Travelers checks

ptcellen

I have cashed thousands of dollars of these on X in the past and never been charged a cent. I can't imagine Azamara would be any different. I just wish I could find someplace that still sold them here. No one does anymore.

Would personally recommend that you check out "Travel Money" on the AAA website. This is a very convenient and safe way to carry money abroad. It is a pre-loaded debit card that works essentially in any ATM World-Wide ( I've been using it since 2005 and have never had it not work anywhere). You do get the best exchange rate, and the maximum liability it the amount on the card since it isn't linked to any bank account. If you lose it or have it stolen and you make the call, it has the same protections as any VISA card to my understanding.

This has worked very well for me and is, IMHO, a much better way to go than Traveler's Checks. Info here:

https://www.aaamyaccount.com/index.cfm

Hope that's useful.

Would personally recommend that you check out "Travel Money" on the AAA website. This is a very convenient and safe way to carry money abroad. It is a pre-loaded debit card that works essentially in any ATM World-Wide ( I've been using it since 2005 and have never had it not work anywhere). You do get the best exchange rate, and the maximum liability it the amount on the card since it isn't linked to any bank account. If you lose it or have it stolen and you make the call, it has the same protections as any VISA card to my understanding.

This has worked very well for me and is, IMHO, a much better way to go than Traveler's Checks. Info here:

https://www.aaamyaccount.com/index.cfm

Hope that's useful.

Okay, I am in Thailand (or Paris or LA) and I lose my AmEx traveler's checks. I go to an AmEx office and they give me more. What happens when I lose this ATM card? Do I go someplace and they instantly replace it? That's the only reason I haven't used it. I want something that guarantees me immediate help if I lose it or it is stolen.

My understanding is that it is just like losing a credit card: you go to a Visa outlet ( Bank), report the loss and they take it from there. I can't guarantee you that you will get an instant bail-out, I've never lost my card, but I can guarantee you that there are places, particularly in Europe, where cashing an AMEX check can be a problem, even at the authorized bank. And even when the check is in local currency-- that experience I have had.

I don't think any system is fool-proof, and we all know that any system can screw up. But this certainly is a very easy way to carry cash without hassles.

Hi Ed,

Thank you for all the information on the AAA travel card. This is something we will look into. I also wanted to let you know, on your recommendation, we hired Joel Berman in Israel. I'll let you know how it turned out after we come back from our cruise(holyland, Nov.8) Thanks again for all your help.:)

Ellen

My understanding is that it is just like losing a credit card: you go to a Visa outlet ( Bank), report the loss and they take it from there. I can't guarantee you that you will get an instant bail-out, I've never lost my card, but I can guarantee you that there are places, particularly in Europe, where cashing an AMEX check can be a problem, even at the authorized bank. And even when the check is in local currency-- that experience I have had.

I don't think any system is fool-proof, and we all know that any system can screw up. But this certainly is a very easy way to carry cash without hassles.

So why wouldn't I just use my own VISA card? I get miles on it (got two first classes round trips to Singapore for my Azamara cruise :D) if I won't be help in an emergency? I always carried traveler's checks (and would still if I could find them) because if lost they can be immediately replaced. Let's say I have my wallet stolen in Paris. With this card (or any of mine) I am out of luck until I get home. With traveler's checks I go to an AmEx office and they give me new ones. Vacation continues with the minor discomfort of losing some time to get the new ones. And I have never had a problem cashing a traveler's check on a ship. Cruise lines have always been very accommodating and we just plan well enough that we get enough local currency (never had a problem getting Euros, Romanian Banis, Ukranian (not sure what their currency was) or Turkish lira either) from the purser onboard.

Please understand, I am not trying to be argumentative but I was really disappointed when AAA and my bank stopped carrying traveler's checks. I still have not found anything that is a good source of emergency money like they were.

So why wouldn't I just use my own VISA card? I get miles on it (got two first classes round trips to Singapore for my Azamara cruise :D) if I won't be help in an emergency? I always carried traveler's checks (and would still if I could find them) because if lost they can be immediately replaced. Let's say I have my wallet stolen in Paris. With this card (or any of mine) I am out of luck until I get home. With traveler's checks I go to an AmEx office and they give me new ones. Vacation continues with the minor discomfort of losing some time to get the new ones. And I have never had a problem cashing a traveler's check on a ship. Cruise lines have always been very accommodating and we just plan well enough that we get enough local currency (never had a problem getting Euros, Romanian Banis, Ukranian (not sure what their currency was) or Turkish lira either) from the purser onboard.

Please understand, I am not trying to be argumentative but I was really disappointed when AAA and my bank stopped carrying traveler's checks. I still have not found anything that is a good source of emergency money like they were.

Your VISA may be linked to your bank account and could compromise your personal security. The AAA Travel Money card really isn't linked to anything except what you've put on it. Losing it does not compromise your personal security.

I suspect that the reason that Travelers Checks are not as readily available or used as they once were is that it can be difficult to use them off of the ship.

Whatever works for you is fine.

Does any one know if I have Euro travel checks will they cash them at no charge and give me Euros? I have never been charged for US $ encashments. I have some left over Euro tcs from a trip abroad last year and was wondering if I could use them for shore based money this year

Does any one know if I have Euro travel checks will they cash them at no charge and give me Euros? I have never been charged for US $ encashments. I have some left over Euro tcs from a trip abroad last year and was wondering if I could use them for shore based money this year

I did that on Celebrity a few years ago (straight exchange from Euro TC's to Euro cash) ... but we didn't take TC's on our Azamara cruise. Hopefully Azamara's policy is the same as Celebrity's and you can use your Euro TC's.

Okay, I am in Thailand (or Paris or LA) and I lose my AmEx traveler's checks. I go to an AmEx office and they give me more. What happens when I lose this ATM card? Do I go someplace and they instantly replace it? That's the only reason I haven't used it. I want something that guarantees me immediate help if I lose it or it is stolen.

And that very thing happened to us. As we were living out of the country, it took three weeks to receive the replacement card.

greenegg - as bellebaby says, search for website. We (in uk) used to have a book listing all the Amex travel offices and their agents where we could change cheques free of charge. There must be Amex offices in the US where they can be bought or the webside should tell you which banks sell them. Although we do still occasionally use them we tend to rely on bank cards (visa etc) but make sure we take a couple of different ones in case of problems. Good luck.

I did that on Celebrity a few years ago (straight exchange from Euro TC's to Euro cash) ... but we didn't take TC's on our Azamara cruise. Hopefully Azamara's policy is the same as Celebrity's and you can use your Euro TC's.

Thanks Susan that helps with the final planning

greenegg - as bellebaby says, search for website. We (in uk) used to have a book listing all the Amex travel offices and their agents where we could change cheques free of charge. There must be Amex offices in the US where they can be bought or the webside should tell you which banks sell them. Although we do still occasionally use them we tend to rely on bank cards (visa etc) but make sure we take a couple of different ones in case of problems. Good luck.

Thank you. At present, I find the pre-loaded ATM card much easier to use and much less restricted.

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I am able to get free US denomination travelers cheques from my local bank. So am I right in gathering from what I have read here that I can cash these onboard with no fees?

Does anyone have experience on Azamara with TCs in euros?

Archived