Possibly a first time Holland America Cruiser...

kcspaz14

Hello everyone,

We're looking to do a destination wedding in Bermuda. When looking around at various cruise lines to get us there from the New York/New Jersey port, we were debating between Royal Caribbean and NCL. Royal Caribbean is the nicer boat, but only stays in Bermuda for 2 days. NCL stays in Bermuda for 3 days. I was talking with my neighbor and they tipped us off about Holland America and how they will sailing from NY. The cruise is 7 days with 5 days in Bermuda.

We are definitely considering the Holland America cruise line now. I've never heard anything about them in the past. I've only been on 1 cruise before, and that was Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. It was a great ship and we had a lot of fun.

The trip we're looking into is on the ms Veendam in May. We're looking at probably having 20-25 guests.

Here are some questions I have:

1. How is the ms Veendam ship? Good shape?

2. What type of age group can I expect on the ms Veendam in middle/end of May? (we are in our mid-20s)

3. How is the food? I know there is an anytime dining feature, but we're really looking into sitting down together for scheduled dinners.

4. On Explorer of the Seas, there was an Ice Skating Rink, Rock Wall, lots of pools and hot tubs, and non-stop events and shows going on. Can I expect the same with ms Veendam?

5. Do they normally have a group discount for groups of 20+? I plan to call in the next few days, just wondering if anyone knows off-hand.

5. Any additional suggestions or tips for us?

Thanks!

I think the only thing going for you with HAL would be the five days in Bermuda. The average age on HAL is over 65. There will be a younger crowd when school is not in session. There is not much night life, no bowling alleys, climbing rocks,skating rink, disco (that is very active). You would be better off on Royal Carib or Carnival. Bingo and afternoon tea is fun. I am also wondering if you would be able to sit close together especially if it is in the lower dining room.

I think the only thing going for you with HAL would be the five days in Bermuda. The average age on HAL is over 65. There will be a younger crowd when school is not in session. There is not much night life, no bowling alleys, climbing rocks,skating rink, disco (that is very active). You would be better off on Royal Carib or Carnival. Bingo and afternoon tea is fun. I am also wondering if you would be able to sit close together especially if it is in the lower dining room.

Not true about the average age. The adult passengers ranged in age from about 25 - 75, not that the age demographics should influence your cruise experience in any way.

There IS a night life, but not like other cruise lines. There is a disco, and a lounge with live music, a piano bar and the Crow's Nest. No bowling alley, climbing rocks or skating rink.

As long as you make reservations in advance, you can try to all get the same fixed seating time, and make arrangements either with your TA or the ship services to have tables near each other.

Good luck, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and enjoy your cruise.

There IS a night life, but not like other cruise lines. There is a disco, and a lounge with live music, a piano bar and the Crow's Nest. No bowling alley, climbing rocks or skating rink.

There's no separate disco on the Veendam; it's in the Crow's Nest later at night. And the Piano Bar has been incorporated into The Mix. The dance venue is the Ocean Bar, with pop standards. There's also the Explorers Lounge with classical music.

As to the age of HAL passengers---we're old. Some are very old. A few are older than dirt. But we're fun. :D

I'm not very concerned with the age group, as I know we can have fun with any age group.

I'm more concerned with what type of entertainment there will be at night and during the day. Are there shows every night on the boat? I don't care much for dance clubs, but is there a nice sports bar or bar near the pools that we can hang out and have some drinks? I love live music, so anything of that sort is great. I guess my main worry is that we'll be sitting around with not much to do. I know on Royal Caribbean they had a schedule with an event going on every hour, whether that was a live show, karoake, or a belly flop contest.

Thanks for all the information so far!

Belly flop contest? :confused: On HAL? :eek: Not likely. There is a bar by the Lido pool, and another at the Retreat. That area hasn't gotten much use yet, as it is new and the ship has been in Alaska. There might be an hour of life music by the pool at lunch time.

Since HAL hasn't had a Bermuda run in decades I can't be sure it will be the same when it starts again, but, way back when, there were no stage shows allowed when the ship was docked in Bermuda. The lounges were open at night, and there used to be "fun and games" in the show lounge.

Archived