$100 Deposits, Potential Pitfalls?

Tikibird

One thing I am noticing is a trend among online TAs. The ones who offer a $100 deposit seem to charge your credit card on their account and then hopefully forward the money to Princess.

The ones who charge on Princess direct don't seem to be offering the reduced deposit.

Are there any potential pitfalls to look out for other than the obvious one of TA going out of business?

What happens if you book with an agent and they go out of business and you paid $200 deposit and the balance due 75-90 (varies per agency) days before the cruise?

At what point can you be sure Princess has your deposit at least?

I would never use a TA that does not directly forward your charge to Princess regardless of the deposit ammount.. Mine just finished with her $100 deposit special and I booked a cruise for our family of 8. All deposits were sent directly to Princess..

One thing I am noticing is a trend among online TAs. The ones who offer a $100 deposit seem to charge your credit card on their account and then hopefully forward the money to Princess.

The ones who charge on Princess direct don't seem to be offering the reduced deposit.

Are there any potential pitfalls to look out for other than the obvious one of TA going out of business?

What happens if you book with an agent and they go out of business and you paid $200 deposit and the balance due 75-90 (varies per agency) days before the cruise?

At what point can you be sure Princess has your deposit at least?

First I wouldn't use a TA that doesn't have Princess charge you for your deposit directly. Even with the reduced deposit sale they should be having Princess put through the charge. But if you do book with a TA that puts through the charge themselves you can be sure Princess has it if your booking isn't canceled in a few days. Princess will usually hold a cabin for 72 hours if requested and then it goes back into the pool. So if you can see your booking on the Princess site a week after you were charged for your deposit, Princess most likely has your deposit.

I agree with Largin on this one. I will also not book with a TA that doesn't bill my deposit or final payment directly to Princess.

Lots of good TA's out there and many run the $100 special at different times throughout the year. Keep looking! ;)

The ones that charge Princess direct don't honor the $100.00 deposit? That doesn't sound right. The cruise line sets the amount of the deposit so the t.a. should not be asking for a larger deposit. I would never deal with a t.a. that works that way. When you do give your deposit make sure you get the cruise line's booking confirmation #. That way you can go the cruise line's website and make sure booking was made correctly. When my t.a. emails me my invoice that booking # always shows.

The ones that charge Princess direct don't honor the $100.00 deposit? That doesn't sound right. The cruise line sets the amount of the deposit so the t.a. should not be asking for a larger deposit. I would never deal with a t.a. that works that way. When you do give your deposit make sure you get the cruise line's booking confirmation #. That way you can go the cruise line's website and make sure booking was made correctly. When my t.a. emails me my invoice that booking # always shows.

Often times TA's will run a lowered deposit special. Not all TA's do this at the same time. The normal deposit is 20% but if you can find one running this special, you don't have to tie up as many funds as normally. So, it actually doesn't have anything to do with them honoring the lowered deposit special if charged directly to Princess. ;)

How do you know before choosing a TA if they send the deposit right to Princess?

Some agencies have the credit card charged by Princess.

It's now almost 8pm Saturday over there so I can't even call them until Monday your time.

I have 4 front-runners for a Coral Princess Panama Canal port taxes included. #1 & #3 are "competing" for my business. #2 I found on Google and has good reviews. #4 was recommended by a satisified customer and gets good reviews. Names of agencies deleted as per CC rules:

1. $2975 plus $75 OBC, deposit $580

Fully licensed, bonded and insured, xxxxxxxxxx is a member of the Better Business Bureau. We participate in BBBOnLine and proudly display the BBB Reliability Seal on our website. This seal confirms we are a member of our local Better Business Bureau, have been reviewed to meet truth in advertisement guidelines and follow good customer service practices on the Internet. We are proud members of the Cruise Line Industry Association (CLIA) and the International Airlines Travel Agent Network (IATAN). Let us earn your business!

2. $3078 $200 deposit, they have a OBC & coupon book on their website but website shows it was valid Aug 10-14 so not sure if I can still get it.

Members of the Better Business Bureau, CLIA and NACOA.

xxxxxxxx has been in business over twelve years

and is a registered and bonded agency with

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).

3. $2968 plus coupon book, deposit $210

Over a Decade of dedicated service in the travel industry Registered, Licensed Sellers of Travel located in Orlando, Florida Licensed in both Florida and California (only states currently requiring it) Ranked in the TOP 1% of Cruise Agencies in the Nation because of our volume, which means lower prices & more amenities for you! Frommers and MSNBC named xxxxxxxxx one of the top 15 cruise brokers in the US. $1,000,000.00 of Consumer Protection liability insurance Maintain both Operating & Escrow Accounts Members of ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) Members of CLIA (Cruise Line International Association)

4. $3036 $60 OBC deposit $580

Member of IATA, ARC, IATAN, can't find BBB or CLIA details.

Online only, no phone but gets good reviews on other sites.

OK, I did a dummy booking up to payment screen for #1. They have Princess charge the credit card.

* We are one of the World's Largest Retail and Internet cruise-only agencies - recognized as a top seller by all the major cruise lines!

* We have booked over 40,000 satisfied clients just in the past year!

* We are a cruise only agency. Cruises are our ONLY business!

* We are member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau.

* We provide the lowest prices without sacrificing service - just ask our clients!

* We are licensed, bonded and regulated by the State of Florida, which has one of the strictest Seller of Travel licensing requirements in the US.

* We carry a $5,000,000 Errors and Omissions liability insurance policy.

* For your protection, you are charged directly by the Cruise Lines and receive a booking confirmation number generated by them for verification.

They have a $100 cancellation fee after 3 days grace period of booking. It is extremely unlikely that we would cancel unless we aren't on the planet anymore.

First cabin change is free from fees, otherwise $25 per occurrence plus cruise line fees. This could happen if they started selling balconies dirt cheap on the same Baja deck, but it is pretty unlikely that Baja balconies would be going for $1297 USD pp plus port charges.

Price reduction policy:

If the cruise line lowers the cost of your cruise, rate adjustments may be available until your final payment due date. This policy varies by cruise line, with Norwegian & Holland America Cruise Lines having a variety of rules and exclusions regarding this issue. However, except for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & Azamara Cruise Lines, rate adjustments are not available after your final payment or final payment due date, whichever comes first. The lower rate must be available for booking at the time you contact us by phone, as determined by our customer service representatives, and you must qualify for the rate. xxxxxxx will not accept voice mail, emails, faxes or screenshots or other purported evidence of a lower price. If the cruise line determines that a rate adjustment is applicable, your FIRST rate adjustment is exempt from any rate adjustment change fee. However, each subsequent rate adjustment, if applicable, will be assessed a $25 per booking rate adjustment, per occurrence.

I will try to get as much as I can on Google about this agency but I think the special expires on 15 Aug midnight (less than 3 hours). I don't have a lot of time and what is unique is that ONLY the category I want JJ has the super good deals on.

For what it's worth, our TA mentioned once that Princess gives her a small number of one-week reduced deposit sales per year, and she gets to decide when to use them.

And Princess has always charged our card directly.

OK, I did a dummy booking up to payment screen for #1. They have Princess charge the credit card.

They have a $100 cancellation fee after 3 days grace period of booking. It is extremely unlikely that we would cancel unless we aren't on the planet anymore.

First cabin change is free from fees, otherwise $25 per occurrence plus cruise line fees. This could happen if they started selling balconies dirt cheap on the same Baja deck, but it is pretty unlikely that Baja balconies would be going for $1297 USD pp plus port charges.

Price reduction policy:

If the cruise line lowers the cost of your cruise, rate adjustments may be available until your final payment due date. This policy varies by cruise line, with Norwegian & Holland America Cruise Lines having a variety of rules and exclusions regarding this issue. However, except for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & Azamara Cruise Lines, rate adjustments are not available after your final payment or final payment due date, whichever comes first. The lower rate must be available for booking at the time you contact us by phone, as determined by our customer service representatives, and you must qualify for the rate. xxxxxxx will not accept voice mail, emails, faxes or screenshots or other purported evidence of a lower price. If the cruise line determines that a rate adjustment is applicable, your FIRST rate adjustment is exempt from any rate adjustment change fee. However, each subsequent rate adjustment, if applicable, will be assessed a $25 per booking rate adjustment, per occurrence.

I will try to get as much as I can on Google about this agency but I think the special expires on 15 Aug midnight (less than 3 hours). I don't have a lot of time and what is unique is that ONLY the category I want JJ has the super good deals on.

A good TA won't have all those bogus fees either. :eek:

Difference in price between this agency and the cheapest no-fee cxl/change agency is $60 per person.

So I am basically gambling a cheaper fare against losing $100 if we cancel. In 25 years of world travel, I have NEVER cancelled a trip. I have had flights cancelled and been stranded for a day but I have never had a life occurence which would cause me to cancel.

On Google, the worst thing I can find about this agency is complaints against the cancellation fee--because the people cancelled.

Difference in price between this agency and the cheapest no-fee cxl/change agency is $60 per person.

So I am basically gambling a cheaper fare against losing $100 if we cancel. In 25 years of world travel, I have NEVER cancelled a trip. I have had flights cancelled and been stranded for a day but I have never had a life occurence which would cause me to cancel.

On Google, the worst thing I can find about this agency is complaints against the cancellation fee--because the people cancelled.

If they have to obtain profits from fees like that you should take your business elswhere.

That shows me they are not very confident in their business practices.

Agencies hold Princess sales which offer reduced deposits. Just booked a 12 night Royal Princess Owner's suite.. there was a Princess Cruise sale with the particular agency. deposit.. only $200.

If you are doing an online booking, the deposit goes directly to Princess Cruises.

However, you may have difficulty getting your credit card accepted with your AUS address as the online system is set up only for North American addresses.

If they have to obtain profits from fees like that you should take your business elswhere.

That shows me they are not very confident in their business practices.

That isn't necessarily true. Many of the larger on-line agencies who have the lowest prices charge fees. It's no big deal to pay a $100 cancellation fee for one out of 10 cruises if that agency has saved you thousands. Now if you are in the habit of booking and canceling all the time, then that's a different story.

That isn't necessarily true. Many of the larger on-line agencies who have the lowest prices charge fees. It's no big deal to pay a $100 cancellation fee for one out of 10 cruises if that agency has saved you thousands. Now if you are in the habit of booking and canceling all the time, then that's a different story.

Not cancelations but I will do price drops and I won't pay anyone to get one. :eek:

My TA does not charge for any of that and I still get great rates.

My fares are at least equal to those charging TA's and I have never paid a fee.

Ridiculous

Not cancelations but I will do price drops and I won't pay anyone to get one. :eek:

My TA does not charge for any of that and I still get great rates.

My fares are at least equal to those charging TA's and I have never paid a fee.

Ridiculous

Yep, same here. I would not book with any agent that charged fees for changes or even cancellations. Just not my way of booking a cruise. Too many great TA's out there that do not charge these fees. ;)

OK, I weighed up all the information I could find and logically went through it and chose #1.

For me, the difference in price between this agency and a no-fee agency (#4 on the list) meant that the no-fee agency was a guaranteed extra $100 spent whether we go or not. Agency #1's cancellation fee will only be an issue if we cancel which is highly unlikely.

Agency #1 also gives $15 more in OBC than Agency #4.

The agency saved us $744 over booking with Princess direct.

Archived