The reality is....

Another reality.........

Nobody has to sign on the bottom line. And, nobody has to sign up for the subsequent jobs.

Many who work on ships have been doing it for years...and are quite fine with it.

Patient to Doctor; "Everytime I do THIS it hurts so bad."

Doctor to Patient: "Then stop doing it".

Posting that article on this site is like posting an article about the value of Japanese cars on a Buy American site.

I am always respectful of the cruise ship employees and appreciate the sacrifices they are making by being away from family for extended periods.

I have to believe that they feel they can do better for themselves and their families by working on cruise ships for a portion of their life.

Workers in every industry can complain about working conditions. Have you ever figured out the hourly wages of medical interns and residents who have completed years of study and then work 36 hour shifts with minimal sleep.

Have you ever figured out the hourly wages of medical interns and residents who have completed years of study and then work 36 hour shifts with minimal sleep.

Or some PFC in Afghanistan whose families spend a lot of their time praying they don't see his name on George Stephanopolis's In Memoriam list on Sunday morning.

How ignorant some people are.

Lioness, I agree with you!

Some of these people are forced into these types of jobs, they come from countries where employment is limited and in order to support themselves and/or others they must do this. Do you think it's really a choice? No. Unfortunatley, these people are not from countries where we they have financial security to help the lazy. These people are not lazy and are working. Look at our system! So before anyone judges these people saying they have the choice, you may be one of the people whom are picking up the welfare or government funding checks that many in our country so deeply depend on.

Seriously people, get a grip. Just because we can afford these cruises and have choices, don't be so unempathetic to others.

How ignorant some people are.

Lioness, I agree with you!

Some of these people are forced into these types of jobs, they come from countries where employment is limited and in order to support themselves and/or others they must do this. Do you think it's really a choice? No. Unfortunatley, these people are not from countries where we they have financial security to help the lazy. These people are not lazy and are working. Look at our system! So before anyone judges these people saying they have the choice, you may be one of the people whom are picking up the welfare or government funding checks that many in our country so deeply depend on.

Seriously people, get a grip. Just because we can afford these cruises and have choices, don't be so unempathetic to others.

so you are saying they are being rounded up and taken away and forced to work on a cruise ship? They see the opportunity to earn money, for where they come from it is probably great money, but the trade off is they are away from their families. That is a choice. They can choose to stay in their home countries and work whatever type of job they offer there for less money and not provide the same type of life to their family. I treat them well and am always respectful and actually enjoy the contact with them when it is there. I didn't see them as some sort of indentured servant though and no chains around their ankles connected to vacuum cleaner or something. I feel bad that they must spend such long periods of time away from their families, but then again I feel bad for some of things people in this country must deal with as well.

Archived