Tipping at European ports

HMSDingy

If you see the porter's as some do and some don't I would say in general a Euro or two per bag especially if they are large heavy bags..if they do anything else for you than what you feel would be right. Some will say not to tip,bit I have always thogut it a nice gesture,and this is JMHO.

The Spanish rarely tip and sometimes get grumpy when others do, claiming it is ruining the economy:confused: The most they will generally do is round up a cab fare or cafe bill. However we always tip about 10% for taxis and restaurants. On our last cruise out of Barcelona I tipped 3 or 4 Euros to the porters, but it was not expected and I certainly didn't see any Spaniards tipping. I did see a lot at reception queuing to take the auto tips off however!

In the same area, what would be an appropriate tip for cab driver, assuming fare from airport to hotel is about 25 euros and about the same from hotel to ship....Thanks

Here's some info on tipping in Spain. http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishlife/qt/tippinginspain.htm :)

For taxis coins, less than a euro per Rick Steves.

• 1 month later...
Here's some info on tipping in Spain. http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishlife/qt/tippinginspain.htm :)

For taxis coins, less than a euro per Rick Steves.

Thanks for the info. The currency trader we got our Euros from only started at 5 euro denominations. Anyone know how to convert USD to Euros or know of a site that shows what the coins, etc. are worth and what they look like so I know what I'm giving people? I looked and haven't had any luck. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the info. The currency trader we got our Euros from only started at 5 euro denominations. Anyone know how to convert USD to Euros or know of a site that shows what the coins, etc. are worth and what they look like so I know what I'm giving people? I looked and haven't had any luck. Thanks for the help!

This is a great site that will allow you to print out a small "cheat sheet" you can carry in your wallet:

http://www.oanda.com/channels/traveler/travelers.shtml

Also, if you have an iPhone, they have several applications for converting currency you can put right on your phone.

Google can also pull up pictures of coins:

http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/eurocoins/coins.asp

The Spanish rarely tip and sometimes get grumpy when others do, claiming it is ruining the economy:confused: The most they will generally do is round up a cab fare or cafe bill. However we always tip about 10% for taxis and restaurants. On our last cruise out of Barcelona I tipped 3 or 4 Euros to the porters, but it was not expected and I certainly didn't see any Spaniards tipping. I did see a lot at reception queuing to take the auto tips off however!

I'm with New Salt on this, tipping in Spain is not a common practice. I don't think we Americans should impose our culture to a different country. Afterall, we are traveling to experience the different culture. One of the reasons Spaniards don't tip is because it's added into the cost of service, the other reason is that the workers' salaries are higher than that of the Americans, often twice as high as the equivalent of the American wage.

So if you insist on tipping, do what you are comfortable with. But as a rule, it is not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Voyager. We took an RCI shuttle to the airport where the driver announced that porters would help with bags at 2.50 per bag. We took our own in! Also, we tipped our guide in Barcelona according to some suggestions on this site $12 for a 4 hour tour (2 people) and he was insulted. Other people said it should be $10 per person. Just for your info.

Archived