wanted to do a seaplane tour and I see that there are a number of companies that offer them in both ports.

Which port would be better for the scenery or are they both pretty similar? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks

We are visiting Victoria and Nanaimo on a 4 nt PNW cruise in October. I have always wanted to do a seaplane tour and I see that there are a number of companies that offer them in both ports.

Which port would be better for the scenery or are they both pretty similar? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks

The float plane to Nanaimo is quicker & cheaper, and you don't see as much.

Flying to Victoria is about twice the lentgh, and flies over a lot of islands (whereas Nanaimo is pretty much a straight shot over the straight of Georgia).

What's more important, price or scenery?

Insider Hint: Get there EARLY and claim the co-pilot's seat on Harbour Air, they fly small enough aircraft there's only one pilot, and the right seat is available for passengers.

The 2 major companies offering float plane service out of Vancouver harbour to Victoria and Nanaimo are West Coast Air and Harbour Air. The trip to Victoria will prove much more scenic as the aircraft often flies over parts of Vancouver, the Gulf/San Juan Islands and sometime even part of Victoria. Plus once in Victoria you can take in some of the local sights. Over the years I have flown in the right seat of many Beavers and Otters but I much prefer the comfort of of the twin Otters that West Coast flies that have TWO engines and TWO pilots. I have also seen Harbour Air fly in weather that West Coast Air wouldn't fly in and that gives a warm fuzzy feeling about them. The fares seem to range from from about $99 to $134 one way.

http://www.westcoastair.com/default.aspx

http://www.harbour-air.com/

Thanks

I'm assuming that you're actually doing this as an excursion while your ship is in Victoria or Nanaimo. If that's the case both would be memorable, but I'd choose Nanaimo. There's plenty of spectacular scenery from both; Nanaimo is just as close to the Gulf Islands as Victoria plus you'd get a better view of the mountains on the mainland and Vancouver Island; also, Victoria is a much larger city and you'll definately have no problems finding other things to keep yourself busy that day.

The nice thing about your choice is that you'll be right whichever you pick! ;)

Thanks for all your replies, yes you are right it is a shore excursion whilst the ship is is in port that I am looking for.

I am leaning towards Westcaost air in Nanaimo for a flightseeing tour, as you say there are plenty of other options in Victoria.

Thanks again for your advice:)

Archived