Veendam, Lanai Cabins, Chair Hogs......

sail7seas

I had a non-lanai cabin next to a lanai cabin on the Veendam lower promenade last month and I urge everyone not to worry.

It's true we were in Alaska and I'm sure deck chair use was not at its max. Still, temperatures were warm much of the time. There was plenty of deck chair availability at all times on lower promenade.

It's true the reserved plaques are very small and easy to miss. They are there, however, to clearly establish the priority of the lanai cabinholders to them if they ever find them in use by others. No arguments to be had on that score.

But there are non-lanai cabins with non-reserved chairs in front of them interspersed with the lanais. On my cruise, any reserved chair would have had an available nonreserved one within a few steps at all times. There were a lot of chairs.

Also, the deck is still wide. It's not like the lanai cabins are sticking out allowing only a narrow passageway between them and the rail. Walkers are not going to be prevented or seriously impeded from getting by unless people start lining up two or more deck chairs end-to-end across the deck.

It's probably only if you notice those new look all glass doors that you'll realize anything is different about Lower Promenade.

Thank you for the report.

I think of a lanai as more of a porch or patio, as on the island of Lanai, rather than a balcony, which to me is something elevated. When I first heard of the idea of lanai cabins I expected they would have some sort of "reserved" or designated area marked off around the door, and not just an outside door and a reserved chair.

We like the Lower Promenade cabins on R&S class ships, and I believe having the outside door would be a plus.

I'm so surprised that since the initial cruise immediately after dry dock we've heard so little about those cabins and how well people are liking them.

Did anyone mention to the lovely ladies they were blocking passage by walkers? If not....... hmmmm

They deck is meant to be shared by all and no one should make it impossible for others to enjoy it IMO

Thanks for all the responses.

We are walkers and enjoy walking Promendade Deck. We won't be shy if someone make sit impossible to walk the deck. :eek:

I didn't say anything to them. I just walked around them. Considering the number of new cruisers on board, I would not be surprised if the 2 gals were first-timers. To me, it was just another example of lack of etiquette on board ship.

I'm so surprised that since the initial cruise immediately after dry dock we've heard so little about those cabins and how well people are liking them.

Me too, and since I have one reserved, I'd love it if people who have had them would just come and give us a review.

I'm eager to hear the early reports of Veendam's Bermuda cruises. Many have asked for this for a long time and I hope they are now excited about having the chance to book it. We have not yet booked but have already booked our annual Canada/New England on Maasdam for next year. We'll wait to see about Bermuda..... if they are any cabins left by then. :)

Hi Sail, we booked the Montreal to Boston on Maasdam for next August. I have wanted to get on that ship since we loved Veendam and you have raved about Maasdam. We originally had booked Bermuda but canceled because we have been there and DH thought the itinerary too boring (several of the ports in Canada/New England will be new for him. I have not been to PEI or Sydney and love Bar Harbor). Hopefully we will finally meet :)

I'm intrigued. After booking my first cruise in 14 years, I've enjoyed being able to read and learn so much about cruising here. I'm a people watcher by nature, and my "brutally sarcastic banter" (so I've been told) makes even the worst offenders a laughable affair. Plus, being able to just walk out and wander on deck seems cool. Looking forward to more opinions and reviews of others' experiences.

I was just thinking the same thing. Several people who booked them early on "promised" to come report on whether they liked them or not...the pros and cons. So far, I've read nothing except from a CC Host who posted her impressions on her "Live From" thread.

I'm off to see if I can uncover anything in the Review threads!

Hi Sail, we booked the Montreal to Boston on Maasdam for next August. I have wanted to get on that ship since we loved Veendam and you have raved about Maasdam. We originally had booked Bermuda but canceled because we have been there and DH thought the itinerary too boring (several of the ports in Canada/New England will be new for him. I have not been to PEI or Sydney and love Bar Harbor). Hopefully we will finally meet :)

Jade..... that's great. Looking forward to meeting you and your DH, as well.

Charlottetown, PEI is a lovely port. We're not as crazy about Sydney as some others but there are some interesting tours. We are doing Maasdam's seven day Boston to Boston in a few weeks though we already did our annual Boston - Montreal - Boston this June.

Archived