Best Car Rental COmpany in Cannes?

alliecat7777

Hi all.

We're going on Celebrity Summit Venice - barcelona (aug 23) and will be stopping in Cannes. After reading so many amazing reviews from cc, i've decided to rent a car and drive to st Paul Vence, eze and possibly Nice.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for the best car rental company in Cannes so i can possibly reserve a car in advance.

Just to confirm:

1. the car rental sites are within 20 min walking distance from port?

2. no International drivers license is necessary?

thank you!

I always use Autoeurope unless there are issues with minimum rental times. They rent cars from Avis Hertz and Europcar all of which will have downtown (usually near the train station) locations.

Autoeurope gives customer service second to none and I wouldn't think of not trying them first.

No special Driver's license is needed in France. You will have no problems as long as you learn enough French to handle the signs. the longest one you need to recognize is "Nous n'est pas la priorite" found on signs at traffic circles to remind you that entering traffic does not have the right of way.

Most other signs can be figured out by their shapes and so forth.

Parking is controlled by meters called horodateurs which dispense tickets with the parking validity on them. Note most parking is free over the lunch period. This will be marked on the horodateur and you parking time will include any free time -say you park at 11 and pay for 2 hours you will find in general that your expiration time is 4 (1600 actually).

Bonne route

Hi, we were in Cannes on July 10th, 2009. We rented a car from Avis. They have 2 locations in Cannes. We selected the one at the train station because they had a key drop box inside the station if you returned the car after they closed at 6:00pm. We rented a compact car with a manual transmission. The price was about 130 euros including all taxes and fees. The train station is about a 10-15 minute walk from where the ships tender docked. The Avis clerks were very nice and helpful,however they do not provide maps, so either bring your own or stop at the info center at the train station. Also,although I had a international drivers license,15 dollars from AAA,the Avis clerks didn't ask for it and even stated that I didn't need one.

We had a great time driving around. We drove from Cannes to Ezze. After an hour in Ezze we drove down into Monaco and Monte Carlo. After driving around Monte Carlo we drove back along the Middle corniche road,back past Ezze and Nice and stopped at the town of Paul-st-Vence. After Paul- st- Vence we drove back to cannes, dropped the car off and still had about an hour to walk around Cannes. Hopes this helps,have a great cruise

Steven

Autoeurope (mentioned in a prior post) does not handle rentals of less than 3 days in length. There are several majors in Cannes that have offices within about 20 min distance. Most are on the Rue d'Antibes. Over the years we have had the best luck using Europcar, but we normally look at all the options and go with the low price. Be careful to check on the hours of each dealer since some open at 8, but others open at 9.

Hank

Archived