Mille 6144 or 7212?

babs-d

I'd switch in a minute, especially if you are on an Alaska cruise. The view from the aft is fantastic for these cruises.

I second that! And I've stayed in both staterooms.

Here's another twist to my dilemma. The CC category has gone up by about $500 since I booked. Would I be able to switch to the aft cabin (which is also CC) without a price increase? Maybe the answer will make my decision for me.

There's no problem switching within the same category. I always prefer the aft cabins because of the size and location of the balcony. Being able to see the wake and a 180 degree both side view is great. There's lots of ventilation, just not extremely windy on the balcony. That being said, the Alaska itinerary makes it even more valuable to have that side to side view. 7212 is also a handicapped cabin and is considerably larger than other CC cabins.

We haven't had the other cabin, but 7212 was our cabin in NZ/Aust. The cabin is HUGE,(over 300 ') but not fancy, the bath is about half the size as a reg cabin alone. To make space for wheelchair the middle of cabin is quite empty, we really enjoyed the space. Contrary to other aft cabins, you don't get such a "tunnel" effect...as the balcony is 13x20...260+ Sq ' just for the balcony. The only larger one is right below....the penthouse. You have 4 loungers and 4 reg chairs plus a large table and a small one (can use between chairs for drinks or as footstool) We LOVED that balcony, and cabin also!!!:D

We had 6136 on Millie (same cabin) and an aft on Century. I know that I am in the minority here on these boards, but I did not enjoy the aft cabin like I thought I would. I just don't enjoy cruising backwards!

Hi Muushka:)

The aft on the Century is not quite the same as on the M Class ships. Just as the Solstice afts are not like the M Class ships.

The M Class ships have beautiful aft cabins and huge balconies.

Do we run the risk of getting bumped from our cabin? We are not handicapped but the cabin is currently available to anyone. I would be heartbroken if we gave up 6144 to be in 7212 and then got bumped into a "regular" CC. Any chance of this happening? Still on the fence....

Do we run the risk of getting bumped from our cabin? We are not handicapped but the cabin is currently available to anyone. I would be heartbroken if we gave up 6144 to be in 7212 and then got bumped into a "regular" CC. Any chance of this happening? Still on the fence....

Yes, this can happen. Celebrity can bump you to another CC cabin, or higher category.

If it were my decision, I'd stay put. There still remains the chance that they'll need the aft for someone who is handicapped--then where would you be? The other thing to consider is the placement of the beds. In 6144, you'll be rocked side to side. In the aft, you'll be rocked head to toe. That may not make a difference to you, but it's something to take into consideration. We stick with 6143 because of that. We prefer the side to side motion.

Very good point, Happy Cruiser, one I hadn't thought of. We've had beds situated where you're rocked head to toe and I definitely prefer the side to side rocking. Although we haven't switched, it's so tempting because of the spaciousness 7212 has to offer in cabin, bathroom and balcony. And hard to believe, it's still available!

I wouldn't switch for one reason and one reason only, you are booking a handicapped cabin and you can be bumped if a handicapped person needs it. Are you willing to take the chance? How likely is this to happen? No one can say for sure. If I were booked in a standard CC cabin, I would switch, but you will find the service you receive in the Penthouse area is the best you are going to get on the entire ship. Your cabin is about a foot wider and the balcony is really nice. There are only six cabins I would switch to from 6144. Those are 7206, 7208, 7203, 8170, 8172, & 8185. I wouldn't switch to Deck Nice or any of the three hanidcapped aft cabins. You will love 6144!

Steve

• 1 month later...
We are going to Alaska in May 2010 and booked room 8170 on M is the balcony larger than the normal CC cabins

The balcony for that cabin is 20 feet deep and you have a view of the wake of the ship. You will love this cabin.

Archived