Eze questions

dlhoward

I want to go to Eze and Nice but will also be tendered. I have questions about time in Eze. We will probably take the bus.

After getting on land how long does it take to walk to the bus station?

How long does it take to get to the lower Eze?

After getting on a bus to upper Eze, how long is that bus ride?

If we do have time to go to Nice, can you catch a bus in upper Eze or do you have to take a bus back down to lower Eze and get a bus to Nice?

I want to go to Eze and Nice but will also be tendered. I have questions about time in Eze. We will probably take the bus.

If we do have time to go to Nice, can you catch a bus in upper Eze or do you have to take a bus back down to lower Eze and get a bus to Nice?

We just returned from a med cruise on the Ruby 8/20. Our first port was Monte Carlo. All we (family of 4) wanted to do was to get to Eze by taxi. After spending an hour trying to wave down many empty taxis one finally stopped and offered to take us to Eze for 50 euros one way. We felt that if we weren't dripping in Gucci they didn't want to give us the time of day.

We walked too far to back track to the bus station by that point so we got on the local by to take us to the beach instead. Heat was also a factor in reducing our energy levels. As we were in Monte Carlo on a sunday we thought the local bus to eze didn't run so we didn't plan on it.

If I had to do Monaco again I would do a ship tour especially in August as the heat was a factor in reducing our energy level. Also, there is a red trolley tour for about 6 euros and in hindsight we should have done that first instead of trying to find a tax. The tour starts from near the Jacques Cousteau museum and seeing all those relaxed people touring around to get the overview of the area I wished we would have done that first. I think was about 6 euros.

We absolutely loved every other port and had great results except Monte Carlo. Everything else made up for it.

I hope this helps. If you still try the bus you might want to rule out taxis as a plan B.

Kathy

I have posted many times about the French taxi drivers in the south not really having must interest in cruise passengers. It can be difficult to even find a taxi, and if you do you should be prepared to pay pay pay. We have also posted many times on how to get to Eze by bus or train/bus (just do a search). There are buses to the actual village (this is on the Moyene Corniche road) that leave from both Nice (at the Gare Routiere) and Monte Carlo that cost about 1 Euro per person. It is also possible to take the train to the Eze/Bord sur Mer stop (this is along the coast below the village) where you can than get a local bus that takes you up to the village (the problem with this option is that the bus schedule does not always coincide with the trains). Of course there is our personal favorite option which is to simply rent a car for the day so that we can drive ourselves to Eze, St Paul de Vence (our favorite place), Nice, Antibes, etc etc.

Hank

thanks for the info Hank. Wish I would have read those posts about the taxis beforehand and had a better bus plan B. We checked into rental cars beforehand and couldn't find anything under $250 for the day. Who have you used in Monte Carlo for car rental in the past? Do you bus to the car rental or do they pick you up at the port?

Kathy

Here's the info I have for my upcoming cruise... I've not been there (yet) this isn't personal experieince.

Head to Nice first - on bus #100, then take either #82 or #112 straight to Eze village. This saves you from the uphill climb and/or waiting for #83 which sounds like it is a little less frequent.

This link was VERY helpful to me (I found it through another post here):

http://www.lignedazur.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5

Judy

thanks for the info Hank. Wish I would have read those posts about the taxis beforehand and had a better bus plan B. We checked into rental cars beforehand and couldn't find anything under $250 for the day. Who have you used in Monte Carlo for car rental in the past? Do you bus to the car rental or do they pick you up at the port?

Kathy

$250! WOW! We generally rent in MC from Hertz or Europcar and the price is about $100 per day. We can walk to their city offices. But, the trick with getting low rates in Europe is renting a small car with manual transmission. Trying to rent an automatic (if they are even available) can easily double the cost since automatics are not very popular in Europe. In Villefranche there is small regional French rental car company that will deliver cars to the tender pier for about the same price.

Hank

thanks for the info, Hank. We both drive manual so that wasn't a factor. We looked at several companies on line up to 2 months in advance up to 2 weeks and gave up . . . $250 would be cdn. We tried europcar first as we already had them booked for Santorini. Even my travel agent tried for us and couldn't find anything under $250. As we were there on a sunday I thought buses to EZE weren't running . . . Live and learn.I am sure it will work out better next time now that we have an overview of the area and what to expect.

Kathy

Because of back injury I am spending far too much time here! The problem in Europe at the moment is that the credit crunch and problems with car manufacturers is demolishing the previous basis for a reasonably priced car hire business. I wanted to hire a car for our son and DIL's visit (rugrats), last year circa €150 for a week, this year, €350. TAXI!!!!

thanks for the info, Hank. We both drive manual so that wasn't a factor. We looked at several companies on line up to 2 months in advance up to 2 weeks and gave up . . . $250 would be cdn. We tried europcar first as we already had them booked for Santorini. Even my travel agent tried for us and couldn't find anything under $250. As we were there on a sunday I thought buses to EZE weren't running . . . Live and learn.I am sure it will work out better next time now that we have an overview of the area and what to expect.

Kathy

Ahh. The ole Sunday problem! Renting cars in Italy and parts of France on a Sunday is, indeed, a real problem. The reason is that most city rental car offices are closed which cuts down on the competition. This either results in higher prices or means you must go to an airport rental office. For MC, the nearest airport is the Nice Cote d'Azur airport which is not very practical because of its distance from MC. The problem is even worse in Italy where it can sometimes be impossible to find a Sunday rental in certain areas. In fact, when we are ending or beginning a cruise in Civitavecchia, we make sure we choose cruises that do not begin or end on a Sunday.

Hank

About 10-15 minutes to l'Octroi stop (pls. see the directions & a map to this stop that I posted in another thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20309888&postcount=11)
10-15 minutes.
20 minutes
Upper Eze Village

The schedule shows where the bus departs/arrives ... Eze Bord de Mer is the lower village, and Eze-Village is the upper village.

It also shows the time to get from one stop to the other, e.g. from Eze Bord de Mer to Eze-Village on #83, and from Eze-Village to Nice on #82 and #112.

http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

Archived