Evening dress style - different on the EPIC?

Beanie01

I've never sailed NCL, but am excited about sailing on the EPIC 9/2010.:D

I keep hearing about NCL being so casual. Does anyone think evening dress style may go up a notch on a ship like the EPIC? I got an excellent price ($599 for 7-day), but noticed that after our cruise, and going into 2011, the prices start at over $800. It seems to be attracting those who have never sailed NCL like myself.

I can't help but wonder will I stick out like a sore thumb if I wear a nice satin evening dress to dinner, or if I wear anything dressier than capris.

Curious about everyone's opinions, whether or not you've sailed NCL.

I've never sailed NCL, but am excited about sailing on the EPIC 9/2010.:D

I keep hearing about NCL being so casual. Does anyone think evening dress style may go up a notch on a ship like the EPIC? I got an excellent price ($599 for 7-day), but noticed that after our cruise, and going into 2011, the prices start at over $800. It seems to be attracting those who have never sailed NCL like myself.

I can't help but wonder will I stick out like a sore thumb if I wear a nice satin evening dress to dinner, or if I wear anything dressier than capris.

Curious about everyone's opinions, whether or not you've sailed NCL.

you should be fine, beanie. i think women have many more choices for dinner attire than men. i don't judge anyone on what they wear, however, DW and i do enjoy dressing up for dinner since we don't typically dine that was in our "normal" lives.

and on a ship of 4000 pax, i personally think it would be nice if there was a "minimum" dress code. but enforcement will always be a challenge.

you should be fine.

I assume they will keep the "Dress up or not" nights (a couple a cruise) so maybe you'd feel most comfortable donning the satin that night. Until very recently DH always took his tux along and we still do dress up a couple of times. Point is you have the choice, no dictates that say you must wear this or that on such and such a night. Other than no shorts in the DR and no jeans in one of the DR's, you're fine in capris or a cocktail dress - your choice.

Epic will be doing Caribbean runs so it's likely a more casual atmosphere will prevail. We were a little surprised on our Jade June Eur. trip to see people much more dressed up nearly every evening.

Pls let us know how your first NCL cruise goes. Just be prepared to relax and have fun!:D

Pls let us know how your first NCL cruise goes. Just be prepared to relax and have fun!:D

Definitely will relax and have fun, no matter what I'm wearing! I leave on my first Royal Carrib cruise (Liberty of the Seas) in 55 days! Now I won't have to worry about PTCD (post traumatic cruise depression) when I return, because I'll be thinking about the Epic!

I also like to dress up for Dinner. We are booked on the Epic 9/25/2010 and my husband and I will be dressing up for formal night- the little black dress and hubby will wear a suit - and smart casual for the off nights. This will be our first NCL cruise and I am looking forward to "Freestyle" dining. Hope you have a great cruise.:)

The best thing about NCL's dress code for our family is that we are all allowed to choose for ourselves. I love dressing for dinner (and making use of clothes that I otherwise don't get to wear much), my husband looks forward to getting out of his dress pants while he's away from the office, and my daughter dresses 'nicely' - at least well enough for school or church, but not usually quite as dressy as me. We all dress up on 'dress up or not' night and have pictures taken. My daughter graduated in January from 'pretty girl dresses' to her first official formal gown, and I always wear a formal for the first one as well. For the second, I usually wear a cocktail dress, but the other two don't get as dressed up as I do; I'm pretty sure my husband was wearing jeans that evening on the Pearl - we ate in the 'jeans-allowed MDR'. I actually don't know what to expect from my daughter this year or next, since she's in a bit of a transition between 'kid' and 'girl'... so if my genes are strong enough she might just be dressing up with me as often as possible (a mother can hope :)).

Anyway... my point is that I dress how I feel good and so do the rest of my family - and we all sit at the same table and we all feel quite comfortable doing so. I have never felt out of place in anything I've worn on NCL, and I believe my husband would say the same, even though we're on different ends of the acceptable spectrum (my husband's attire, while more casual than mine, is always within the scope of the published dress code). I'm never the only one in a formal gown, I'm never the only one in a cocktail dress, and I'm never the only one dressing for dinner any night of the cruise.

I'm very much looking forward to the Epic and enjoying wearing beautiful clothes in beautiful venues. I can completely understand why one might wonder if passengers would feel more inclined to dress up to enjoy such beautiful dining rooms and entertainment areas. I know I do... but then, I'm 'like that'... I think those that prefer not to dress up will always prefer not to dress up, and that's okay. I just agree with Zone about the enforcement; hopefully they'll be able to maintain the dress code standards in all the venues. :)

Canadian Twosome - glad to hear it! On my upcoming Liberty of the Seas cruise, I have 5 cocktail dresses I want to wear, and 2 maxi. I just kept finding these beautiful dresses at ridculously low prices, I couldn't resist! I'm really looking forward to wearing them!

I also like to dress up for Dinner. We are booked on the Epic 9/25/2010 and my husband and I will be dressing up for formal night- the little black dress and hubby will wear a suit - and smart casual for the off nights. This will be our first NCL cruise and I am looking forward to "Freestyle" dining. Hope you have a great cruise.:)

Cinfeb - Have you signed up on the roll call forum? My sister and I are on the same Epic cruise next year - 9/25!

hey CT...you stimulated some creative thought on my end...!!!

with all the various themes of restaurants (kinda like how they are now on the Pearl, Dawn...etc)

what if we dressed according to the theme?!?!?! could you imagine...dressing up as Al Capone or an old time gangster while dining at Cagney's? or if a women just so happened to have a kimono style dress for dining at Shogun. (of course the fellas might have to improvise...i'm not sure they sell "samurai" formal attire...hehehehe)

but that would be cool, huh?

oh wait...but then for the cirque du soleil restaurant??!?!! FORGET IT...i'm not putting on no leggings or bodysuits.

with all the various themes of restaurants (kinda like how they are now on the Pearl, Dawn...etc)

what if we dressed according to the theme?!?!?! could you imagine...dressing up as Al Capone or an old time gangster while dining at Cagney's? or if a women just so happened to have a kimono style dress for dining at Shogun. (of course the fellas might have to improvise...i'm not sure they sell "samurai" formal attire...hehehehe)

oh wait...but then for the cirque du soleil restaurant??!?!! FORGET IT...i'm not putting on no leggings or bodysuits.

C'mon, you know you want to! I'll wear a unitard!

You know what's really sad? As I was reading your post, assorted articles from my closet were popping into my head... old time glamour, kimono sleeves... no costumes per se, but certainly items that 'emulate' an assortment of styles, eras and environments... Of course, then you had to mention the Cirque... and I am definitely with you on the no bodysuits!! :p

You know what this means, don't you? I'm going to need extra packing space for the Epic!! Oooooh... and I've got a year to shop for 'theme-oriented' attire!!

Beanie, I think you and I have similar shopping habits... I mean... when it's that beautiful and that 'on sale', you simply can't afford to leave it in the store at that price!! :p If I can get a nice new dress or outfit for what I might otherwise spend on an evening out, is it so wrong to only wear it once? (not that I've ever done that, but it's a good argument, isn't it?)

Beanie, I think you and I have similar shopping habits... I mean... when it's that beautiful and that 'on sale', you simply can't afford to leave it in the store at that price!! :p If I can get a nice new dress or outfit for what I might otherwise spend on an evening out, is it so wrong to only wear it once? (not that I've ever done that, but it's a good argument, isn't it?)

We definitely do have similar shopping habits! I found 4 stretch satin fitted dresses earlier this year at Marshalls and Ross ranging from $19.00-$40.00. Two are Donna Ricco, two are Suzi Chin. These labels (and in some instances, the same exact dress!) sell at Nordstroms for $158! Also got a beautiful red drapy chiffon style dress for $23.00! Can't wait to wear them! It would be nice if I could wear them again when on the Epic.

We definitely do have similar shopping habits! I found 4 stretch satin fitted dresses earlier this year at Marshalls and Ross ranging from $19.00-$40.00. Two are Donna Ricco, two are Suzi Chin. These labels (and in some instances, the same exact dress!) sell at Nordstroms for $158! Also got a beautiful red drapy chiffon style dress for $23.00! Can't wait to wear them! It would be nice if I could wear them again when on the Epic.

Yes, you are definitely a girl after my own heart! Buy nice things for occasions, events, or simply because they're on sale... and then pack 'em all when you cruise!! :)

We are going on the NCL Gem in January...........I intend to pack and wear what I want to wear within the rules. That said....I have several nice semi dressy dresses that I love and will wear....but I don't give a flying fig if anyone else is wearing such things.....my dining experience is about "us" not everyone else. I can guarantee you that in a room full of different people cruising "freestyle"...you are going to get a room full of diversity and someone there...perhaps many people there will be dressed "just like you".

There were quite a few people really dressed up on the 'Dress up or not nights" on our cruise on the Jewel in April. Many ladies wore gowns or cocktail dresses and most people in the MDRs, at least, made an effort to dress up, some in true formal style, others just dressy.

I didn't see many tuxes, but a few ,and plenty of men in suits. The best was a young couple, he in full dress kilt and she in a gorgeous, very, very full bronze ball gown. They were just stunning.

There were also lots--more--people more casually dressed, but, for the most part, still looking nice, not sloppy.

Archived