Tips

"Autotip" is not a tip but a surcharge. It is adjustable per Carnival policy. Remove it and tip as appropriate directly for excellent service. Pursers are going to give you hard time when you ask to remove this unauthorized charge, just tell them you don't want it on your bill.

Kindly post ACCURATE information. Autotip is NOT a surcharge, and the Purser's Desk will NOT give passengers a "hard time!"

A "SURCHARGE" cannot be removed or adjusted.

Asking "WHY?" is just good customer service.

Maybe I didn't word my question correctly. I have no intention of taking the auto-tip off but when the last night arrives how do they know that you have already tipped through the auto-tip?

I don't want to feel like I'm being "cheap" because I didn't physically hand them a tip even though i've already taken care of it through the auto-tip process. Do you just tell them I already tipped through auto-tip or are you given an envelope or something that shows you auto-tipped and you give them that?

Fred did a tour of the crew's quarters and photographed the list of pax who removed auto tips .... if you remove the tips, the crew will see your name on the list. ,,, Im betting they no longer give tours of the crew's quarters.

I understand they have special envelopes at the purser's desk that you can ask for, and give anyone who was exceptional for you, an additional tip.

We tipped our room steward extra on the first day, as well as midway through the cruise.

Aha! A bribe for better service! Do you do that at the hotel too?

Fred did a tour of the crew's quarters and photographed the list of pax who removed auto tips .... if you remove the tips, the crew will see your name on the list. ,,, Im betting they no longer give tours of the crew's quarters.

That was the galley.

Of the 1000 or so crew members on a ship, only 3-400 are involved in tips. They ALL know all the people that work at the Purser's Desk. All the non-officer crew work, eat, drink. and live together. It is silly to think the crew dos not know who has removed the auto tip. No list need be posted, THEY KNOW.

Just got back from the Carnival Pride cruise yesterday. At a Q&A session I attended with the cruise director, we were told that 95% of the salary of the stateroom and dining staff come from tips! Those guys work really hard and we received excellent service, so we took all our remaining cash and divided it up among those who served us on top of the $10 pp/pd that Carnival deducts.

Archived