Lucayan Beach

deecruzer

Has anyone ever visited Lucayan Beach on Grand Bahama Island? How far a cab ride is it? Are there beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent? I am looking for a place to spend the afternoon with these options. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Has anyone ever visited Lucayan Beach on Grand Bahama Island? How far a cab ride is it? Are there beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent? I am looking for a place to spend the afternoon with these options. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

There are shuttles there from the cruise pier for $5.00 per person, takes about 15-20 minutes. Nothing to rent, the beach chairs are property of the hotel, but as long as you eat and drink from their bar or restaurants they probably won't mind.

We did exactly that last month. Paid $20 pp for the use of the chairs and the pool. We spent a lot more time in the pool than the beach. Was not that impressed with the beach. Good food at the bar as well. You will enjoy your day. Very relaxing.

Do you have any pix of the beach? The pool?

I'd love to see if we're wasting our time going there.

I hate to intrude but if you don't mind I'd appreciate it.

Either on this board or my email is below.

Thanks so much.

We did exactly that last month. Paid $20 pp for the use of the chairs and the pool. We spent a lot more time in the pool than the beach. Was not that impressed with the beach. Good food at the bar as well. You will enjoy your day. Very relaxing.

So, you took a cab? Where did you tell the cab driver to go? A specific resort? Had you gotten in touch with anybody before you went? Stupid questions I know...but we're going in September and I'm having a hard time finding something to do in Freeport.

Going to Lucaya Beach ended up being a back-up plan. We had intended on making the Atlantis in Nassau our beach day but it was all booked up through the ship so we decided to go to the beach at the Freeport stop. Just a few days before leaving I had read on this board about the Sheraton/Westin complex at Lucaya. So when we got off the ship I asked the cabbie to take us to the Sheraton. There were several others going as well. When we got there we found out that Radisson had taken over the week before. I knew from reading this board that you could get what amounted to a day pass there, which was good for the use of the hotel pool, towels, beach chairs and the hotel facilities, although we never went inside the hotel because there were bathrooms outside the bar. So to answer your specific question, if you asked to be taken to the Sheraton or Radisson they would know what you're talking about. It is also right across the street from the straw market.

Going to Lucaya Beach ended up being a back-up plan. We had intended on making the Atlantis in Nassau our beach day but it was all booked up through the ship so we decided to go to the beach at the Freeport stop. Just a few days before leaving I had read on this board about the Sheraton/Westin complex at Lucaya. So when we got off the ship I asked the cabbie to take us to the Sheraton. There were several others going as well. When we got there we found out that Radisson had taken over the week before. I knew from reading this board that you could get what amounted to a day pass there, which was good for the use of the hotel pool, towels, beach chairs and the hotel facilities, although we never went inside the hotel because there were bathrooms outside the bar. So to answer your specific question, if you asked to be taken to the Sheraton or Radisson they would know what you're talking about. It is also right across the street from the straw market.

The Sheraton is now known as Our Lucaya Reef Village, and is no longer a Sheraton hotel, but all the taxi drivers will still know what you're talking about. It's the only Sheraton that has been on the island. Simply ask for the Our Lucaya Resort - the grounds are shared by both hotels (Radisson and Reef Village).

Thank you

Lucayan beach is NOT "Our Lucaya" or the Reef Village.

Lucayan beach is NOT "Our Lucaya" or the Reef Village.

Isn't Lucayan Beach the public portion of the beach right by Our Lucaya? It's a nice beach with chairs for rent, but no umbrellas. If not, then what are you referring to by Lucayan beach?

Isn't Lucayan Beach the public portion of the beach right by Our Lucaya? It's a nice beach with chairs for rent, but no umbrellas.

You are right... just wanted people to understand that "Our Lucaya" is the resort area.... I guess I should have stated that, thanks.

Archived