Nieuw Amsterdam's Dedication/Naming?

sail7seas

Sources tell us that Capt. Henk Keijer, currently famous for commanding the WESTERDAM will bring out the NIEUW AMSTERDAM, then be relieved by Captain van der Snoet, I mean Capt. van Zaane, who is on and off the WESTERDAM learning the intricacies of the bigger HAL ships. He was since her debut in the AMSTERDAM, and his other nickname is "Flagship Ed". It's not a compliment. Don't look to socialize with this guy, he's not usually interested - didn't even host all of the Captain's Table dinners he was slated to host on the atrocious Grand World Voyage 2007.

I got a HUGE chuckle from your post since I have sailed many times with Captain van Zaane and the "lovely Apollonia." The scuttlebut on the World Cruise roll call board backs up your claim.

Now, to be perfectly honest, Captain van Zaane is not that bad - he is not the most sociable of the Captains but I have exchanged a few pleasantries with him from time to time and found him quite approachable. One other thing I will say about him is that if you are on a GWV he will greet you at the gangplank, shake your hand and welcome you aboard (of course you are paying through the nose for this cruise so that is understandable:rolleyes:). His wife, Appolonia, on the other hand is extremely approachable and exudes charm - hate that she is so gorgeous though since I hate feeling inferior;).

I'm booked for this year's Grand Australia/New Zealand cruise on the ms Amsterdam and have found out that our Captain will be Fred Everson - know nothing about him, but I'm sure that I will have a great cruise. Will miss the van Zaanes though.

Thanks again for a great laugh, and I do know whereof you speak!

Valerie:D

p.s. I just noted that you mentioned the 2007 GWV - I was on that cruise only from Fort Lauderdale to Hong Kong so I wasn't invited to dine with the Captain but with the First Officer instead - I guess I got the better table! Also: Henk Keijer - my late husband and I dined with Henk when he was First Officer aboard the ms Ryndam and what a lovely man he is. I was thrilled for him when I heard that he had been promoted - it was certainly well deserved.

Don't look to socialize with this guy, he's not usually interested - didn't even host all of the Captain's Table dinners he was slated to host on the atrocious Grand World Voyage 2007.
That's funny! The link that I posted in #48 says:

Mariners seem to enjoy meeting the Captain and Apollonia almost as much as the Captain and his wife enjoy meeting Mariners. As the Captain puts it, "It is always a joy to recognize familiar faces, and we love the valuable stories guests have to share about their own journeys." In fact, the witnesses to their marriage were Mariners, and many other Mariners have become close friends over the years.

Ah, spin doctors! :)

Mariners seem to enjoy meeting the Captain and Apollonia almost as much as the Captain and his wife enjoy meeting Mariners. As the Captain puts it, "It is always a joy to recognize familiar faces, and we love the valuable stories guests have to share about their own journeys." In fact, the witnesses to their marriage were Mariners, and many other Mariners have become close friends over the years.

:confused::confused:

That's known as "hype" and I'm sure that Apollonia does enjoy recognizing familiar faces, she is very outgoing and friendly. The Captain, on the other hand is much more reserved. It's not that he isn't friendly and he probably enjoys reunions but he is just much quieter and not as outgoing. If you engage him in conversation he is extremely personable but you have to be the one to initiate the conversation. On the other hand, Apollonia will come up to you and say "Oh how wonderful to see you again".

Valerie:)

Ah, spin doctors! :)

Sorry but we also have sailed with the captain and his wife, and they are charming.He was the captain of the Amsterdam, and will be bringing the new ship out. Do not believe everything you hear . He was very visable and warm. Happy sailing Alsas

Sorry but we also have sailed with the captain and his wife, and they are charming.He was the captain of the Amsterdam, and will be bringing the new ship out. Do not believe everything you hear . He was very visable and warm. Happy sailing Alsas
I don't know the man ... I was just amused by the contrast in the descriptions of him.

I have had the privilege of sailing with Captain van Zaane three times, the first being on an Alaska cruise aboard the Rotterdam V and then twice aboard the Amsterdam. He is quite reserved, yet friendly when one approaches him. Highly competent! There were a couple of times during the 2008 GWV that I wondered how in the world he was going to be able to dock the Amsterdam in the space alloted. He "slid" her right in! At one port, the bow was just a few yards from the stern of another ship while one could stand on deck at our stern and throw a baseball that would have hit the breakwater.

Dan, I hope you have a great Inaugural cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam...please come back and tell us about your cruise...hopefully it will be a better experience than the inaugural on the Eurodam.

An inaugural cruise sounds exciting overall, but after hearing the experiences of many CC'ers whose judgement I trust implicitly, those who have weighed in here...and others who have not yet...I'll stick with a known entity...and with what I've learned from them.

No plans to go on the Nieuw Amsterdam yet....I had just mentioned that I thought an inaugural cruise if I had the chance to go would be cool.

Just looking forward to going back on the Eurodam here as we will be in our first SA suite ever.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cant wait.

Dan

We did not really expect to love Eurodam and went more out of curiousity to see the new ship, it was the right date, availability, blah blah blah.

We went back-to-back last March and loved it so much we have rebooked another b-to-b for 2010.

We think she's far more beautiful than we expected and really love some things about her..... including a wonderful crew.

Archived