Hotel in Venice

Shay123

Hi,

We are on the September 16th Rome to Venice cruise. We are going to spend one extra night in Venice and have an 8:30am flight the following day. Does anyone have a hotel they would recommend that would be convenient to the airport but also centrally located? I don't mind taking a water taxi, regular taxi, whatever, just as long as it is easy enough to do so.

Thank you again!

Shay

Hi,

We are on the September 16th Rome to Venice cruise. We are going to spend one extra night in Venice and have an 8:30am flight the following day. Does anyone have a hotel they would recommend that would be convenient to the airport but also centrally located? I don't mind taking a water taxi, regular taxi, whatever, just as long as it is easy enough to do so.

Thank you again!

Shay

I would highly recommend a small hotel right at a public water taxi (vaporetto) stop - the Palazzo Sant' Angelo. http://www.sinahotels.com/images/home_santangelo_img2.jpg It was fabulous and well located on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge and an easy walk to St Mark's Square. http://www.sinahotels.com/eng/palazzosantangelo_home.htm The concierge was very helpful to us. Food and rooms were great! Enjoy your trip!

Hi,

Thank you again!

Shay

I was very pleased with the Locando Orselo also close to St. Mark's Square. www.locandaorseolo.com/

1. In October 2006, we spent four days at the Al Ponte Mocenigo, which is located 50 flat yards from the St. Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal, only five short stops from the bus station, but also has its own water taxi entrance on its small St. Stae side canal. It is perenially ranked as one of the top hotels on sister website tripadvisor.

We just booked two more nights there before our cruise next April embarking in Venice.

I just do not know how early one could get a private water taxi in Venice because you have to be at the airport by 7 AM, I assume.

2. It is my understanding that there is a nice hotel near the airport (a Sofitel?). With an 8:30 AM flight, perhaps that would be the best place to stay.

Shay,

I have been to Venice several times now...I have stayed near Piazza San Marco, I have stayed near Piazzale Roma...I have been there as a pre-cruise, I have been there as a post-cruise...I have flown in, I have flown our...I have arrived and departed by train...and I have actually driven in and out!

I'm going to try to give you my best generic advice first...

Your biggest concern is not going to be being "centrally located" in Venice...Once settled into your hotel, getting around anywhere in Venice is easy...We'll get to that part later...

Your biggest concern will be getting to the airport in the morning...

So, you basically have three choices as to where to stay: 1) at the airport, 2) the area near Piazzale Roma, or 3) anywhere else in Venice other than P. Roma (including P. San Marco)...

Some folks always show up on these boards recommending the airport area (Mestre)...It's cheaper, it's close to your morning target...but, OTOH, you've got to get all the way from the ship to Mestre, check in and then head back to Venice to see it, then, likely at night, you've got to make the journey back over in the dark...and there is nothing charming or memorable about it...I, personally, would never stay there...

The problem with staying elsewhere in Venice is logistics...When we stayed at Piazza San Marco last time (the Anastasia), in order to get to the airport, we first took the Vaporetto all the way down the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma, then switched there to ground transportation--the whole process took almost 2 hours...Of course, there are easier ways to get from San Marco to the Airport...Simplest option is a water taxi...it is just very expensive...There are also boat options that do it...but you deal with limited schedules and you also have to deal with getting from your hotel to the proper Alilaguna pier...

My recommendation is to stay near Piazzale Roma. P. Roma is the transportation hub of Venice--the only place in Venice proper where you can drive a car, catch a bus or taxi...

You have the advantage of being in Venice proper...being able to stay out late and enjoy the city...but also to have a short ride to the airport...We have stayed nearby at the Capri, the Carlton and the Sofitel and can recommend any of those three. P. Roma is a short 5 minute walk away--easy if you have rolling suitcases...and from P. Roma, you can grab a plain old Taxi cab or even use the public bus--they have an Airport bus that has large luggage areas and racks and makes only one or two stops (if no one's there, than zero) on the way to the airport and is there in 30 minutes...

Now, from P. Roma or other stations along the Grand Canal, you can take the public bus-boats, called Vaporetti and go anywhere--even to off islands like Lido, Burano and Murano...and a 24 hour ticket that includes all the on and offs you want is only a few euros--and that airport bus, should you decide to use it, is INCLUDED on the Vaporetti pass...

Also, Oceania (if they are still doing it like in 2006, when we ended our Nautica cruise in Venice) will have free shuttles from the cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma...

Good luck...

I would highly recommend a small hotel right at a public water taxi (vaporetto) stop - the Palazzo Sant' Angelo. http://www.sinahotels.com/images/home_santangelo_img2.jpg It was fabulous and well located on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge and an easy walk to St Mark's Square. http://www.sinahotels.com/eng/palazzosantangelo_home.htm The concierge was very helpful to us. Food and rooms were great! Enjoy your trip!

I highly recommend this hotel as well - fantastic location and they really look after you. They dont have a restaurant and so dont serve dinner if thats an issue for you. Of course there are a heap of places to eat very nearby

Thank You Everyone!

I actually have a reservation at the Palazzo Sant Angelo so I will keep that for now. I also made a reservation at the ex Sofitel so I will continue to do some research. I know I can get a water taxi from the Sant Angelo but that will cost about $150. I need to look into the prices from the Sofitel.

Shay

We were ther ein July. Stayed in St. MArk's square. Oreseola Locanda. We loved the place. Staff could not have been more helpful. Had an 8:00am flight so we had to get up by 4:00am. You can take a water taxi right from the hotel but it is very $$$$$ OR,You can take the Alilaguna http://timetable.alilaguna.it/ from San Marco (Giardinetti) to the airport for something like 13 euros. There's one at 4:50 that gets in at 6:09. We did the alilaguna and it was maybe a short 10 minute walk to the station outside of St. mark's square. No need to get tickets before hand either--they will charge you on the boat. It was about 45-1 hour trip to get to the airport.

Archived