Suggestions for things to pack for NZ in February

robinph

:)Hi all,

would appreciate any suggestions on what sort of clothing to pack for NZ in February am finding it quite confusing as it will be middle of summer here in Australia and every thing I have read here on the forum and other places suggests that it can be quite cool in NZ. My DH refuses to listen to me when I say he will need some warm clothes saying that it is February it will be hot. I was thinking along the lines that it would be warm going to cool for the first 2 days at sea then Fiordlands would be cold (trackies and Scarf weather) Dunedin cool, and warming up as we sail further up the east coast I believe Wellington is very windy but is it cold.? our other ports are Napier, Tauranga (we will be going to Rotorua does it get hot there?), Auckland and Bay of Islands (will we be able to swim there) was wondering how much of a workout the cossies are going to get on this cruise. the last 2 sea days heading back to Sydney should start to warm up again. Hope it is not cold the whole time. Dont want to be carrying coats around with us if we can help it ,thought layers would be the way to go and have purchased nylon wind jackets with hood hoping this would be sufficient.

thanks for any info. Robin:)

Be prepare for anything!! Take clothes that you can layer., We did NZ in Feb/March and the worst port was our home town Melbourne!! It was a terrible day and the winds were blowing a gale. The day we went through the Sounds was the most amazingly wonderful day and we were in tea shirts. I can only suggest that you have a good waterproof jacket to get you through the cold days and NZ is a bit like Melbourne, fantastic one day, awful the next.

I was wondering about this too, and going on my research, I think lizzy77 is correct. I saw a You tube video of the Diamond Princess promenade deck in December, in Milford Sound, and it was blowing a gale and very overcast, and not a person in sight on this deck. I have decided it is best to be prepared, so am taking one thick jacket (parka) with me. If it is cold as I suspect, in the South Island, then I will be recognisable as the lady that wears the blue parka every day..... We have to catch a plane back home from Auckland so I will carry it onboard both ship and plane.

What else can a lady do!!

Cheers, Jen

:)Hi all,

would appreciate any suggestions on what sort of clothing to pack for NZ in February am finding it quite confusing as it will be middle of summer here in Australia and every thing I have read here on the forum and other places suggests that it can be quite cool in NZ. My DH refuses to listen to me when I say he will need some warm clothes saying that it is February it will be hot. I was thinking along the lines that it would be warm going to cool for the first 2 days at sea then Fiordlands would be cold (trackies and Scarf weather) Dunedin cool, and warming up as we sail further up the east coast I believe Wellington is very windy but is it cold.? our other ports are Napier, Tauranga (we will be going to Rotorua does it get hot there?), Auckland and Bay of Islands (will we be able to swim there) was wondering how much of a workout the cossies are going to get on this cruise. the last 2 sea days heading back to Sydney should start to warm up again. Hope it is not cold the whole time. Dont want to be carrying coats around with us if we can help it ,thought layers would be the way to go and have purchased nylon wind jackets with hood hoping this would be sufficient.

thanks for any info. Robin:)

We were on a land tour last year in February and thought just like your DH. So after spending 8 lovely days on the north island we travelled over to the south. Landed in Picton and then went to Blenhiem. By this stage we were half frozen to death. (We come from the Sunshine Coast in Qld which didn't help) Went to the department store there and proceeded to spend $550 on clothes. Everything from jackets, jumpers, long pants, long sleeve T's, even joggers and socks and tracksuits. We lived in these for the next two weeks. So be prepared in the south island, it is COLD.

Enjoy your holiday in NZ. It is awesome. To truly appreciate NZ however, you need to spend more than a day here and there. It is well worth doing a land tour for a few weeks minimum

It’s not going to be all that cool in NZ in February (More likely wet or very dry, warm)

I would take a jumper & a rain/wind jacket, which you may need if you’re going to Fiordland National Park (Even if you not, it could be a good idea to take those any way & maybe some long pants)

When we went to Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin and Fiordland National Park in December 2008

I had a jumper / jacket on was when we where in the Fiordland National Park and I had a jumper on in Christchurch and I had a jacket on in Picton (but that was because in was raining)

I think the only time I wanted a jumper was in the afternoon in Napier, as the wind pick up & it was cool, as we where waiting to get on the ship.

This was all in December, so I would think it would be a lot nicer in February.

Hope this helps :)

We did a land trip to North Island at the end of January this year, Tauranga, Auckland, Rotorua etc and the weather was magnificent. Around 27 degrees every day, which is really hot in NZ. Maybe we were just lucky, but I think North Island would be hot and South would be colder so you still need a mix of clothes.

I was wondering about this too, and going on my research, I think lizzy77 is correct. I saw a You tube video of the Diamond Princess promenade deck in December, in Milford Sound, and it was blowing a gale and very overcast, and not a person in sight on this deck. I have decided it is best to be prepared, so am taking one thick jacket (parka) with me. If it is cold as I suspect, in the South Island, then I will be recognisable as the lady that wears the blue parka every day..... We have to catch a plane back home from Auckland so I will carry it onboard both ship and plane.

What else can a lady do!!

Cheers, Jen

Jen we had a similar day in the sounds on our Easter Sapphire Princess cruise. It was terrible weather, wet and windy BUT the decks were full. We just had to be out there and see it. It was magical. I can only imagine what it is like in good weather. The rain did make some great waterfalls though.

I can also relate to the "lady in the blue coat" we did a month in Italy , a week in paris and 2 weeks in england during Decembe/ January a few years back (winter there) and nearly every photo we look the same in our coats. It was a great time to travel though as it is our summer holiday here giving us more time to travel and to see family and other countries in the winter for christmas.

To the OP, as most will say, take layers. A wind cheater, weather proof type of jacket that can fold up small will be great to pack into your bag when ashore plus track fleecy type jacket would be useful.

Swimmers take up little room so pack a pair. some of the bigger American ships (do not know which ship you are on) have indoor pools and spas which are nice if the weather is not so good.

Good walking shoes are also a must.

From what you all have said, I guess I should take one of everything for our 12-day cruise from Sydney to Auckland...coats, shorts, walking shoes, boots, sweaters, swimsuits...whatever will fit in the bag. I'm putting good thoughts forward that December 10 will be the beginning of unseasonable fair weather for the entire cruise. (This is a new website for me and it's GREAT!) Anyone have a suggestion on what's best to see in Melbourne (in one day) and Christchurch (in one day)? :)

From what you all have said, I guess I should take one of everything for our 12-day cruise from Sydney to Auckland...coats, shorts, walking shoes, boots, sweaters, swimsuits...whatever will fit in the bag. I'm putting good thoughts forward that December 10 will be the beginning of unseasonable fair weather for the entire cruise. (This is a new website for me and it's GREAT!) Anyone have a suggestion on what's best to see in Melbourne (in one day) and Christchurch (in one day)? :)

Welcome to CC. Keep those 'good thoughts' coming as I'm on the same cruise. - To join our roll call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=958077&page=24

so you'll get some info there about the ports and what the others are doing.

Thanks everyone else for the clothing advice - don't like the cold and it could be 40 degrees here before we leave! Have only been to Wellington when our son lived there and I found that 'cold' in summer.

Vera

We did a N.Z cruise in Feb this year.....thinking that being from Brisbane we would probably freeze to death made sure i packed a pair of jeans for each of us...a jumper for DH and a cardigan for me......i also packed the padded hooded jackets we bought on the Rhapsody of the Seas........other than that didn't really need heavy clothing we were very lucky with the temperatures and by the time we got to Tauranga it was quite warm....a lot of pax didn't pack anything heavier than a cardigan and the windchill in the fjordlands forced them indoors....we stayed out all day taking in the fantastic scenery.... the temperature in the ship was adjusted as we headed southwards so it was never really cold inside the ship.... the clothes shopping in N.Z is brilliant ... good excuse for a splurge if you're cold........cheers shiona

2077636800102418569S425x425Q85.jpg

Welcome to CC!

I have started a thread on tour ideas for Melbourne:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1017396

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! :)

Jen - are you allowed on here to say which airline allowed you 30kg? I know most don't give you more than 23kg. I know you can't name travel agents, but I would imagine airlines would be fine?

Our cruise is for 2 weeks and as you say you need all kinds of clothes so definitely need that extra baggage allowance! And no laundries (other than the service which for 2 of us plus 3 kids is too expensive) on Rhapsody so need to take lots....

Jen - are you allowed on here to say which airline allowed you 30kg? I know most don't give you more than 23kg. I know you can't name travel agents, but I would imagine airlines would be fine?

Our cruise is for 2 weeks and as you say you need all kinds of clothes so definitely need that extra baggage allowance! And no laundries (other than the service which for 2 of us plus 3 kids is too expensive) on Rhapsody so need to take lots....

Hi,

Think I am allowed to say, so here goes. Booked with Emirates, Auckland to Sydney for $130 AU. Its the A380 airbus...nice. Includes 3 course meal and some new TV thing. Booked direct with them not through an agent. Very happy with price.

Cheers Jen

Wow that's an unbelievable price Jen! We flew Melbourne to Auckland last year for a land trip and paid much more, even one way.

Doesnt help though, as we just need Melbourne - Sydney. Probably best just to book Qantas and pay the slightly higher price as the other airlines charge extra for baggage, and waaay extra for over 20kg.

Cheers

Caron

Perhaps to cut down on luggage weight, I was going to suggest wearing a jacket on the flight? Noticed you are from Melbourne too so with Melbourne weather, jackets are something we are used to!

For Qantas domestic flights for economy, there is no limit for number of pieces, but weight limit is 23kg.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en#jump0

Perhaps to cut down on luggage weight, I was going to suggest wearing a jacket on the flight? Noticed you are from Melbourne too so with Melbourne weather, jackets are something we are used to!

For Qantas domestic flights for economy, there is no limit for number of pieces, but weight limit is 23kg.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en#jump0

I guess I really should be able to fit what I need into 23 kg, but will look at booking Qantas as my experience is that they are pretty flexible with a kilo or 2 overweight. Virgin and Tiger will charge extra for every kilo no exceptions. Even with a good special once you have paid luggage charges its pretty much the same price as Qantas anyway.

We'll fix that :D

You'll need jandals, tramping gear, fush 'n chups and a few steinies ..........

Oh and you can leave all your vowels at home ;)

Cheers

Clive with tongue planted firmly in cheek :p

Hi Shiona - love the photo you look really snug in that jacket! I think I'll take the one I bought for Alaska with a removable lining and hood. You must be looking forward to your next cruise nice and warm. Vera

Hey Vera nice to hear from you... our jackets were Alaskan leftovers we bought 2for1 on the Rhapsody...got our moneys worth......definately worth packing even if you only use it in fjordlands i had a tshirt and 3/4 pants on under and was lovely and warm...........not packing them for the next cruise though.......only packing sarongs and swimmers....and of course the odd beaded formal dress....lol........:D;):D cheers Shiona

We'll fix that :D

You'll need jandals, tramping gear, fush 'n chups and a few steinies ..........

Oh and you can leave all your vowels at home ;)

Cheers

Clive with tongue planted firmly in cheek :p

lol just like the weather today in sydney,as i am a kiwi as these ozzies say....pack some warm clothes,and some summer clothes,as you be on board most of the time...dont over pack becasue we did for our 3 day cruise and only needed half of it...

matt

lol just like the weather today in sydney,as i am a kiwi as these ozzies say....pack some warm clothes,and some summer clothes,as you be on board most of the time...dont over pack becasue we did for our 3 day cruise and only needed half of it...

matt

Matt, I never overpack, well, just about never. The reason I like carrying a large suitcase is for all the goodies I buy along the way!

Shiona, great jacket....will add one of these to my list too! Now, have I just contradicted myself? Oh well!!

Cheers,

Jen:D

Matt, I never overpack, well, just about never. The reason I like carrying a large suitcase is for all the goodies I buy along the way!

Shiona, great jacket....will add one of these to my list too! Now, have I just contradicted myself? Oh well!!

Cheers,

Jen:D

i am the same when i go back home to nz,bring back goodies to eat...yum

matt

Archived