Boston Folks

Pather

Would like info about hotels in Boston in relation to port. See a lot on boards about Boston activities but can't find anything about hotels. Are there any close? How much would a taxi be, to port, from downtown and other areas? Getting in on Fri and cruise Sat in Oct. Nice to be there while Red Sox are in the World Series - wishful thinking. Just interested in where cruisers usually stay. Thank you!

Marriott Long Wharf is a nice hotel right on the waterfront. 5 min or so cab ride away, can't tell you cost, sorry. The Omni Parker House is another nice hotel - I think it has been recently renovated. Not too far away either. The Bostonian is another nice one right in the heart of the action of Faneuil Hall. Again, no idea of taxi cost, but they are probably less than $20. There are others, but Boston hotels can be a bit pricey. You should also consider Priceline if you are not picky about location.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/boslw-boston-marriott-long-wharf/

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BostonParkerHouse.aspx

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/millenniumboston/

As far as Red Sox and the World Series. It will happen. We can still do it. So you just never know. This weekend will help decide.

Could you give us the exact dates, number of people, number of beds, and your budget? Boston hotels are expensive and fall weekends are busy in October because of the college events and leaf peepers. Folks have been doing very well on Priceline and Hotwire. With Hotwire it is usually possible to narrow down the hotel possibilities. The reality is that any 3.5*+ hotel in Back Bay, Financial District, Quincy Market, or South Boston will be an acceptable choice. All the areas are relatively close both to the tourist attractions and the pier - chances are you would have to walk or take the "T" to one or more places anyway (unless you are on the HoHo trolley)

Thank you. After posting, I looked into hotels for 10/16 and have to agree that they are costly. I started to wonder if there was a special event as all are around $250-$300 or more. Would staying at the airport be ok? Under $200 there. Would like to spend Fri afternoon and eve in the city. Easy to get from airport to downtown? I remember taking a water shuttle which was fun. How about getting to cruise port from airport hotel on Sat.? Thanks again!!

Airport is fine. Won't take you long at all to get into the city. Hyatt is a nice hotel as is the Hilton. We have stayed at the Hyatt pre-flight (2008) and liked it a lot - check for discounts and/or Hyatt certificates, they will save you some money as well. Also, it won't take you long at all to get to the pier on Sat. morning. 10 mins maybe 15. The hotels may even offere a shuttle to the landmark areas in town. Taxis will be plentiful as well.

as mentioned mid-October is popular foliage season and I am not sure when the Head of the Charles regatta race is, but it might be that weekend. Lots of college family days as well. Unfortunately, it is a very popular time of year.

Our favorite 3.5* hotel in Back Bay/Copley is showing on Hotwire for $124. I would take that over any airport hotel, a lot of which are actually in Revere or Saugus. The Back Bay hotel has been showing up a lot on Hotwire and is most likely the Sheraton - a number of folks have stayed there and liked it. The location is great - the Pru and Copley Place with all their shops and restaurants are right next door and the "T" and HoHo trolley stops are right there as well. Newbury St is close too. Boston Common and Faneuil hall are a Green Line trolley ride away. You will have to take a cab from Logan to the hotel, but it would still be cost effective for you.

Thanks to all - will look into Hotwire offerings. Hey Wog, still a Papi fan? Didn't hit many home runs here in Minnesota and then blamed manager for not letting him swing away. Now we know the real story. The air, OR SOMETHING, is better in Boston. Anyway, Go Sox.

Here's an emergency plan for you. The Harborside Inn is showing at $239 per night cancellable. Book that immediately with your credit card. http://www.harborsideinnboston.com/ Then keep monitoring Hotwire and Priceline to see if anything pops up. You can never tell - the Head of the Charles is a college event and these hotel prices are a bit steep for students. A lot of hotels may still have rooms blocked out for the Red Sox, but I don't think they will still be playing baseball on Oct 16 this year.

Thank you. Great plan. I just made reservations at Harborside and will keep me eyes open. Won't be too disappointed if nothing develops though as Harborside seems very nice. Years ago we stayed at a hotel that was right where the airport water shuttle docked. The bellman came to the dock and took our bags. if I remember correctly, it was very close to this location. Would it have been Harborside? Note that Harborside is 2 stops from airport on T. Should we take T, taxi, or water shuttle? We love staying in the middle of things - either here or Back Bay would be great. Thanks again!

Great - now you have a plan you can live with. I think the hotel you stayed in was the Boston Harbor Hotel - $385/night. If you can manage your luggage, you can take the "T" - airport shuttle bus to the "T" station (Blue Line) and the inbound train to Aquarium. $2/pp. Taxi would be about $25.

Thanks 138east. We'll each have just one bag so will probably grab the T. If we took the water shuttle, how far would we have to walk to Harborside? It's such a unique way to enter a city.... We're ok with pulling our luggage a few blocks. I think we'll stop looking for bargains and stick with Harborside. Glad you put us on to it.

The Head of the Charles is that weekend. Will that keep prices up? Thanks.

Yes! I work for a hotel, we'll easily sell out. Actually many Boston hotels sell out most of October at the highest rates of the year - combination of fall foliage, college parent's weekends, play-offs.

Yes! I work for a hotel, we'll easily sell out. Actually many Boston hotels sell out most of October at the highest rates of the year - combination of fall foliage, college parent's weekends, play-offs.

Which one if you dont mind me asking?...im local and I know the area,just curious

Boston is always rather expensive.

In addition to the Red Sox in the PlayOffs for October :) the weekends are full for the Leaf Peepers as well as the 16th is the Head of the Charles

You might want to try some of the outer [Quincy, Braintree] hotels and since many do the airport shuttle, ask them about the Cruiseport [it's on the way] :cool:

Thank you. After posting, I looked into hotels for 10/16 and have to agree that they are costly. I started to wonder if there was a special event as all are around $250-$300 or more. Would staying at the airport be ok? Under $200 there. Would like to spend Fri afternoon and eve in the city. Easy to get from airport to downtown? I remember taking a water shuttle which was fun. How about getting to cruise port from airport hotel on Sat.? Thanks again!!

Archived