Tips for Barcelona taxi drivers

referee

I tried posting on the Europe(spain) site, but I got no responses. So i'll try here. We are going to Barcelona next month for a Voyager cruise, and was curious what an appropriate tip for a taxi driver is. I understand the fare from the airport to our hotel, is about 25 euros...Thanks

I've only been to BCN once and I was told by my local friends and another freind who travels there once a month, that tipping taxis is not the norm. On my first taxi ride from the airport to the hotel, the driver looked surprised when I tipped him about 10%. Each other time I was with friends and we never tipped. We occassionally left the change with the driver, but no tipping. Restaurants and other services expect tips.

Have taken three cruises out of Barcelona in the past three years & cab fares were somewhere in the vacinity of 30 to 40 euros depending on the area & number of luggage. Unlike Italy & France, command of english language is limited by cab drivers. Do exercise caution as they are notorious for their scenic route driving... $$$$$. As previous post, tipping is discretionary.

Here is an interesting web site for approximately taxi costs for Barcelona and other major cities. It's set up initionally to go from BCL airport to cruise pier but you can change destination by adding that address. Just remember to add approximate time of date or it defaults to local current time which has higher cost if during the night on weekend. Our taxi fare in Dec. of last year was just over 21E, which was what this site estimated at the time, and I gave the driver 23E which seemed to please him. Also you must have euro cash as they don't accept traveller's checks, credit/debit cards nor $US. I knew this from info on CC so I exchanged $40 to euros at airport exchange kiosk. The exchange rate was only slightly higher than the posted interbank rate on XE.com at the time and no extra service fee or charge was added for a cash exchange making it ideal to get small amount of euro cash.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/barcelona/aeropuerto-de-el-prat/Moll-de-Barcelona

Hi

We just back from Barcelona.

Our Taxi from Airport to Hotel (3 pieces of luggage)on Las Ramblas was 32 euros the traffic was heavy and took us about 50 mins in total. I gave him 35 euros and he semmed happy with that.

The driver did not speak much english at all, so was glad I had printed out the hotels address details for him to look at.

Hope this helps

Hi

We just back from Barcelona.

Our Taxi from Airport to Hotel (3 pieces of luggage)on Las Ramblas was 32 euros the traffic was heavy and took us about 50 mins in total. I gave him 35 euros and he semmed happy with that.

The driver did not speak much english at all, so was glad I had printed out the hotels address details for him to look at.

Hope this helps

Our driver didn't speak any english nor french, which is my mother tongue. I had the cruise terminal's location and ship's name printed out and it definately made it easier for the driver to know where we wanted to go.

So...if they take a more scenic route it is more $$$$? I thought you agreed on a set price before getting in? Just wondering why they would charge you more. Thanks..going in Nov.

Have taken three cruises out of Barcelona in the past three years & cab fares were somewhere in the vacinity of 30 to 40 euros depending on the area & number of luggage. Unlike Italy & France, command of english language is limited by cab drivers. Do exercise caution as they are notorious for their scenic route driving... $$$$$. As previous post, tipping is discretionary.

I tried posting on the Europe(spain) site, but I got no responses. So i'll try here. We are going to Barcelona next month for a Voyager cruise, and was curious what an appropriate tip for a taxi driver is. I understand the fare from the airport to our hotel, is about 25 euros...Thanks

Here's some info on tipping in Spain. http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishlife/qt/tippinginspain.htm :)

For taxis coins, less than a euro per Rick Steves.

We got a chuckle in Barcelona in July. I believe it was on the taxi ride from the port to our hotel after the cruise. Our fare ended up being a little over 16 euros, so I handed the driver a 20 euro bill and proceeded to grab our bags and walk toward the hotel entrance. He came running after me and somewhat had to chase me down to give me my change. I intended it as a tip, but he practically forced it back into my hands. You certainly wouldn't see that in the States. Ha.

Taking the taxi in the port is expensive, and the same happens in the airport, but not as expensive as 100€. I think that it will cost about 40 or 50€, more or less.

Isn't it only about 6 miles away? Are you saying that if we walk out of the port a ways, then it would be cheaper? Like from the Columbus monument area, or would you have to walk further? Thank you for your help.

Isn't it only about 6 miles away? Are you saying that if we walk out of the port a ways, then it would be cheaper? Like from the Columbus monument area, or would you have to walk further? Thank you for your help.

You could take the blue bus from the dock to the Columbus monument (3 euros RT). Then take the metro line 3 from Drassanes to Pg de Gracia, then switch to metro line 2 from Pg de Gracia to Sagrada Familia (total1.2 euros each way).

You could take the blue bus from the dock to the Columbus monument (3 euros RT). Then take the metro line 3 from Drassanes to Pg de Gracia, then switch to metro line 2 from Pg de Gracia to Sagrada Familia (total1.2 euros each way).

Wow! Thank you so much! We will not be involved in "highway robbery", so the metro it is. Just thought it would be easier to catch a cab. Sorry if I hijacted the thread...

Happy Cruising.

Wow! Thank you so much! We will not be involved in "highway robbery", so the metro it is. Just thought it would be easier to catch a cab. Sorry if I hijacted the thread...

Happy Cruising.

You are most welcome. For more follow this link to a lot of good info about getting to/from the Barcelona cruise port http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html .

You are most welcome. For more follow this link to a lot of good info about getting to/from the Barcelona cruise port http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html .

We will check out this link. Thank you. I guess we should look up where our ship will be docked first. BTW, I love the pic of you and your girlfriend in the Gondola in Venice!

Thank you again.

Taking the taxi in the port is expensive, and the same happens in the airport, but not as expensive as 100€. I think that it will cost about 40 or 50€, more or less.

Caballita de mar, This is a port question. Can wine be bought after going thru security and before boarding the ship? Are there any shops at the port?

Archived